Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Release Thread

Max Heap

Arcane
Video of the player carrying something that kinda resembles the moon stones from Ultima.

Could be a dummy item though.

One and a half months...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
$30 is the new $40: https://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=6091.0

Morning everyone!

I know many of you have been curious about how we'll fare since our original release month was inching closer. We just released a new trailer, and a new launch date:

Watch the Trailer Here

We launch for PC via Steam on November 15 for $29.99, and for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Switch in 2019.

Let us know what you think of the trailer!
cheesy.gif

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The $30 price makes me thing it's actually gonna be a very short game. We already see that the trailer reuses an area that they show off for the spinner trap (either that or some areas look exactly the same).

That's not a huge deal I suppose, but if its not as long as Underworld 1 we might have a problem.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/press...NT_DESCENDS_ONTO_PC_WORLDWIDE_NOVEMBER_15.php

CALABASAS, Calif. – August 20, 2018 – Underworld Ascendant, the fan-funded action RPG from independent game studio OtherSide Entertainment, co-founded by Paul Neurath (Ultima Underworld, Thief) and Warren Spector (Deus Ex, Epic Mickey), will descend onto Steam for PC Thursday, November 15, 2018 for $29.99 USD, published by 505 Games. A new trailer unveiled today at Gamescom invites players back to the memorable fantasy dungeon of the Stygian Abyss, introducing the game’s main antagonist Typhon, father of monsters and nemesis of Zeus: https://youtu.be/cQTYVHxL8zk.

In Underworld Ascendant, players assume the role of ‘The Ascendant,’ summoned to the Stygian Abyss by a mysterious figure – Cabirus. There, they learn that Typhon, a threat to both their worlds, can only be stopped by the player. To defeat Typhon, players must uncover secrets of what happened to the inhabitants of the Abyss, gain favour with their descendants and share their knowledge and strength with them to defeat Typhon.

In a throwback to game industry veterans’ Paul Neurath and Warren Spector’s celebrated past, Underworld Ascendant boasts a gameplay experience that encourages different playstyles and rewards experimentation in a dungeon environment that reacts dynamically to player choices. Players can choose from a variety of items, skills and abilities that allow them to experience the game in many different ways. They must think creatively to devise unique solutions to overcome the challenges they face in the Abyss, with each decision holding great opportunity and grave consequence.

Qualified press can be among the first to experience a new level in Underworld Ascendant with hands-on behind-closed-doors demos at Gamescom. To book an appointment, please email Racheal Caswell rcaswell@505games.com (North American inquiries) or William Capriata w.capriata@505games.it (European inquiries).

Underworld Ascendant will be published on Steam for PC on November 15, 2018 by 505 Games. Players can Wishlist the game now at: http://store.steampowered.com/app/692840

To learn more about Underworld Ascendant, please visit: www.underworldascendant.com.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
To be honest I don’t care much for game length; I rather have an entertaining 12-15 hour game than a padded 30 hour game... let alone a 60 hour grind

On the other hand the delay is great news, the game looks like it needs a lot of extra polish, especially on the animations and mechanics, plus we STILL have not even seen the NPC interactions

Edit: WTF? Steam only? I do remember there beign a DRM option and NO way I am using that spyware shit!

Edit2: Confirmed; a no DRM option is mentioned on the pitch

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Speaking of publishers, I wonder what their publisher, 505 Games, have seen about this game. They must have seen the content Otherside has been hide form public due to reasons (spoiler, lack of polish).

Also they seem to have no other release in Q3 (Bloodstained here? Likely not) and in Q4 they have fairly big release (console version of Overkill's The Walking Dead in November). Could Othersie afford a delay longer than a month from the publisher?

delayed to November 15th.

Heh, and The Walking Dead delayed from November to next year: https://gematsu.com/2018/08/overkills-the-walking-dead-delayed-to-february-2019-for-ps4-xbox-one

Bloodstained (as expected) also slipped into 2019. Underworld Ascendant became 505's major Q4 release.

Max Heap

Arcane
Boy oh boy, some of the comments under that trailer sure are fucking stupid.

Os1JGsr.png

This whole immersive sim deal is slowly becoming the video game version of a bunch of impressionable first-semester college kids, following some delusional academic old fart, repeating his every word and trying to explain the world by his script.

Big Wrangle

Boy oh boy, some of the comments under that trailer sure are fucking stupid.

Os1JGsr.png

This whole immersive sim deal is slowly becoming the video game version of a bunch of impressionable first-semester college kids, following some delusional academic old fart, repeating his every word and trying to explain the world by his script.
20 bucks they didn't play any of those games.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

The developers of this are more obsessed with fancy physics than actually making a good RPG.

Their first focus should have been to get the RPG side nailed down. A strong plot and NPC interaction, good combat and good character development etc. Instead they seem more worried about the weight of skeletons and crates.

Curratum

I'm slightly relieved by the delay but this will probably only push the game up from a total, raging, incomplete dumpster fire up to a bland heap of popamole "immershun pheesiks" garbage.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm slightly relieved by the delay but this will probably only push the game up from a total, raging, incomplete dumpster fire up to a bland heap of popamole "immershun pheesiks" garbage.
It would be fun and games if this was some popamole legacy game we were talking about... but goddamit this is the people who made Ultima Underworld, perhaps the most influential 3D game this side of Doom ffs
It fucking deserves better

SophosTheWise

Cipher

The developers of this are more obsessed with fancy physics than actually making a good RPG.

Their first focus should have been to get the RPG side nailed down. A strong plot and NPC interaction, good combat and good character development etc. Instead they seem more worried about the weight of skeletons and crates.

This happens when you don't realize what actually makes games awesome. Then you start to build cloud-castles instead of video games.

The most ridiculous pipe-dream being "total freedom". Everybody marvels at the concept of total freedom in games, even though the definition of a game is that it's a playground restricted through rules. Restricting freedom in games make the core-gameplay possible.
Then people start to build open worlds because they somehow believe "exploring" is fun - except it isn't. Have you ever explored a whole city in real life? Probably not, because it's fucking boring. What's fun about exploring is not exploring itself, but discovery, danger, marvel. And games are so good, when they try to *simulate* that, not when they try to organically create it.

What I'm trying to say: whenever devs have the vision of creating "total freedom" for their games, it fails. Every damn time. Because most of the time they spend 90% of their budget creating their systems for making freedom possible, only to realize that in order to use freedom, there has to be meaningful content to "be free" about in the first place. What the hell do I care if I can open a door or pull a lever in 3490589 ways when there's no compelling reason to do so?

I want to experience a dangerous journey through a vast dungeon. This, so far, looks just like a children's sandbox with a dungeon skin.

Ash

Arcane
Well said.

Precisely why the excessive m'emergent gameplay focus is stupid. A degree of emergent gameplay potential is good, but the more true freedom/less restriction and control involved, the less design and game rules are involved. This is simply a downgrade from the old intelligently-designed classics.

SophosTheWise

Cipher
Well said.

Precisely why the excessive m'emergent gameplay focus is stupid. A degree of emergent gameplay potential is good, but the more true freedom/less restriction and control involved, the less design and game rules are involved. This is simply a downgrade from the old intelligently-designed classics.

Exactly. There are games with fantastic emergent gameplay such as Crusader Kings 2. But gameplay can only "emerge" because everything beforehand is carefully handcrafted. Purely physics-based emergent gameplay was never any good. Or at least I can't rememember anything good.

Big Wrangle

I knew this was gonna happen ever since they started to place too much emphasis on "creativity" to the point it was shoehorned into the plot. Trying to accomodate to literally every approach ever is impossible, and many of said approaches were based on using the systems in unexpected ways in the first place.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Everyone is an expert apparently.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom