Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unhealthy interest in sales figures

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Selling less and less since it's been over 4 years since release. I'd say it's a miracle it's still selling and still being mentioned here and there:

https://gurugamer.com/pc-console/top-10-underrated-role-playing-games-8590
^ from few days ago.

I think we sold 23-24k copies in 2019 vs 27k in 2018, not counting bundle sales.

Deleted Member 22431

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Plus the game looks better and despite it obviously being mechanically heavier, it can pass as nu xcom lookalike and there are obvious market for it (mutant year zero, Phoenix point, etc).

It's overall easier sell than aod

agris

Arcane
Patron

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Plus the game looks better and despite it obviously being mechanically heavier, it can pass as nu xcom lookalike and there are obvious market for it (mutant year zero, Phoenix point, etc).

Having never played AOD, I would still instantly pick up Colony Ship as it's the super rare breed of being an actual sci-fi RPG and I can count those with my hands.

Codex Year of the Donut

Having never played AOD, I would still instantly pick up Colony Ship as it's the super rare breed of being an actual sci-fi RPG and I can count those with my hands.
pleb fantasy lovers don't know how good they've got it

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Selling less and less since it's been over 4 years since release. I'd say it's a miracle it's still selling and still being mentioned here and there:

^ from few days ago.

I think we sold 23-24k copies in 2019 vs 27k in 2018, not counting bundle sales.
Did the release of DR give a sales spike to AoD?
No, it was the other way around. DR was released with zero media coverage and thus became a game people would buy after playing AoD.

Any expectation that Colony Ship will do the same for DR/AoD?
Being a full-scale RPG, it might, but then again after playing an RPG on Unreal engine not many people would want to play an RPG built on ancient Torque.

Anyway, as of Dec 31: AoD - 225,802, DR - 79,796.

Deleted Member 22431

Being a full-scale RPG, it might, but then again after playing an RPG on Unreal engine not many people would want to play an RPG built on ancient Torque.
I'm surprised that using a new engine didn't delay the development process at all. You were right in dumping Torque.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

^ from few days ago.

Did the release of DR give a sales spike to AoD?
No, it was the other way around. DR was released with zero media coverage and thus became a game people would buy after playing AoD.

Any expectation that Colony Ship will do the same for DR/AoD?

Anyway, as of Dec 31: AoD - 225,802, DR - 79,796.

Almost a third of a million copies in total. You've come a long way.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Also it makes me think the ROI on DR may have been better than for AoD. Not that surprising if true, as there must have been a significant learning curve to making AoD.

Black Angel

Arcane

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Having never played AOD,
Mate, what the fuck are you doing? You're doing yourself a disservice of not playing the game that stood together with Underrail in bringing about the Second RPG Renaissance.
Out of curiosity, when was the First RPG Renaissance ?

Oblivion and Gothic 3....2006

Oblivion and gothic 3 is the opposite of Renaissance. . . . Ecnassianer.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Vault Dweller When do you prefer we buy Colony Ship? I plan on buying it at some point, but I won't play it until release. Do you prefer we buy it now because you need money to finish it? Or would you rather we wait and buy it at full price on release?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Oooof I'm almost there in the big boys league, haven't quite cracked five figure games sold yet.

Codex Year of the Donut
In the first month we sold 14,271 copies. In comparison AoD sold ~3,300 copies during the same period in Early Access, so we can consider it a very promising start. I never hype our games but if the players liked the first, fairly low-key chapter, they're going to love what comes next.
How much of this do you think can be explained away by Steam's increasing customer base rather than increased interest in the game itself? It has been what, 8 years since AoD was in early access?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
In the first month we sold 14,271 copies. In comparison AoD sold ~3,300 copies during the same period in Early Access, so we can consider it a very promising start. I never hype our games but if the players liked the first, fairly low-key chapter, they're going to love what comes next.
How much of this do you think can be explained away by Steam's increasing customer base rather than increased interest in the game itself? It has been what, 8 years since AoD was in early access?

Good question. I'm assuming it does have an impact, but haven't seen any case studies on how big that impact could be. In either case it's not something devs really worry about as we can't exactly control Steam's popularity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom