Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unicorn Overlord - Tactical RPG by Vanillaware

Reinhardt

Arcane
almost there. hired 50+ generic characters to place my people in charge everywhere. now only need to decide on future wife and kill galerius.

keRdIkl.png

Sentinel

Arcane
almost there. hired 50+ generic characters to place my people in charge everywhere. now only need to decide on future wife and kill galerius.

keRdIkl.png
Wait, can't you place generics in charge instead?

I hate leaving the unique characters behind.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I hate leaving the unique characters behind.
"behind"
It's not like it matters? Only reason to place specific characters is to give them gifts so you can get alain affection.

I'm slowly making my way through the game. Finished elheim now. Quite a big level gap to bastorias, so I guess I'll have to clean up some optional content.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It doesn't matter who you put as a guard in cities. You can use them anyway.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
Oh yeah I forgot lol. Sorry, played the tutorial like 2 weeks ago. Only resumed playing yesterday. About to rescue Scarlett soon.

KingDoofus

Scholar
Beat the game recently and had a blast doing it. Started another playthrough on True Zenoiran difficulty and I've gotta say - it needs to turn off the battle forecast. Or at the very least have the option to turn it off. Would make the game completely different and with the knowledge gained from a first playthrough, I think a lot more fun for a challenge run.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Beat the game recently and had a blast doing it. Started another playthrough on True Zenoiran difficulty and I've gotta say - it needs to turn off the battle forecast. Or at the very least have the option to turn it off. Would make the game completely different and with the knowledge gained from a first playthrough, I think a lot more fun for a challenge run.
I think the game would become a lot harder, but also probably less fun the way it currently is with forecast turned off. A thing I've noticed quite a lot is that the result will frequently go from me having a total wipe to taking 10 damage, and the only difference is if I enable or disable the ranged support (which deals 1-4 damage on all enemies). Maybe I'm bad, but the variance just seems too high in a way that isn't fun, at least when using non-stacked formations.

KingDoofus

Scholar
I think the game would become a lot harder, but also probably less fun the way it currently is with forecast turned off. A thing I've noticed quite a lot is that the result will frequently go from me having a total wipe to taking 10 damage, and the only difference is if I enable or disable the ranged support (which deals 1-4 damage on all enemies). Maybe I'm bad, but the variance just seems too high in a way that isn't fun, at least when using non-stacked formations.
I agree with you about the potential randomness of it. I don't think it would work at all for a first playthrough. But having the option to turn it off would add a lot of chaos - and that's what I would look forward to at this point.

Even on True Zenoiran difficulty (the one unlocked in new game plus), the minor stat bumps the enemies are given isn't making the game significantly harder (this run is actually easier since I know the nuances of the game now). I still always feel in control, never at risk, and never having to significantly change my gameplan from the very start of a mission - if there's a bad result coming from a combat, I just don't engage. I can create riskier formations, confident that anytime I've got a bad result coming I'll know well in advance. But throw that potential for a really bad combat to happen? To have a character downed and have my unit go into a vulnerable waiting status? Now I have to think on the fly, now I have to prepare for the worst, now I'm actually engaged as a commander on these maps. Right now the main part of this game takes place in preparing your units. And that's fine! I really enjoy the squad creation. But playing out the maps themselves isn't that hard once you're confident in your team composition. Taking away the battle forecast would completely change how you engage any map (and any combat).

Again, I don't even think this should even be an option for a first playthrough (it's going to lead to nothing but frustration). And I'm not confident saying it should be defaulted to for True Zenoiran either, just that the player should be given that option. Once you're comfortable enough with the game from a completion, you'll have enough knowledge to know from a glance which engagements are risky and which aren't; basically, I want some tension in these maps.

Falksi

Arcane
Must be embarrassing for Square suits how this game just mogged the FF7 remake.
Square need to fuck off and die.

The breathing room and spotlight their absence will give to way better JRPGs such as Unicorn Overlord, Yakuza, Persona etc. would do everyone a favour.

Fucking multiverse reboots of 1 game stretched over 3 games, is there any worse standard in the industry? No is the answer.

MasPingon

Arcane
It would be fine as a real forecast. But it isn't "forecast", the game exactly tell you who and how would win before a battle. There should be some kind of probability of this forecast, the battle should take luck and random chance(like criticals) into consideration. Battles should deviate from predicitions, at least a bit. Watching it would be so much more interesting this way.

Yosharian

Arcane

Yosharian

Arcane
Oh it's just a Switch emulator. I thought it was on PS5.

Which emulator did you use? I heard Yuzu got wrecked.

BlackPlate

Novice
It's the fault of RNG being fixed on a battle instance on the same setup, so you are forced to move your units and equiped items around in some minor variance to score some vital hit/miss in the battle that turns it all around. It's such an integral part of the gameplay that I don't know how turning it off would make it more fun. You would have to know in advance the stats, skills and counters to every enemy unit and how they function in a squad, per level.
If someone can make it work, great, but the effort that would be required doesn't seem worth it from the side of actually having fun. Better to just take it for what it is and have fun with it. Alternatively, having more Coliseum-esque battles would be neat.

I've been really enjoying this. Normally I burn out on strategy RPGs, but this one has a good pace with plenty to do and I'm just generally a fan of Vanillaware. So far the angel girl from the first zone has been my MVP, the only person I've executed so far was the archer who was threatening to shoot her. You keep your dirty mitts away from her!

I don't mind that the game isn't ball-bustingly difficult, but I am starting to agree with the battle outcome previews making it a bit too easy to 'game' everything. The battle preview being 100% accurate when you're targetting an enemy completely across the stage just takes out any guesswork and makes coming up with a bullet-proof strategy a little too easy at times. Maybe if the battle preview only happened when you and the enemy unit were nose to nose it would be a decent compromise.

Yosharian

Arcane
Well OK then the torrent for Unicorn Overlord had a fucking trojan in it and also it installed Opera GX without asking me, serves me right I guess.

Does anyone have a safe source for the files?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom