Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unity reveals plans to charge developers per game install - plans modified and CEO fired, lol

Trithne

Erudite
I guaran-fucking-tee you they are nowhere near the revenue thresholds to have to pay jack shit to Unity. It sells for 3$, and has an all-time peak of 11 players. They are absolutely not the target here.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I guaran-fucking-tee you they are nowhere near the revenue thresholds to have to pay jack shit to Unity. It sells for 3$, and has an all-time peak of 11 players. They are absolutely not the target here.
But why waste a chance to play the victim and virtue-signal about charities and abortion?

Their whole game is about that: they're based in the EU, yet the game supports women abortion rights in the US, and gives charity money to US-based Planned Parenthood, and a Michigan Hospital.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
e689f8f76aa6a19aa62290170dbd7b33c1d26601.png

TLDR: Unity does not recognize Planned Parenthood and C. S. Mott's Children Hospital as "valid' charities.

The childrens hospital provides 'gender affirming care' for children. Unity is anti abortion and anti trannies, maybe they are not so bad after all. Strap yourselves in, looks like the drama is just starting.

Maybe we're thinking about this whole "Unity is ruined" thing the wrong way.

Hellraiser

Arcane
BTW wasn't Ricitello head of EA when Criterion got bought and killed (or ordered/set in motion the killing of) their Renderware engine that even Rockstar used? Seems he just got his engine body count up to two.

One thing that got me thinking - wouldn't this be a good time to sell your old engine if you sit on something like that? I have always dreamed of someone picking up the Silent Storm engine.

If you have the resources to properly document it, develop/clean up in-house tools used with the engine and open a new customer service department hiring a bunch of people (not to mention account managers and other sales staff), sure. But something like Silent Storm's engine seeing a new commercial life as a product is almost impossible, the original documentation is probably lost after all these years and it would be too much effort, for too much of a niche thing, to bother. That and where is the value added versus just taking unreal or unity and trying to do the tactical framework in those? Odds are the legacy and original implementation of things in SS's engine is so unflexible and causes issues down the line, that making your own implementation from scratch would take less effort and lean more easily into adding other missing features. Also who knows how much spaghetti code there is in it.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
will unity games disappear from steam
i know gog allows you to install whatever the fuck is on your account regardless of whether it's still listed in the store (like space rangers reboot which was replaced by HD)

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
i know gog allows you to install whatever the fuck is on your account regardless of whether it's still listed in the store (like space rangers reboot which was replaced by HD)
Steam also lets you freely install/uninstall delisted games too.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Steam also lets you freely install/uninstall delisted games too.
will i be able to make the devs bleed money by reinstalling too

Caim

Arcane
will i be able to make the devs bleed money by reinstalling too
no
Unity as a company is finished if they actually go through with any of this shit.
yes, Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo will sue them into oblivion before they even smell some of the money
It's like that meme with the five black dudes standing behind a white girl on a couch, except it's Unity on the couch with Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, Google, Apple and Valve behind the couch.

dbx

Arcane
Patron
So if I uninstall and reinstall a game over and over again a developer will bankrupt?
depends, the price they're asking isn't that high, bar for some smartphone devs. You'd need to install some thousands times to make a dent into the devs margins, at least for most PC games.

MerchantKing

Learned
Cool it with the antisemitic remarks. The vast majority of corporate executives are just white or asian people who have the go-along-to-get-along mentality. They're not jews.

Since you a quite new around here buy one of these

https://levelupmarket.com/en/shop/other/buy-sense-of-humor.html

It will make your stay in the Codex more enjoyable
Defamation of your betters is not funny. Cool it with the antisemitic remarks.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...rsial-price-hike-after-game-developers-revolt

Unity Overhauls Controversial Price Hike After Game Developers Revolt​

Maker of video-game development tools backtracks after customers threaten boycott

Video-game tool maker Unity Software Inc. said Monday it’s backtracking on major aspects of a controversial new price hike, telling staff in an all-hands meeting that it’s now considering changes including a cap on potential fees.

Unity, which operates and licenses a suite of video-game development tools called the Unity Engine, set off a firestorm last week when it announced plans to charge customers for every new installation of their game after a certain threshold. The decision triggered widespread protests, leading several video-game makers to say they would boycott Unity until the policy is changed.

Under the tentative new plan, Unity will limit fees to 4% of a game’s revenue for customers making over $1 million and said that installations counted toward reaching the threshold won’t be retroactive, according to recording of the meeting reviewed by Bloomberg. Last week, Chief Executive Officer John Riccitiello delayed an all-hands meeting on the pricing changes and closed two offices after the company received what it said was a credible death threat.

The company apologized to customers on Sunday and said it would be making changes to the pricing policy.

Marc Whitten, a Unity executive, said the company hasn’t yet announced the latest changes because executives are still running them by partners and don’t want to repeat last week’s communications debacle, which led to several clarifications.

One of the most controversial elements of the policy concerned how Unity would track installations of its software. Although the company first said it would use proprietary tools, Whitten said Monday management will rely on users to self-report the data.

In the meeting, Riccitiello emphasized that the new policy is designed to generate more revenue from the company's biggest customers and that more than 90% of Unity users won’t be affected. Several employees asked during the meeting how Unity would bounce back from what appeared to be a breach of trust. Executives said the company will have to “show, not tell” and handle future communications more carefully.

“I don’t think there’s any version of this that would have gone down a whole lot differently than what happened,” Riccitiello said. “It is a massively transformational change to our business model.”

But, he acknowledged, “I think we could have done a lot of things a lot better.”

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Cool it with the antisemitic remarks. The vast majority of corporate executives are just white or asian people who have the go-along-to-get-along mentality. They're not jews.

Since you a quite new around here buy one of these

https://levelupmarket.com/en/shop/other/buy-sense-of-humor.html

It will make your stay in the Codex more enjoyable
Defamation of your betters is not funny. Cool it with the antisemitic remarks.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Codex contrarians contrarianing SO HARD that they side with a company radically altering its terms to start charging extra for existing clients and their past work. I am sure many a lib will be triggered xD by you sucking that particular boot, brave soldier.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom