Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unity reveals plans to charge developers per game install - plans modified and CEO fired, lol

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Been a while since we had this kind of tech panic: https://www.eurogamer.net/unity-rev...-drawing-criticism-from-development-community

Unity reveals plans to charge per game install, drawing criticism from development community​

"It's an absolute f*cking catastrophe".

Unity has announced dramatic changes to its Unity Engine business model which will see it introduce a monthly fee per new game install beginning on 1st January next year - a move that has drawn considerable criticism from the development community.

Unity - the engine behind countless acclaimed games including Tunic, Cuphead, Hollow Knight, Citizen Sleeper, RimWorld, Outer Wilds, Fall Guys, Ori and the Blind Forest, and Cities: Skylines - was previously licenced to developers using a royalty free model built around subscription tiers. Anyone whose revenue or funding was less than $100k over the course of the year (and who didn't want access to features such as the ability to remove the Unity splash screen) could stick to the free Unity Personal licence, while a Unity Plus subscription was required up to $200k in revenue, and a Unity Pro or above subscription was needed for more.

As of 1st January, 2024, however, developers will be expected to pay an additional monthly Unity Runtime Fee per new game install - seemingly including re-installs and installs across multiple devices - on top of their existing licence subscription, with those fees kicking in for titles that have made $200k or more in the last 12 months and have at least 200k lifetime game installs. Unity Pro and Unity Enterprise subscribers, meanwhile, will see the fees applied after passing the $1m revenue and 1m lifetime installs threshold.

Once the fees kick in, developers using Unity Personal will be expected to pay $0.2 per new install above the 200k threshold each month, while Unity Pro and Enterprise subscribers will be required to pay $0.15 and $0.125 respectively after crossing the 1m line - a figure that will decrease as higher install thresholds are reached. Unity Plus, meanwhile, is being retired as of today, meaning access to advanced features will now require at least a $2k annual subscription - an increase of over $1,600 compared to Unity Plus.

Unity's new fees will be applied retroactively to all games already on the market that cross its revenue and install thresholds, and to all to all games regardless of price - raising questions around the viability of free game giveaways, game demos, bundles, and more - and there's concern developers may now face charges for pirated game installs. There are also questions around how the changes will complicate the logistics of being on services like Game Pass.

The industry response so far appears to be a mixture of outrage, disbelief, and confusion, with some developers already publicly pledging to switch engines. Eurogamer has reached out to number of studios for their response to today's changes, including Size Five Games' Dan Marshall, creator of the acclaimed Lair of the Clockwork God, The Swindle, and more.

"It's an absolute fucking catastrophe," Marshall told us, "and I'll be jumping ship to Unreal as soon as I can. Most indies simply don't have the resources to deal with these kind of batshit logistics. Publishers are less likely to take on Unity games, because there's now a cost and an overhead," he continued. "How this is being tracked is super vague and feels half-thought-through. It seems open to review-bombing exploits, but in a way that actually costs developers. If someone buys a game on Steam and installs in on three machines, are Devs liable for three payments? If so, that sucks. Gamepass is suddenly a massive headache... the list goes on.

"It's all just utterly horrible, and they need to backtrack on this instantly or every Dev I know is likely jumping ship tomorrow."

"I have a couple of projects on the go in Unity right now," Marshall continued, "and they're far enough along that changing engine isn't an option, and I get a sickly feeling in my stomach just thinking about this. A horrendous policy, presumably dreamed up by the money men. I'm legitimately quite angry. I've been using Unity for over 10 years, that's a lot of investment in a system I'm about to drop like a hot rock."

We'll continue to share developers reactions as we hear more.

puur prutswerk

Magister
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Lol I'm laughing now, but I am well aware that "my own" "assets" are always just one EULA away from being worthless.

Greed greases the gears of grievance which are not gold, but stylized cyberpunk polygonal half meshes now.

They probably never even had default stock characters named Unito & Unita, shame.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Me when Unreal 5 is released: Very cool but it seems very focused on AAA open world games, unless Unity does something incredibly retarded, they will be fine.

Unity does something incredibly retarded.

Me: Oh... guess all that time I procrastinated to properly learn Unity wasn't lost after all.

Terra

Cipher
Only a matter of time before Unity retardo'd itself with John Riccitiello at the helm. Not unexpected, though Seppuku of this level out of the blue is still a bit surprising.

ferratilis

Magister
Reading that title made me remember one former EA CEO who suggested charging players for in-game ammunition. Spoiler alert: that guy is now the CEO of Unity. You can recognize these retards by their MO.

puur prutswerk

Magister
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Oh wow, I'm lolling even harder now, I also had a hint of a memory about that Riccitiello guy. His face and his wiki page make him seem like a supporting character from an A.I. Sopranos tv series generator in my mind for some reason. The guy is probably an honorary cardinal for the Jesuits or something considering the sheer size of the numbers that they let this dude bounce around.

I empathize with Unity developers though, especially those passion deep in the asset store they have.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Me when Unreal 5 is released: Very cool but it seems very focused on AAA open world games, unless Unity does something incredibly retarded, they will be fine.

Unity does something incredibly retarded.

Me: Oh... guess all that time I procrastinated to properly learn Unity wasn't lost after all.
If you pay 2k per year, you're jail free. Because you won't ever get a 1 million/year revenue or hit 1 million installs.
For that matter, you may as well use free version, cause you'll never hit $200k/year revenue either, or 200'000 installs.
But just in case you do, all you have to do is pay them 2k. For a million revenue...

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
come on, that's fake. no one can be this retarded.
lmao.png

Would be hilarious to see if people try to drive say, Mihoyo, out of business by installing a script that constantly installs and uninstalls Genshin Impact.

Last edited:

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Would be hilarious to see if people try to drive, say Mihoyo out of business by installing a script that constantly installs and uninstalls Genshin Impact.
It will probably be easy to reverse engineer the activation code and create a script to send those requests. Then DDOS Unity serves with them and create an accounting apocalypse.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Unity is out of their minds. I had a heart attack reading this and I don't even use Unity. Because it sucks for anything interesting. But like, this is legitimately insane.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Does Prosper even have twenty cents to his name?
1694543864627653.png

I think he is clear because you need to 200k installs and 200k revenue in the past year for the fees to kick in. But I think a studio like Owlcat will be affected by this.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Prosper will never have to worry about this. Also he uses Unity? Lmao.

Mise

Not The Best Games
Developer
Lol. I've never seen someone do something so retarded.
-Small developers targeting Steam won't be as affected, but small mobile developers will be, since 200k revenue it's a 1-2 person company maybe 3-4 in Eastern Europe, and 200k installs it's nothing for these type of games
-Big and Huge developers will ditch Unity or make special deals with them. If they leave the whole ecosystem will suffer greatly. Tools, integrations, etc wouldn't be as viable as they are today.(Companies like Blizzard, EA etc use Unity for numerous games)
-Mobile developers would ditch Unity because most make less than a dollar per user
-Selling games in a bundle? You would actually lose money by doing this so it's becomes no no.
-I have tons of games that I have installed and reinstalled like 10 times and most users I would bet install and reinstall games all the time
-Games will be offered in a limited time period, since as time goes on price decreases and number of installs increases

Also how will they track game installs? With a DRM? Sounds extremely retarded.

Anyways, RIP Unity. I had actually a good time developing, and I've worked as a web and mobile developer too before this. Unity was by far the best experience. But after Unity 5, they always had 1 step forward, 5 backward.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I didn't quite understand all the details, the severity is less than I thought, if you can trust Unity at all after this(I missed the part where the fee decreases after x amount of users and you will basically upgrade to another plan if you make 200k) but a lot of issues rise regarding this, and as the price goes up and quality down I still believe this changes will have big impact

Last edited:

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

Some clarifications.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom