Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unity reveals plans to charge developers per game install - plans modified and CEO fired, lol

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Idk what were they thinking
gist of it that I can gauge is, the royalty model they had wasn't making them enough money after all the acquisitions and poor share performance.
They bought that mobile advert firm which essentially hijacked their business operations entirely, so the focus became destroy the competition in mobile adverts and become a literal dictator in mobile games.
This had the result of decimating their core PC/Console studios though Unity thinks those customers made up fuck all anyway because the majority weren't paying customers hence where the 10% figure came from, only 10% of their customers were actually paying customers and the asset store was the only way they were monetizing the rest which I'd argue probably wasn't making them as much as their adverts and analytics branches.

My assessment is, we all got out bid by a bunch of big whale ad driven mobile developers. So that's their customer now, not us.
Godot will never have that problem because there's no financial incentive to abandon their core idea, they can just branch out, its not an all-or-nothing situation the way it was with Unity. Its the difference between community driven development versus proprietary development. The community can still support Godot even if the studio financially supporting Godot decides to jump ship, that will be disappointing but it won't kill Godot. Unity on the other hand has no reason at all to continue developing HDRP, they have no reason to continue developing DOTS, they have no reason to even continuing development of the engine since for the most part what they've been working on already anyway is closer to middleware and service platforms. The writings on the wall, Unity is a stagnate engine, that's it, everything coming forward is SasS shit. Who the hell wants to support that. They just straight gave up that's the truth cause its too hard and makes too little money to keep us around, they want one and done mobile casual shit so that's all they're going to have now.

The executives know it'll make money that's why they've chosen this because mobile is a total dumpster fire of unethical and shit business. That's who they'd rather work with because they know that's where the real money is.

Just look at the same attitudes Blizzard had about Mobile. There's a reason more and more companies are thinking this way. Even Microsoft mentioned it wanted a heavier push into mobile.
Its a bleak time for the industry, we're having the industry sold out from under us.

Sorry late night rant lol.

TC Jr

Scholar
They will just back down, or announce some less-retarded (but still very retarded) pricing scheme. It's called "the big ask".

Unity games will live on, unfortunately, and studios will continue to make use of this utterly shit technology.
Propose something so retarded, you know no one will get on board.

"Ok, we'll only charge once per install."

Durr sounds good to me. - faggot unity devs

Same with everything, offer the absolute worst, then offer something slightly less gay but still gay.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Sorry late night rant lol.
Nice rant, but not really the case here. Unity's primary moneymaker was ads for years, yet they didn't throw the desktop market away. The meme, "Jews did this" is a reality here.
The acquisition of IronSource included a deal where the top brass of IronSource become the top brass of Unity. And since they are a mobile focused ad company, they decided to butcher everything else.

Random conversation I found. Wonder how common it is, and how many games will be delayed.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/650940/eventcomments/3823048293512655706?snr=1_5_9_&ctp=2

dev said:
8 Sep @ 6:39pm

Engine Upgrade is getting out of Beta
The game engine upgrade to unity 2022 is going to get out of the beta branch into the main branch.

user said:
Hopefully Unity's new change of policy won't hurt this for you.

dev said:
While I don't agree in the slightest with it the game is old enough to not be influenced by it. It does change dome plans I had. And personally it destroys years of experience with the engine... Sadly, I will probably go into unreal for my future projects, which will take time.

Ialda

Learned
I'm fascinated to see all those indie devs crying over their lost "skills". These people seems structurally unable to learn new languages, new techniques once they have acquired a degree.

:Flash:

Arcane
Idk what were they thinking
gist of it that I can gauge is, the royalty model they had wasn't making them enough money after all the acquisitions and poor share performance.
They bought that mobile advert firm which essentially hijacked their business operations entirely, so the focus became destroy the competition in mobile adverts and become a literal dictator in mobile games.
This had the result of decimating their core PC/Console studios though Unity thinks those customers made up fuck all anyway because the majority weren't paying customers hence where the 10% figure came from, only 10% of their customers were actually paying customers and the asset store was the only way they were monetizing the rest which I'd argue probably wasn't making them as much as their adverts and analytics branches.
That 10% thing is probably something they came up with by counting all hobbyists. My company is very small and we are paying customers. Basically anyone who is no a solo dev has to be a paying customer. It's very silly to complain that people who could not afford a professional game engine before are not paying customers of a professional game engine... The fact that they made the entrance hurdle for Unity so low is the reason for their success in the first place, complaining about it now is like complaining that they became the dominating engine.

PlayerEmers

Novice
even tho this will not directly affect most of the Unity's userbase (mostly hobbists or really small devs that will never earn enough money to get hit by the new plans), this is still fucking retarded and I hope this provokes a mass exodus of big devs to other engines or frameworks.
if the leadership of the company is capable of doing such a thing that will affect all games INCLUDING already released ones and be unapologetic, they will do way worse things in the future.
devs should never trust them even if they back down entirely

axoeZeK_700bwp.webp

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I'm fascinated to see all those indie devs crying over their lost "skills". These people seems structurally unable to learn new languages, new techniques once they have acquired a degree.
Working with a game engine isn't just knowing a few lines of code and some animations principles. It's like 10 000 small little skills and familiarities that you have to acquire over years of working with the engine.

That's why employers don't take on college graduates. You're useless until you have at least a decade of work under your belt for many industries, even if you know the basics.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
One thing that got me thinking - wouldn't this be a good time to sell your old engine if you sit on something like that? I have always dreamed of someone picking up the Silent Storm engine.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Trithne

Erudite
That is quite possibly every platitude in the book. "We hear you" "We are listening".

Also, announcement for an announcement.

Ialda

Learned
Working with a game engine isn't just knowing a few lines of code and some animations principles. It's like 10 000 small little skills and familiarities that you have to acquire over years of working with the engine.
I'm a developper, just not a Unity dev (too much self esteem to work in that industry).

You make a good point, but it also applies to every programming language and framework I know of.
If your education was any good, the best and first skill they taught you is being able to learn new things. I have little patience for woke cunts who won't learn to code (with a new language).

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Maybe they will announce that since everyone was so uppity they decided to double the price per install?
We can only hope the drama reaches such glorious levels.

But we're likely going to get the half-apology tour. If it gets good we'll get some groveling, and maybe even some victim play with bonus finger-pointing at the users.

Elttharion

Learned
e689f8f76aa6a19aa62290170dbd7b33c1d26601.png

TLDR: Unity does not recognize Planned Parenthood and C. S. Mott's Children Hospital as "valid' charities.

The childrens hospital provides 'gender affirming care' for children. Unity is anti abortion and anti trannies, maybe they are not so bad after all. Strap yourselves in, looks like the drama is just starting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom