Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unofficial 'Codex Top Ten.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Because they want dwarves to be as obnoxious as possible. The more fake and overdone the accent, the better!

yipsl

Scholar
TheGreatGodPan said:
Why do they always make dwarves scottish? For some reason I think they should be german.

I agree with that, but I think more gamers read R.A. Salvatore's Dark Elf Trilogy than listened to the Ring cycle. The dwarves in Icewind Dale had Scots accents and I parodied that with Thurf Pyrite. As I've said on discussion on the Oblivion boards where people complained about American accents in Morrowind, what's an American accent in a fantasy world? So, all of a sudden British accents make Oblivion cooler? The Cyrodiils could all speak like Russians, Italians or Indians for all that accent matters. Ideally, good voice acting provides an accent that is as otherworldly as you get. I think the guy who did the male dunmer got it right.

I guess Europeans don't like American accents in games and Americans love Scottish and English accents. It's our exposure to Sean Connery, Patrick Stewart, Dr. Who and Monty Python that probably makes American gamers clamor for British Isle accents and it's probably mild prejudice against American in the Bush years that make Europeans dislike American accents. Me, I'd love to have the female Khajiit's sound like they were southerners right out of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof: "You know what I feel like? I feel all the time like a cat on a hot tin roof...Just staying on it I guess, long as she can."

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
You're right about British accents. There are way too fucking many of them! Whenever they do a historical or fantasy piece, everyone has to sound British even though the actor isn't british and neither is the character! I didn't see the movie Troy but I noticed in the commericals they had Brad Pitt trying to sound British. Why? Because of idiots.

Speaking of german again, if I ever get the chance to direct a historical epic about "Olde England" the characters are going to sound a lot more german. No fakey-what-an-american-thinks-english-sounds-like crap. It's going to be all Anglish.

Revasser

Scholar
I personally like British Isles accents in fantasy games, mostly because I'm so damn sick of hearing American accents everywhere else. I turn on the TV or watch a movie and I'm immediately bombared with American accents. Yes, I'm aware that I could just 'stop watching American TV and movies', but there just isn't much of anything else on TV or at the video store.

So usually when I hear American accents in a game that isn't set in America, or with a situation that would logically involve a bunch of Americans, I don't enjoy the voice acting nearly as much, because I'm always thinking "more bloody American accents where they don't bloody belong."

I'd love to hear more voice actors that hail from whatever part of Britain it is that David Warner is from. He has the perfect 'no accent', like English was meant to be spoken with that particular accent. For easy reference, David Warner voiced Irenicus in BG2 - SoA and Father Morpheus in Fallout (he's also a somewhat well known flim actor, but who cares about that, right?)

Doppelganger

Novice
Revasser said:
I'd love to hear more voice actors that hail from whatever part of Britain it is that David Warner is from. He has the perfect 'no accent', like English was meant to be spoken with that particular accent. For easy reference, David Warner voiced Irenicus in BG2 - SoA and Father Morpheus in Fallout (he's also a somewhat well known flim actor, but who cares about that, right?)
David Warner was born in Manchester, but was trained at RADA, where he would have been taught to lose his thick Northern accent - like Patrick Stewart - in favour of something called 'RP' or 'Received Pronunciation'. This is a made-up accent used by, for example, the Royal Shakespeare Company, which Warner - and Stewart, again - joined as a youngish actor.

To my ears RP always sounds utterly and completely false and affected.

Revasser

Scholar
Doppelganger said:
David Warner was born in Manchester, but was trained at RADA, where he would have been taught to lose his thick Northern accent - like Patrick Stewart - in favour of something called 'RP' or 'Received Pronunciation'. This is a made-up accent used by, for example, the Royal Shakespeare Company, which Warner - and Stewart, again - joined as a youngish actor.

To my ears RP always sounds utterly and completely false and affected.

Ahh, thanks for the info. I suppose it's just a matter of taste really, because I really like it.

lancepr

Novice
Here some of my favorites in about the order I played them.
Alternate Reality - Apple ][
Might and Magic Apple][ and PC
Ultima - Savage Empire - PC
Betray at Krondor - PC
Darklands - PC
Ultima 7 - PC
Jagged Alliance
Arcanum
ToEE

I tried to think of soom good console RPG's that I played back in the day, but none really stuck out in my mind.

In no particular order,

Baldur's Gate 1
Baldurs Gate 2
Icewind Dale 1
Temple of Elemental Evil
NWN:Hordes of the Underdark
Bloodlines
Knights of the Old Republic 1
Diablo
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
Pokemon Red

as you can tell i'm a bioware- black isle fan and I'm proud :D
oh and i also believe that there is no such thing as too late.

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
That "Pokemon" mention set off the Codex alarm. You've got 24 hours to edit your post and take that back before a jackboot comes through your computer screen and kicks you in the face.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
My favorite top ten bestest RPGS

1) Final Fantasy
2) Final Fantasy 2
3) Final Fantasy 3
4) Final Fantasy 4
5) Final Fantasy 5
6) Final Fantasy 6
7) Final Fantasy 7 OMG SEFIROT TEH MPST BESTEST CARACTAR EVAR ZOMG
8) Final Fantasy 8
9) Final Fantasy 9
10) Final Fantasy 10

In order:

1. Fallout 1
2. Torment
3. BG2
4. Fallout 2
5. Ultima 7
6. Wasteland
7. Bloodlines
8. Arcanum
9. Curse of the Azure Bonds
10. Darklands

I'm shocked that Wasteland didn't make more lists. Bloody brilliant game, that.

"That "Pokemon" mention set off the Codex alarm. You've got 24 hours to edit your post and take that back before a jackboot comes through your computer screen and kicks you in the face."

LOL no way. I love pokemon Red.

for those who will insist replace it with an old text based game that you like :P

BTW i didn't like fallout that much and i'm not very sure that torment is one of the best ev4r ...

I got a Globe of Invulnerability on, Greater
Stoneskin, Spell Mantle and Dominate Monster ready, Oh! and my PC is insured so ... let jackboot try :D

bryce777

Erudite
Oh yeah? Well I have an army of 200 kobolds. Each one has exactly 1 +1 arrow. You will get 10 experience points for killing each one, but it goes down to zero after the challenge rating, yet their probability of killing you before you can kill al of them is 98%

kris

Arcane
Calis said:
Since it was almost half my life ago when I last played it, I guess I should try it again as well. Nothing quite crushes those childhood memories as the experience of reliving them.

Also, you'll want to head for some dwarven village right away and pick up a fellow called "Khaled" or "Khalid" or whatever, since he kicks ass.

Edit: And I didn't know it was based on Rolemaster, either

Nor did I. Must get it!!!

kris

Arcane
JrK said:
Holy threadnecromancy Batman!

Basically because someone revived the newsthread in this subject. "[Intimidate] Now tell me where to get this game before you die."

Curois

Novice
SorelissLarethian said:
In no particular order,

Baldur's Gate 1
Baldurs Gate 2
Icewind Dale 1
Temple of Elemental Evil
Bloodlines
Diablo
Pokemon Red

I reckon Pokemon isn't the only thing that sets the Codex Alarm(tm) off. Mario & Luigi?!??! Diablo ?!?! etc etc. I'm not as die hard in craving for teh REAL RPG XPerience as most codexers, but I find those entries appaling :evil:

Ivy Mike

Scholar
Curois said:
SorelissLarethian said:
In no particular order,

Baldur's Gate 1
Baldurs Gate 2
Icewind Dale 1
Temple of Elemental Evil
Bloodlines
Diablo
Pokemon Red

I reckon Pokemon isn't the only thing that sets the Codex Alarm(tm) off. Mario & Luigi?!??! Diablo ?!?! etc etc. I'm not as die hard in craving for teh REAL RPG XPerience as most codexers, but I find those entries appaling :evil:

Mon Oct 31, 2005
I'll leave the rest for you to figure out.

sabishii

Arbiter
Pokemon is a fun game... very little grinding time even though grinding is well supported, a huge variety of pokemon to use, a decent variety of attacks to use, and the type advantage thing is pretty unique and nice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom