Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unofficial 'Codex Top Ten.

android

Novice
Oh the geekiness...

1. Planescape: Torment
2. Ultima Underworld 2
3. Ultima 7
4. Ultima Underworld 1
5. Fallout 1
6. Fallout 2
7. Baldur's Gate 2
8. Albion
9. System Shock
10. Arx Fatalis

I'd like to squeeze in those as well, but the list is just too short.

VtM: Bloodlines
Deus Ex
Wizardry 8
Lands of Lore
Ravenloft 1 + 2
Entomorph

Whipporowill said:
Section8 said:
I also can't help but notice that Ultima Underworld 2 seems to rank higher than the original in quite a few lists, anyone care to elaborate on their preference for the sequel?

I do however believe I thought the 2nd was better executed - 2nd time around with the engine and all.

That as well and UW2 was a bit more complicated then just the descend-8-levels-and-kill-the-boss plot

Tintin

Arbiter
1Planetscape: Torment
2Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall
3Fallout
4Arcanum
5Ultima 7
6sry
7sry
8sry
9sry
10sry

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
I haven't beaten enough RPGs to give a top-ten list. That being said, the greatest video game EVER made is Deus Ex and the second best is Fallout.

I have beaten System Shock 2, but the utter lack of NPCs and plot-choices restricts your ability to play a role. If I actually made a top-ten list, I'd probably end up putting it on anyway.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Not in order:

Might & Magic VI
Ultima VII
Fallout
Fallout 2
BG
BG2
Planescape: Torment
Eye of the Beholder
Deus Ex
Gothic II

Tintin

Arbiter
Naked_Lunch said:
If you cannot think of 10 good rpgs, then you seriously need to play more games. Or at least better ones.

I don't play too many games. Especially now.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
1. Super Mario Brothers 3
2. Zelda, the Minish Cap
3. Parraper the rapper
4. Area 51
5. Teenage Mutant Nija Turtles
6. Metroids
7. Mega Man
8. Rush n' Attack
9. Gold Rush
10. I LUV PENIS

deus

Liturgist
1. Albion
2. Dark Heart of Uukrul
3. Escape from Hell
4. Fallout
5. Shadows Over Riva
6. The Superhero League of Hoboken
7. Torment
8. Ultima IV
9. Wizardry 8
10. World of Xeen

I guess World of Xeen is technically two games, but so is Ultima VII.

bryce777

Erudite
Tintin said:
Naked_Lunch said:
If you cannot think of 10 good rpgs, then you seriously need to play more games. Or at least better ones.

It seems pretty bizarre you would waste your time trolling here if you do not even play games much. Hell, I don't play too much either, but over the years it adds up to a lot of games.

Tintin

Arbiter
bryce777 said:
Tintin said:
Naked_Lunch said:

It seems pretty bizarre you would waste your time trolling here if you do not even play games much. Hell, I don't play too much either, but over the years it adds up to a lot of games.

I see. Reading threads and replying - but disagreeing with bryce777 equals trolling.

Whereas your bosom pal truekaiser, who stalks out all Oblivion threads to respond with pointless yammer - nope that ain't trolling, cause he agrees with you :lol:

EEVIAC

Erudite
Ten games, listed in alphabetical order.

Alter Ego
Arcanum
BattleTech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception
Buck Rogers - Countdown To Doomsday
Fallout
Gearhead
Pirates!
The Sims 2
Starflight
Tron 2.0 (close enough)

bryce777

Erudite
Tintin said:
bryce777 said:
Tintin said:
Naked_Lunch said:

I see. Reading threads and replying - but disagreeing with bryce777 equals trolling.

Whereas your bosom pal truekaiser, who stalks out all Oblivion threads to respond with pointless yammer - nope that ain't trolling, cause he agrees with you :lol:

The difference is that he is not responding to you personally but to the news articles...then you have to comment on everything anyone says.

I just find your behavior bizarre and irrational; I don't particularly mind it but it is very puzzling, and when you are not even much of a gamer the only thing I can think of is that you just enjoy trying to bait people, or get a nickel for every oblivion plug.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Bryce, stop whining, and spend some of your millions on an assassin to assinate tin tin.

Tintin

Arbiter
The difference is that he is not responding to you personally but to the news articles...then you have to comment on everything anyone says.

I just find your behavior bizarre and irrational; I don't particularly mind it but it is very puzzling, and when you are not even much of a gamer the only thing I can think of is that you just enjoy trying to bait people, or get a nickel for every oblivion plug.

Yes, I get a nickel for every Oblivion plug...when I only post in threads created by staff members about Oblivion. u r a genius

Just because I don't play a lot of games doesn't mean I'm "not even much of a gamer"

Do you remember that episode where you felt the need to start an attack on me out of nowhere? Yes, perhaps we should explore the definition of "troll".

Section8

Cipher
Considering it was a fricking long time ago since I played either of the UW's - I remember enjoying the first one immensly - I remember the first time I met a lurker and how high I jumped. I do however believe I thought the 2nd was better executed - 2nd time around with the engine and all. But then again, maybe the first was the better game... hm. I can't honestly put my finger on it - maybe I just enjoyed the portal thingie?

Fair enough, I think they're both great games, but the second felt a bit by the numbers to me, in the same way games like Mario, Zeliard, etc have distinct themes like the ice bit, the fire bit, the mushroom bit, or whatever. The first to me was sheer brilliance because of it's limited setting. Since the setting itself was confined, the was no artificial limit imposed on the world boundaries. It also managed to start you off as a blank slate, unlike most of the Ultima's and I always preferred that to assuming tomes of avatar backstory applied to your character from the start.

Alter Ego

The CGA "life sim" Alter Ego, or was there another with the same name?

Kthan75

Liturgist
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Fallout2
Torment
Fallout
BG2
Arcanum
KOTOR2
KOTOR
Bloodlines
System Shock 2
Fable

Before stabbing me for mentioning Fable, I just want to say that, although it was missing a lot, it had a few ideas that I liked. The potential was there but the result was dissapointing

Kthan75

Liturgist
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I see the majority of people have FO1, FO2 and Torment in their top 5, with FO1 usually being first. What I don't understand is why some people have Fallout 1 in their list and not FO2

I don't want to get another flame started with this, but I really don't get it how you could like FO1 so much and not give a shit about the second one, not even including it in a top 10.

Tiliqua

Liturgist
Eve
IWD2
BG2
Throne of Baal
BG1
TOSC
IWD
The Temple of Elemental Evil
Heart of Winter
SWG

Deathy

Liturgist
Kthan75 said:
I see the majority of people have FO1, FO2 and Torment in their top 5, with FO1 usually being first. What I don't understand is why some people have Fallout 1 in their list and not FO2

I don't want to get another flame started with this, but I really don't get it how you could like FO1 so much and not give a shit about the second one, not even including it in a top 10.

It was more of the same. Originality counts for a lot, at least in my eyes, and Fallout 2 had none. A carbon copy of the original, just with more quanity. Sure, it was decent, but Fallout is already on the list, so there's no room for another game that is exactly the same.

As for my list

Fallout - The game just oozed style, and had great technical aspects too.

Geneforge - The ultimate in open endedness, the fact that what I did actually mattered, even more so than Fallout.

Arcanum - Decent roleplaying aspects, Excellent dialogue.

Nethack - Challenging, intelligent gameplay, excellent interactivity

Avernum 3 - Huge living world

Jagged Alliance 2 - Excellent tactical combat

Diablo - Mindlessly entertaining dungeon hacking

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom