Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unofficial 'Codex Top Ten.

Moggs

Liturgist
Volourn said:
Keep spinning; but the facts are facts. Mad Max heavily infleunces FO as does Wasteland. These are facts. With these facts, you cna't call FO or its 'feel' 'unique'.

Do you guys even know what the word unique means?

Apprantly not.

Stupid Stalking Codexers.

R00fles!

I'm fairly confident I have a better grasp of the English language than you do, my angry little friend, and yes, I do know the meaning of the word "unique". It means that something is the only one of its kind. Thus something remains unique until one can provide proof otherwise... Not that I claimed FO was unique (though I think it gets closer than most computer games do) - I was stating that the argument you presented (namely "retro-future" styling in Mad Max and Wasteland) did not provide an equal to FO, and therefore prove otherwise. Fool.[/i]

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"TW, welcome back to normalcy (?). Are you still doing the whole NWN mod thang? Or has that crashed and burned in your recent fall into insanity?"

As long as one on the net they are never sane. Period.

As for the mod, I'm still working on it.

"Right.. up yours, Herr Volourn."

R00fles!

"I'm fairly confident I have a better grasp of the English language than you do, my angry little friend, and yes, I do know the meaning of the word "unique". It means that something is the only one of its kind. Thus something remains unique until one can provide proof otherwise... Not that I claimed FO was unique (though I think it gets closer than most computer games do) - I was stating that the argument you presented (namely "retro-future" styling in Mad Max and Wasteland) did not provide an equal to FO, and therefore prove otherwise. Fool.[/i]

Did you need to use all those words to agree with me that FO or its setting isn't unique? Cool. If soemthing is 'amost unqiue' then it isn't unique. Period.

Dumbasses.

Moggs

Liturgist
Volourn said:
Did you need to use all those words to agree with me that FO or its setting isn't unique? Cool. If soemthing is 'amost unqiue' then it isn't unique. Period.

Dumbasses.

OK, I'l keep it simple for you: You are a cretin.

Jinxed

Liturgist
Haha, there's always new people coming in here actually trying to explain/argue/reason with Volourn.

I'll jump on the bandwagon and try.

Vol, what they're trying to say is that the 50's feel was unique. Not Fallout as a whole.

Excalibur

Liturgist
Plascape
Fallout2
Fallout1
Baldursgate 1
Baldursgate 2
Icewindale 1
Icewindale 2
Septerra core
Morrowind
Divinity

Moggs

Liturgist
Jinxed said:
Haha, there's always new people coming in here actually trying to explain/argue/reason with Volourn.

Vol, what they're trying to say is that the 50's feel was unique. Not Fallout as a whole.

Hey Jinxed, I'm not actually that new here, and I know reasoning with Vol is pretty much useless.

You can't give up though. It's for his own good. I think of it as being similar to trying to train a naughty puppy can keeps shitting on the nice shagpile carpet - if you rub his nose in his own excrement enough times, perhaps (just perhaps) he'll learn to shit elsewhere.

P.S. If a single aspect of Fallout was unique, surely by definition that makes Fallout unique? Although that was never my argument from the get-go.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Volourn said:
"FO1 had that very cool and unique "future as seen from the 50's" thing going."

Not unique, moron. Afterall, it's oftenw here we hear 'FO is a spiritual succeror' or 'unofficial sequel' to a the overrated wastland, right?

Let's not forget Mad Max which HEAVILY influences FO.

*yawn*

Leave it tot he Codex Stalkers to be so obviously stupid.
The post-apocalyptic thing isn't unique, obviously. The 50's twist is. Moron.

MINIGUNWIELDER

Scholar
Moggs said:
Jinxed said:

Hey Jinxed, I'm not actually that new here, and I know reasoning with Vol is pretty much useless.

You can't give up though. It's for his own good. I think of it as being similar to trying to train a naughty puppy can keeps shitting on the nice shagpile carpet - if you rub his nose in his own excrement enough times, perhaps (just perhaps) he'll learn to shit elsewhere.

P.S. If a single aspect of Fallout was unique, surely by definition that makes Fallout unique? Although that was never my argument from the get-go.

ARE YOU THAT STUPID! YOU SQUIRT ON THE PUPPY WITH A WATER GUN NOT MAKE THERE TERRITORIAL INSTINCTS SURFACE
you are supposed to put his turd on a news paper outside or in the laundry room

fighting with vol without being more witty than him is like rubbing the puppys nose in the crap it only encorages the crapping that ensues when vol opens his mouth

Moggs

Liturgist
MINIGUNWIELDER said:
ARE YOU THAT STUPID! YOU SQUIRT ON THE PUPPY WITH A WATER GUN NOT MAKE THERE TERRITORIAL INSTINCTS SURFACE
you are supposed to put his turd on a news paper outside or in the laundry room

fighting with vol without being more witty than him is like rubbing the puppys nose in the crap it only encorages the crapping that ensues when vol opens his mouth

Um, I think you might have missed the point slightly? Rubbing a dog's nose in his own crap was an accepted and widespread means of training an animal.... particularly in the 1950s. I believe that's where the phrase "to rub one's nose in it" comes from.

Why are people so willing to agrue about issues they know relatively little? Oh, yes, this is the 'Codex.

Psilon

Erudite
Chiming in a bit late because I've spent most of the past week without Internet access:

1. Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall
2. Fallout
3. Wizardry 8
4. Quest for Glory I
5. Arcanum
6. Baldur's Gate II
7. Deus Ex
8. Geneforge
9. Diablo II
10. Escape Velocity: Nova
--
11-15. Avernum 3, System Shock 2, Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate, Castle of the Winds

Jinxed

Liturgist
Excalibur said:
Septerra core

I can't believe that I found someone here that has actually played that. I got it from my brother years ago for a birthday present. It's just a japanese style walk to here, combat, combat, combat, pull lever, combat game with special powers and weapons. I can't say that I didn't enjoy it at all, but compared to actual RPG games, it was terrible.

Tintin

Arbiter
As for not being much of a gamer...well, this HAS to be trolling ffs. Like claiming to be a writer who never writes anything! Jesus christ. What a pisser. You are just some bored guy who enjoys trying to get a rise out of people, ie a troll. You don't even give a shit about gaming, just pissing people off and generally acting retarded to get attention from strangers.

Heh, only you would say a person who does not play a lot of games "doesn't give a shit about gaming". Quality vs. Quantity. I only play games which have a general good reputation, or artistic merit (such as Syberia). Sorry, but some of us don't have enough free time to go test out the seven new games that came out today.

A troll is someone who wants to stir things up. that is you, and it is pretty pathetic...

I guess replying to undeserved criticism about certain games is wanting to stir things up, while posting pointless negative remarks which don't criticize but find an excuse to portray everything being negative isn't trying to stir things up. Oh well, it's your own little world. Sure.

Mandake

Novice
1. Planescape Torment
2. Fallout
3. Champions Of Krynn
4. Wizardry 7
5. Gothic 2
6. Pool Of Radiance (SSI)
7. Buck Rogers: Countdown To Doomsday
8. Fallout 2
9. Baldur's Gate
10. Final Fantasy VII

RuySan

Augur
Jinxed said:
Excalibur said:
Septerra core

I can't believe that I found someone here that has actually played that. I got it from my brother years ago for a birthday present. It's just a japanese style walk to here, combat, combat, combat, pull lever, combat game with special powers and weapons. I can't say that I didn't enjoy it at all, but compared to actual RPG games, it was terrible.

and in japanese RPG standards it was terrible as well. I got it for free on a magazine, and i still don't know how i played almost 10 hours of that pile of drivel

Moggs

Liturgist
Jed said:
Keep 'em coming. I'll compile the results sometime around 9am PST on Friday.

I think you mean at 9 am the result is PS:T?

Greatatlantic

Erudite
PST is Pacific Standard Time, for the foreigners who aren't familiar with the abbreviation. Its the time zone California and the rest of the Western United States is in.

Balor

Arcane
Planescape, Fallouts... that's pretty much it.
No other RPG I've played can even remotely match ability to really play a role then those two games.
Too bad.

Moggs

Liturgist
Greatatlantic said:
PST is Pacific Standard Time, for the foreigners who aren't familiar with the abbreviation. Its the time zone California and the rest of the Western United States is in.

Yeah, I know, I was being facetious. I'm actually on EST myself. Bloody foreigners, huh?

Balor

Arcane
I did. And I found it inferiour to Fallout and P:T.
Well, it's nice... but not in my hall of fame, that's for sure.
*scratches head*
Perhaps I should try, dig up some mods and give it a rerun?
completing with a mage was too easy, and I never scraped enough masochism to play as a technician.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom