Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unofficial 'Codex Top Ten.

RuySan

Augur
Kraszu said:
Balor have you played Arcanum?

maybe he played and has enough sense to know that's average

Balor

Arcane
*grins*
Well, kinda.
It WAS a real RPG, but when you compare it Planescape or Fallouts... :roll:

Kraszu

Prophet
I was plaing a technican (gun user) and the game wasn't hard i died like 3 times at begining later i was to strong.

RuySan

Augur
i liked wizards and warriors, but there were too many bugs, and i couldn't play further because i made one quest before another and it messed up everything. If there's any more patches i might try it again

Sol Invictus

Erudite
1. Diablo
2. Diablo II
3. Fallout
4. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
5. Baldur's Gate
6. Deus Ex
7. Planescape: Torment
8. The Sims 2
9. Ultima 7
10. Jagged Alliance 2

Balor

Arcane
Well, if there was any other game with same level of story and roleplaying, it would win instead.
P:T combat system, for instance, was shit due to it being AD&D, lack of items and stuff... it was linear as hell... yet, level of detail in abovementioned story, and quests where you could play a role so deep that it's almost as good as on P&P - does make it something special, and head above all other RPGs.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
PST is well below the level of the true Iconic RPGs FO series, BG series, Ultima series, and NWN.

PST was an above average game, and that's it. It had good characters (though fully 3 of its joinable ones were absolutely shit), horrible combat, and a not so original (yet good)story.

Oh, look at me, I have amnesia! LOLOLOLOLLIPOP

Balor

Arcane
Volourn the Dumbfuck said:
Oh, look at me, I have amnesia! LOLOLOLOLLIPOP
Nae, you have brain tumor which is a bit larger then your whole brain.
What we see here is a byproduct of your spinal cord functioning.

Calis

Pensionado
Alright, my list:

Planescape: Torment
Arcanum
Fallout
Quest for Glory
The Aethra Chronicles (some shareware dealio that I played a bunch as a kid)
Ultima Underworld
System Shock 2
Deus Ex
EV Nova
KOTOR

Calis

Pensionado
Since it was almost half my life ago when I last played it, I guess I should try it again as well. Nothing quite crushes those childhood memories as the experience of reliving them.

Also, you'll want to head for some dwarven village right away and pick up a fellow called "Khaled" or "Khalid" or whatever, since he kicks ass.

Edit: And I didn't know it was based on Rolemaster, either

Calis

Pensionado
Volourn said:
PST is well below the level of the true Iconic RPGs FO series, BG series, Ultima series, and NWN.
It didn't screw with my suspension of disbelief the way the BG series did, though. And NWN just bored me (never got too far, admittedly. Also, I'm biased).

Jinxed

Liturgist
Balor said:
*grins*
Well, kinda.
It WAS a real RPG, but when you compare it Planescape or Fallouts... :roll:

The only thing that was bad in Arcanum was the combat system. Even the damn mines weren't that bad when you look at the game as a whole.

There were just so many ways to go about the main plot. When I look at BG or other games were you are forced to go a way and no other, I really miss arcanum and replay it.

For comparison, Arcanum is the opposite of Vampire Bloodlines when it comes to main plot progression.

Moribunny

Novice
First of all, though SMS' (original) Phantasy Star was never ported to PC so I guess it doesn't count - there's absolutely no way I'm letting it go unmentioned, because were it eligible it would definitely land one of the top 3 spots. It's the sole reason I bought the Sega way back then.

1. Ultima VII
2. Fallout I
3. Baldur's Gate II
4. Quest for Glory I
5. Pirates! (the original Microprose release)
6. Final Fantasy VII
7. Knights of the Old Republic I
8. Baldur's Gate I
9. Fallout II
10. Ultima IV

Honorable mention:
Arcanum, Quest for Glory 2-4 (esp.3), Might & Magic 3-4, EA's Bard's Tale 3, Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, Faery Tale Adventure, Icewind Dale 1, KotOR 2: Sith Lords, The Eye of the Beholder series.

* different than anything people might consider cRPG, but actually I'd say it's much truer to the spirit of role playing than most of the so-called "rpgs" of the day (Fable, blechh)

Section8

Cipher
Aethra Chronicles

There's a forgotten classic. I seem to remember it being a great little hack and slasher, although I was endlessly frustrated by the "% chance to learn a new spell" shit. I'm downloading it again to relive the experience through my jade-coloured spectacles.

RuySan

Augur
Calis said:
Volourn said:
It didn't screw with my suspension of disbelief the way the BG series did, though. And NWN just bored me (never got too far, admittedly. Also, I'm biased).

I only completed the 1st chapter of NWN. It's crap

z3r'0'

Liturgist
RPGs I thought excellent. In no particular order.

-: Wasteland
-: Fallout
-: Fallout 2
-: Icewind Dale incl. HoW & TotLM
-: Planescape Torment
-: Kotor
-: BG2: Shadows of Amn
-: Vampire Bloodlines

In my defense, I have yet to play Arcanum.

System Shock 2; Deus Ex and Thief : The Metal Age are very good, but I don't think of them as RPGs per se.

Honorable Mention:

-: Jagged Alliance 2
-: IWD 2
-: ToEE
-: Diablo

Shagnak

Shagadelic
z3r'0' said:
-: Icewind Dale incl. HoW & TotLM
I actually thoughtthat HOW was pretty bad.
I liked Trials way more. Can't remember why.

One thing I've noticed - are party-based games goin the way of the dodo? Single character (with support d00ds that u cant directly control) seem to be the way now.

Psilon

Erudite
Shagnak said:
One thing I've noticed - are party-based games goin the way of the dodo? Single character (with support d00ds that u cant directly control) seem to be the way now.
While I've got no problem with the Fallout/Arcanum/(shudder) NWN style of NPCs, I think this switch is motivated more by all the console ports. Switching from person to person is a pain in the ass on a gamepad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom