Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unofficial 'Codex Top Ten.

RuySan

Augur
I also see Geneforge mentioned a lot. I didn't liked the first Avernum much, and I didn't liked Geneforge combat from the demo. Should i try the others in the series?

Deathy

Liturgist
Combat in the Geneforge games is basically the same. Frequent, unbalanced, and not very good.

As with the shitawful graphics, it's something the average punter needs to be able to look past in order to get to the real gold

Tintin

Arbiter
Twinfalls said:
Tintin you are a troll.

Thanks for your marvellous reasoning. Yes, your fantastic argumentative abilities have made me seen the light. You should go into politics.

Uh-oh, Twinfalls is making personal attacks out of nowhere in a thread. What a troll.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Kthan75 said:
I see the majority of people have FO1, FO2 and Torment in their top 5, with FO1 usually being first. What I don't understand is why some people have Fallout 1 in their list and not FO2

I don't want to get another flame started with this, but I really don't get it how you could like FO1 so much and not give a shit about the second one, not even including it in a top 10.
What about the third one? I mean, if I liked the first one, shouldn't I, like, automatically like all the other FO games?

Anyways, to answer your question, FO1 is a masterpiece, everything was done right: the atmosphere, the setting, the towns, character system, game flow, story, etc. FO2 was a decent game at best because all those things I mentioned above were fucked one way or another.

Frau Bishop

Erudite
1. The Bard´s Tale, Tales Of The Unknown
2. Wasteland
3. Pool Of Radiance (SSI)
4. Champions Of Krynn
5. Buck Rogers: Countdown To Doomsday
6. Jagged Alliance
7. Fallout
8. Planescape Torment
9. Final Fantasy VII
10. Gothic 2

Section8

Cipher
I don't want to get another flame started with this, but I really don't get it how you could like FO1 so much and not give a shit about the second one, not even including it in a top 10.

Given that all of these lists are subjective, we're seeing sentimental favourites, games that barely fit the RPG bill, and whatever else, just on personal bias. But that's the nature of the beast.

For me personally, Fallout 2 didn't have the impact of the first, because it emphasised quality over quantity, and didn't have the wow factor of playing a game unlike anything you've ever played. Also, I've probably become more jaded toward it over the years through endless discussion and debate. Under close scrutiny, there are a lot of undesirable facets to it, some of which could even be claimed as a taint on the good name of Fallout. :P

Kuato

Liturgist
Planescape
Fallout
Ultima IV
Final Fantasy VII
Persona 2
Gold Box Edition D&D
Fallout 2
Arcanum
Deus Ex
King's Field

BbaxterD

Novice
I'm pleasently surprised to see System Shock 2 make a lot of these lists. It is probably my favorite game of all time. Not my favorite RPG, but my favorite game. It combined my three favorite genres, FPS, RPG, and Survival Horror.

1.Fallout 2
2.System Shock 2
3.Earthbound
4.Morrowind
5.Deus Ex
6.KOTOR II
7.Super Mario RPG
8.Tales of Symphonia
9.Chrono Cross
10.NWN (the mods more than the game)

I have only recently begun to play older games, I have yet to get either Fallout or Planescape Torment. I got Fallout 2, System Shock 2, and Deus Ex for real cheap at this CD trader place. It's kind of a good thing that my computer can't play the new games, because now I get to go back and play some of the great oldies. Can't wait for that upgrade though.

Earthbound and Super Mario RPG were my first RPGs, so they will always make my top 10. The storyline of Chrono Cross is what put it on the list, the gameplay and choices were meh. I really liked the combat in Tales of Symphonia. Neverwinter Nights had some nice mods and the online play was very open ended and enjoyable.

Edit - Can't spell

Kthan75

Liturgist
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Vault Dweller said:
Kthan75 said:
I see the majority of people have FO1, FO2 and Torment in their top 5, with FO1 usually being first. What I don't understand is why some people have Fallout 1 in their list and not FO2

What about the third one? I mean, if I liked the first one, shouldn't I, like, automatically like all the other FO games?

Well put... But I was referring to the fact that the two games are similar in many ways, I was not talking about the real-time, first person rpg bethesda is doing...

Anyways, to answer your question, FO1 is a masterpiece, everything was done right: the atmosphere, the setting, the towns, character system, game flow, story, etc. FO2 was a decent game at best because all those things I mentioned above were fucked one way or another.

I know how some people feel about the setting and the towns in FO2 and I respect their opinions, I won't get into that. But how was the character system fucked? I can see why some people might not like several elements of the story but things had to evolve somehow. The action takes place 80 years in the future. It would be weird if the universe remained the same. Just my opinion...

Kthan75

Liturgist
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Section8 said:

Given that all of these lists are subjective, we're seeing sentimental favourites, games that barely fit the RPG bill, and whatever else, just on personal bias. But that's the nature of the beast.

For me personally, Fallout 2 didn't have the impact of the first, because it emphasised quality over quantity, and didn't have the wow factor of playing a game unlike anything you've ever played. Also, I've probably become more jaded toward it over the years through endless discussion and debate. Under close scrutiny, there are a lot of undesirable facets to it, some of which could even be claimed as a taint on the good name of Fallout. :P

I will admit that I am probably biased since I played the second one first. I guess it's that first impression of the game that really hits you. For me, FO1 was great, it was more of the same cool game I had played, but it had some annoying issues that the second one had adressed. However, I always acknowledged it to be a great game. I wonder, if FO2 had exactly the same setting and the towns were all more or less like the ones in FO1, wouldn't everybody say that it sucks because it's boring and doesn't bring anything new?

Whipporowill

Erudite
Kthan75 said:
I will admit that I am probably biased since I played the second one first. I guess it's that first impression of the game that really hits you. For me, FO1 was great, it was more of the same cool game I had played, but it had some annoying issues that the second one had adressed. However, I always acknowledged it to be a great game. I wonder, if FO2 had exactly the same setting and the towns were all more or less like the ones in FO1, wouldn't everybody say that it sucks because it's boring and doesn't bring anything new?

It's not that the towns are different - it's that they don't fit the setting. A martial arts town (worst of all!) and New Reno felt a bit out of place. Some people hated the fact of a working car, which I didn't - and so on. Fallout 2 is more of a garbled "mess", less elegant and unique - but as you say they fixed some of the issues from the original - with followers and inventory.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Kthan75 said:
I know how some people feel about the setting and the towns in FO2 and I respect their opinions, I won't get into that. But how was the character system fucked? I can see why some people might not like several elements of the story but things had to evolve somehow. The action takes place 80 years in the future. It would be weird if the universe remained the same. Just my opinion...
FO1 had that very cool and unique "future as seen from the 50's" thing going. FO2 lost that, and with that guideline that defined everything, from locations to items, the style and integrity of the setting were completely fucked up. I have no problems with the world changing after so many years, but I dislike the change in style and design. The game felt like Sliders: a bunch of mini-universes with their own themes and logic that the main character(s) had to visit vs one consistent universe that was presented in FO1.

bryce777

Erudite
Tintin said:
The difference is that he is not responding to you personally but to the news articles...then you have to comment on everything anyone says.

I just find your behavior bizarre and irrational; I don't particularly mind it but it is very puzzling, and when you are not even much of a gamer the only thing I can think of is that you just enjoy trying to bait people, or get a nickel for every oblivion plug.

Yes, I get a nickel for every Oblivion plug...when I only post in threads created by staff members about Oblivion. u r a genius

Just because I don't play a lot of games doesn't mean I'm "not even much of a gamer"

Do you remember that episode where you felt the need to start an attack on me out of nowhere? Yes, perhaps we should explore the definition of "troll".

I was not attacking you at all. I don't mean to imply everything you say is an attack either. There is a big difference between being hostile and being a troll, which some people seem unable to grasp.

Someone who is hostile thinks "My god, that guy is an idiot.". He might ignore him or he might give in and let him have it once in a while. When I read your posts sometimes I think "is he really serious? What in the fuck is wrong with this guy?" but I usually just ignore them because (like any good troll) you will respond to people endlessly and I just don't really care.

A troll is someone who wants to stir things up. that is you, and it is pretty pathetic...there are some trolls that can be funny and are obviously a joke, but you do not qualify.

As for not being much of a gamer...well, this HAS to be trolling ffs. Like claiming to be a writer who never writes anything! Jesus christ. What a pisser. You are just some bored guy who enjoys trying to get a rise out of people, ie a troll. You don't even give a shit about gaming, just pissing people off and generally acting retarded to get attention from strangers.

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
Kthan75 said:
The action takes place 80 years in the future. It would be weird if the universe remained the same. Just my opinion...
How different was the Prussia of 920 A.D versus the Prussia of 1000 A.D? Change seems to occur much faster to us because we are aproaching singularity. A devastated society (whether post-apocalyptic or dark age) will not change so quickly.

I haven't played Fallout 2, but they could make it just about exactly the same, and I would put it in my top ten games list. And that would even be if my computer couldn't play any of the sound or video, like with the first one.

Kraszu

Prophet
Post apoliptic would chenge fast, they have technology if they got source for energy they should rebuild fast

bryce777

Erudite
They would undoubtedly change quite a lot as they adjusted to new circumstances and lessening fallout and the depletion of many old artifcats that may remain. Or they might slowly get worse. You see, they are telling a story and different things happen in different worlds.

The people who complain it is 'not true' to the originals should complaint hat there are supermutants or ghouls at all because it makes little sense given the fallout ending. Instead the complain about tribals, which makes zero sense whatsoever...they seem to think they are experts on the gameworld, but gues what it is not the same game and it is not going to be exactly the same. period.

Barbader

Novice
Wizadry 8

ROA: Star Trail

ROA: Shadows over Riva

Ultima Underworld

Lands of Lore

Eye of the Beholder II

Dark Sun: Wake of the ravager

Might & Magic VI

TES: Morrowind

Avernum 3

(Tactical games like JA2 not included...)

ah!, and yes i haven´t played Fallout... i haven´t computer i guess...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"FO1 had that very cool and unique "future as seen from the 50's" thing going."

Not unique, moron. Afterall, it's oftenw here we hear 'FO is a spiritual succeror' or 'unofficial sequel' to a the overrated wastland, right?

Let's not forget Mad Max which HEAVILY influences FO.

*yawn*

Leave it tot he Codex Stalkers to be so obviously stupid.

Moggs

Liturgist
Volourn said:
"FO1 had that very cool and unique "future as seen from the 50's" thing going."

Not unique, moron. Afterall, it's oftenw here we hear 'FO is a spiritual succeror' or 'unofficial sequel' to a the overrated wastland, right?

*yawn*

Leave it tot he Codex Stalkers to be so obviously stupid.

Whilst Mad Max was undoubtedly an influence, and Wasteland very probably the starting point, neither of those sources had the "future as seen from the 50s" thing. I normally wouldn't bother picking someone up on that, but when you're claiming someone is "obviously stupid" on that basis, you really need to get your facts straight. Fool.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Because, you know, there's a bunch of cars and stuff in Fallout. :roll:

I'm not saying Mad Max didn't influence part of Fallout's setting, it's just that it's not a huge benefactor to it. Fallout is indeed pretty unique, as somebody else said, I don't know another game that uses that kind of retro-style (Fallout 2 doesn't count).

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Keep spinning; but the facts are facts. Mad Max heavily infleunces FO as does Wasteland. These are facts. With these facts, you cna't call FO or its 'feel' 'unique'.

Do you guys even know what the word unique means?

Apprantly not.

Stupid Stalking Codexers.

R00fles!

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Volourn said:
Keep spinning; but the facts are facts. Mad Max heavily infleunces FO as does Wasteland. These are facts. With these facts, you cna't call FO or its 'feel' 'unique'.
You are deriberately quoting out of context.*
The context was provided by "unique "future as seen from the 50's" thing". And that italicised element was unique in a game at the time.

BTW, welcome back to normalcy (?). Are you still doing the whole NWN mod thang? Or has that crashed and burned in your recent fall into insanity?

*As pointed out already by the two above. Sometimes your grasp of logic and fact is weird.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom