Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Unrest: An Unconventional RPG set in Ancient India

Starwars

Arcane
I replayed this little thing a few weeks ago. It's kinda cool though definitely not anything mindblowing.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Everytime this is on sale I go maybe, naaah

I do wish somebody would make a real cRPG based on Indian mythology

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
After releasing roguelike shmup Good Robot, Pyrodactyl's Arvind decided to take a "sabbatical" from making games: http://pyrodactyl.com/2017/05/12/status-update/

Status Update

Hi everyone, Arvind here.

Ten years ago, I opened up Google and started looking for tutorials on programming video games. While some folks on the Steam forums might argue otherwise, I think it’s fair to say that I have learned a lot in these ten years. I have worked with some incredibly talented people, traveled across the world, met some of my heroes and most importantly – had thousands of people tell me they liked my games.

Left: My hostel room, picture taken on a Nokia brick.
Right: My home office, picture taken on a slightly better brick.
Both: Bad fashion sense.

In the roughly seven-and-half years since I started Pyrodactyl, I released five games. Many people in creative professions talk about post-project depression, or a feeling of emptiness when you finish a big project. For each of my games, I had that feeling, but I would usually recover after a month or two.

However, the feeling after Good Robot was different. To explain why, let’s break down what I like and don’t like about running my own game studio:

Things I like
  • Creative freedom and being my own boss
  • Designing and coding cool features in my own engine
  • Seeing how the game’s design evolves during playtesting
  • Watching other people play the thing you made
Things I don’t like
  • “We literally can’t afford to work any more on this” style deadlines
  • Low budgets, so you can’t pay your teammates what they deserve
  • Press and promotional outreach, which keeps getting harder
  • The constant stress that slowly eats you from the inside, leaving an empty husk while you smile outwardly and assure everyone that you’re doing great
I was burned out. While I had a good idea about what my next game would be, I lacked any motivation to make it. I can think of a few reasons why it was worse this time:
  • I live in a city which doesn’t have any local game developer community or support structure.
  • It’s very hard to feel the love on the internet. We generally remember the negative comments more than the positives, especially online.
  • Because I worked remotely, I had very little human interaction with my teammates, which further compounded the problem.
This is why I have decided to take a sabbatical from making games. Consider it hibernation as I recharge and get my mojo back.

If you’ve ever played any of my games and liked them, please consider tweeting (or emailing, facebooking etc) a small message of support. It’s the love that keeps us going.

:salute:

pyroary

Ubisoft Abu Dhabi
Developer
In addition to what I wrote above, thanks to the codex for your feedback during release time. It helped me learn more about the game making process, even though I might not agree with everything said here.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

http://pyrodactyl.com/2018/07/04/something-new-is-brewing-at-pyrodactyl/

Something new is brewing at Pyrodactyl…

A-Mysterious-Stone.png

A Mysterious Stone?

From May:

daveyd

Savant
Tactical sounds good. Alchemical sounds intriguing. I just hope it's not a virtual collectible card game or something.

I was disappointed with Unrest; particularly regarding the lack of stats, i.e., RPG elements. but I think Arvind and the other Pyrodactyl guys seem like cool dudes. I think they tried and ran a good Kickstarter campaign. The post mortem (which I think "Rutskarn" wrote) was very informative too. ~$30,000 bucks is really not enough for an RPG budget. So I don't regret the $10 I pledged to the Kickstarter or even starting this thread. I do hope they're able to make a proper RPG someday.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Oh: http://pyrodactyl.com/2019/01/31/pyrodactyl-paused/

Pyrodactyl, Paused

January 31, 2019 · Arvind

This is a bittersweet post to write. For the past decade, Pyrodactyl has been not just what I do, but who I am. Things were roughly the same throughout, but that changed about six months ago. In short:

• The college I was teaching at shut down very suddenly (
    1f622.svg
    )
  • A couple of other opportunities didn’t quite work out (
    1f612.svg
    )
  • I got engaged (
    1f60a.svg
    )
In the backdrop of all this, I was working on The Red Stone as much as I could. Unfortunately, a couple months ago, I entered a stage where I was working but not really making any progress on The Red Stone. I tried pushing through the rut, but that only made things worse. Having read approximately fifteen thousand indie game postmortems, I realized what was happening. After a lot of pondering, brainstorming and thinking twice, I decided to step away from Pyrodactyl for the near future.

While this is not goodbye forever, this is a goodbye for now. I hope the games we made had a positive impact on you, even if it was just making you smile for half a second. Perhaps we’ll meet again!

As for the future, I have a great opportunity to join the team at Ubisoft Abu Dhabi. I’m really excited to be working on I’M NOT SURE IF I CAN REVEAL THIS INFO SO I WON’T SAY IT and I can’t wait to get started!

Before I sign off, it must be said: Pyrodactyl and I won’t be where we are today without the help of a lot of kind and amazing people. My family, friends and colleagues have given me way more love, support and patience than I deserve. I can’t thank you all enough.

P.S. Special shout out to my students for being the best performing better than expected! (jk I love you all)

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Best of luck to him. Unrest wasn't the greatest game, but it had some interesting ideas and I did love the unique setting. I hope Arvind picks up a few new coding tricks with Ubisoft and comes back with another game with a setting in ancient India or the Middle East a few years down the road.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

The developer open-sourced their games. http://pyrodactyl.com/2020/08/04/11-years-of-pyrodactyl/

11 Years of Pyrodactyl

It’s been 11 years since I first thought about making my own indie games. That thought let to Pyrodactyl Games and 9 years of working with very talented people.

To celebrate, I’ve made the source code for our games public on Github. These games were made in C++ using SDL and OpenGL in a custom engine that evolved throughout the years. Here’s the individual links:

Unrest

Good Robot

Will Fight for Food: SAS: GOTH

I’m eternally grateful for everyone who worked on these games (check the About page for full credits), this wouldn’t be possible without them.

While Pyrodactyl lies dormant, our games and hopefully the memories they gave you live on! We might even meet again someday

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom