Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

V Rising - open world survival game where you play as a vampire and build a castle

Zlaja

Arcane
So... Valheim with vampires

Funnily enough, this game is made by a studio (Stunlock Studios) which is based in the same small swedish town as the makers of Valheim (the town of Skövde).

The shitty part is that this studio is majority owned by Tencent.

kangaxx

Arbiter

Funnily enough, this game is made by a studio (Stunlock Studios) which is based in the same small swedish town as the makers of Valheim (the town of Skövde).

Didn't realise this was made by the Battlerite people. I played that game for a bit... they had a reputation in that community for making fun games that quickly get an enthusiastic following, but then losing focus and either dumping the games or moving on to something else.

Brickfrog

Learned

Didn't realise this was made by the Battlerite people. I played that game for a bit... they had a reputation in that community for making fun games that quickly get an enthusiastic following, but then losing focus and either dumping the games or moving on to something else.
Theyve only made 3 games in 12 years though? I guess that's kind of a lot for (what used to be) an "esports" focused company though.

J1M

Arcane
I seem to have hit a bit of a road block where now the blood hunts available are 3+ gear levels above my equipment.

Is there another path forward? Seems like these are the options:
a) git gud: progress through the bosses taking minimal hits
b) grind paper: until an armor upgrade is discovered
c) prebuff: find some 80% blood and consumable buffs

I assume playing solo has exaggerated this rough spot.

Last edited:

randir14

Augur
I seem to have hit a bit of a road block where now the blood hunts available are 3+ gear levels above my equipment.

I beat all the bosses solo and schematic grinding for better gear was the only option. Also melee is basically worthless against bosses, try to stay away from them while using things like blood bolt and chaos bolts.

J1M

Arcane

I beat all the bosses solo and schematic grinding for better gear was the only option. Also melee is basically worthless against bosses, try to stay away from them while using things like blood bolt and chaos bolts.
Initially it seemed like I was getting a gear upgrade from each boss, but then I had a string of the same book at least 3 times.

It's pretty annoying that if I equip the crossbow for additional chip damage on a boss it lowers spell power. (Due to my mace having a higher item level.)

kangaxx

Arbiter

Theyve only made 3 games in 12 years though? I guess that's kind of a lot for (what used to be) an "esports" focused company though.

The community were very salty about what they did with Valheim and Battlerite. In particular the battle royale Battlerite got a lot of abuse, but I agree, on paper it isn't a huge array of games.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Why do vampires have elf ears in this game?
Probably a reference to Clyde Caldwell's classic artwork for adventure module I6 Ravenloft:

hqdefault.jpg

tumblr_nvwowyBgyH1ro2bqto1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nwoir0KhB91ro2bqto1_1280.jpg

And I10 Ravenloft II: The House on Gryphon Hill:
tumblr_nvut4lh36H1ro2bqto1_1280.jpg

Pointed ears on vampires has older precedents:
tumblr_o2rpzsUQJ61u9yiolo1_500.gifv

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
So what exactly is the deal with this game? Seemed like to pop out of nowhere and it's getting a lot of praise.

Certainly not for the art style, that's for sure.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
So what exactly is the deal with this game? Seemed like to pop out of nowhere and it's getting a lot of praise.

As far as I can tell, it's for the people who like survival and builder games, like the people who loved the shit out of Valheim. Not my cup of tea, but for those whose it is, it's apparently some sort of holy grail of gaming in EA.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected

As far as I can tell, it's for the people who like survival and builder games, like the people who loved the shit out of Valheim. Not my cup of tea, but for those whose it is, it's apparently some sort of holy grail of gaming in EA.
and then there is me playing on a "free" server online. only 25 or so players out of 40 cap but i am in a 3 people clan and having a lot of fun. there are already rivalries and plots for revenge, betrayal and so on . this stuff is addicting

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's actually much more fun than Valheim for me.
Still a standart grindy crafting game but combat is more satisfying. There are actual builds and vampiric shapeshifting, survival is tied to sun and blood and your passive abilites change the blood you fed (you are what you eat)
There are lots of mini-bosses and mega bosses with nice combat tricks.

Game reminded me Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain a lot actually.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
yeah the thing i like is that there is no constant pressure to get water, vitamins and shit. only need to feed once the meter get depleted. you can also use blood to heal depleting the pool. but you can feed on any pve creature that has blood and it only requires to down it to less than 1/3 hp and feed ( wich requires few seconds) and boom, full blood pool replenished. no need to micromanage your survival like in other games. another part of it is the night / day cycle. when it's day you must stay in shadow otherwise you will get killed by the sun. it takes like 3 seconds staying in the sun to start getting damaged, so you have time to find repair, but once the damage procs is massive and can kill you fast. i like how active the system is.

Mazisky

Magister

Initially it seemed like I was getting a gear upgrade from each boss, but then I had a string of the same book at least 3 times.

It's pretty annoying that if I equip the crossbow for additional chip damage on a boss it lowers spell power. (Due to my mace having a higher item level.)

It is untrue that you shouldn't melee solo. I am near the end with solo play and sword buiild. The necro-shield is OP as melee vs bosses and enemies, use that.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I have to admit the gameplay loop is okay and fighting bosses is challenging enough. In general the game feels very thoughtfully designed. For example once you find spears you notice there's more to the combat than JUST smashing attack and the resource gathering isn't JUST a mindless grind for miniscule gains.

The "body type" thing though... And the male vampire looks dumb as fuck.

Also the Soudntrack neded to be either more... gothic or more Castlevania-y. I mean, come on. I find it rather nondescript.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I mean, come on. I find it rather nondescript.

Castle soundtrack is OK but yeah you are right. Blood moon nights especially need a nice, fitting music.

I tried to think of a gothic song about vampires that wasn't cringe as fuck but... as you can see I didn't find any.

Oh right, is there a way to have resources in my base recognized for building and crafting? Just putting them in a stash doesn't do it and it would be very odd if this game of all didn't have such a feature.

Mazisky

Magister
I mean, come on. I find it rather nondescript.

Castle soundtrack is OK but yeah you are right. Blood moon nights especially need a nice, fitting music.

I tried to think of a gothic song about vampires that wasn't cringe as fuck but... as you can see I didn't find any.

Oh right, is there a way to have resources in my base recognized for building and crafting? Just putting them in a stash doesn't do it and it would be very odd if this game of all didn't have such a feature.

To help my self I renamed all the containers (Plants, Minerals, Tailoring, Gems, Etc.) and every time i need to look for or store something I click the appropriate one and use the button that autosort them from inventory to container.

Also placed every container near the matching workstation

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom