Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Valheim - a brutal exploration and survival game - now available on Early Access

Curratum

Unlike Gothic, this overhyped nordic minecraft turd has combat that actually works.

LudensCogitet

Learned
People really comparing this overhyped nordic minecraft turd to gothic? What has this world come to...
My comparison of this game to Gothic was limited to a certain quality of the graphics.

Not sure whether the "this is a survival game, survival games suck" crowd has _tried_ this game or not, but the intriguing thing in this case is an overarching goal contextualizing the exploration, resource collecting, and crafting.

You have to explore to gather resources and find the bosses to defeat.
You want to gather resources and craft better equipment to defeat the bosses.

That being said, survival games suck and I suspect this one suffers too much from the usual problems of survival games (tedious repetition and time sinks, for instance) for its twist to make up for it.

The first 6 - 8 hours were fun and felt fresh. I don't vouch for hours 10 - 50, which it looks like will be necessary to complete the game.

GewuerzKahn

Savant
The first 6 - 8 hours were fun and felt fresh.
I refunded it after 2 hours because it was the same shit like Conan Exiles but with worse performance and dull setting.

For some reason I tried Nioh after playing Valheim. This game is so fun. I don't know why I ignored for the last 3 years.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
The low poly style is fine with me but the color scheme is a bit grating; dunno why this oversaturated look is so popular.
Normies = low IQ = preference for brighter colours (ie toddler's books are gariashly coloured and rightly so)
Gaming will never recover until with have LoGH-style retrofuturistic feudalism where 90% of the population is too poor to afford vidya

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's pretty good, been playing with a couple of others. Don't usually play these kind of games, but something grabbed me with this one. Setting is interesting, you are sent to a "new" tenth world of Yggdrasil after dying in battle, it's some kind of purgatory and here Odin wants you to fight his enemies. It has the normal trappings of these games I guess, building, farming stuff to build more stuff, but there is, or at least was in the beginning a great sense of adventure. The world felt dangerous, with M&B/Dark Souls-esque combat. But after playing now for some time a couple of cracks is starting to show. The game is clearly tiered, which I kinda knew it would be, like you go from leather to bronze etc, but not that the world is actually built up the same- like how goblins is higher level so they hit harder than trolls you meet in the beginning. And when I noticed this it actually killed a part of the game for me. Before I thought a shield is a shield (semi-simulation approach), like it would protect regardless of who hit it, but nopes - higher level enemies hit harder which makes the damage bleed through insta-gibbing you. That really disappointed me because I realized that there is no point at taking the longboat for exploration before you actually got the equipment for it, which means you are trapped in some kind of mmoish progression system...

Otherwise I find the graphics/art direction charming, weather effects etc are well done and sets the mood, especially at sea. Building stuff, your home, outposts are fun, and needed since you can't teleport with metals. The game (but it depends on who you play with of course) allows for a lot of larping. I built a small tavern to the outpost we have, and players on the server comes by, sits down to cook some food and have a chat etc. It's highly immersive in that way. It just needs a bit more special stuff, maybe quests and unique places to visit, because after a while you really feel that it's just a game after all and you start to meta shit.

Another thing. The game before the second patch had a minimum of 3D UI on the screen. It only showed damage basically. But casuals complained and now creatures that spots you gets a "exclamation mark" above their head. If this is what's to come it saddens me - I want more hardcore stuff, not less. I'm just waiting for the patch note that says "you can now teleport with metals" because a ton of people are complaining over this - that it actually takes time to travel and you have to put in some effort. What is funny here it's usually some dad with 25 children that complains he has no time, but has 5k hours in Ark :)

AhOeWN7.jpg
u3TwbRn.jpg
B1QABzq.jpg
dhoadge.jpg
pAUrtxU.jpg
F4qk84l.jpg

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
WorthABuy is usually trustworthy. But maybe it's just one of those things where one's liking for something is idiosyncratic and probably wouldn't be shared by most people.

The graphics look pretty bad, it has to be said.

(Replying to myself) On further inspection I now understand, it combines the fad for 90s graphics with amazing draw distances, nice landscape art design, and great lighting effects (which lead to a sense of scale).

I can see it now (though I still don't like it, having lived through 90s graphics in realtime :) ).

Generic-Giant-Spider

Tried to access the Steam link but my computer said "sorry this game is too gay for you." Then it gave me a call center number in India. So I called it and a pajeet named Steve (real name Tanakaran) told me, "Yes sorry sir this game is too gay. Much too gay."

Seems like a gay game.

Curratum

Could not decide whether to give you a participation award or a retarded one, but went with retarded in the end.

For someone who has otherwise decent taste in games, you sure post some dumb shit on occasion, Generic-Giant-Spider :\

Generic-Giant-Spider

Curratum

I also think it's an amazing game.

The game had 150 000 players in it right now. That's not some traction, that's like a supernova.

It's an Early Access game with Overwhelmingly Positive reviews and at 13 000+ reviews.

Unlike Gothic, this overhyped nordic minecraft turd has combat that actually works.

you sure post some dumb shit on occasion,

Welcome to my blocklist! :bounce:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
This game is absolutely impressive, feels like in the old days.

It may look low budget to many people but in fact the sounds, music and practically everything is close to perfection. I think there is much more to this than meets the eye, most of all = raw genius.

Curratum

303 000 concurrent players.

For an indie game that has had virtually zero advertising and has PS1-era graphics, you have to be a literal textbook retard to go "But Skyrim had a lot of players too".

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This game is absolutely impressive, feels like in the old days.

It may look low budget to many people but in fact the sounds, music and practically everything is close to perfection. I think there is much more to this than meets the eye, most of all = raw genius.
By all accounts this game hits nearly every item in the cash grab checklist.

Survival game? Check.
Vikings? Check.
Crafting? Check.
Procedural generation? Check.
Early access? Check.
RPG Elements? Check.
Low poly graphics? Check.

A game with all of the above has no fucking business being this engrossing. I don't get it.

Reinhardt

Arcane
you are sent to a "new" tenth world of Yggdrasil after dying in battle, it's some kind of purgatory
So you are just some bitch who couldn't even die properly so instead of feasting with other brave heroes you are working your ass in some monster infested forest?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bought it because a friend made a little private server. It's fun enough with friends, but then anything is.
It wouldn't be half as fun in single player.

The one positive thing about playing alone though, considering the setting and story is the feeling of desolation. Especially if you turn off the music.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
This has a lot of potential but it needs a lot of work. It feels very samey, very desolate and not necessarily in a good way.

Best survival game is still The Long Dark.

Iron Gate AB CEO Richar Svensson has warned players of a critical bug via Twitter. “If you are playing Valheim this weekend, please backup your world and characters. The evil world-destroyer bug is still roaming free =(“

Generic-Giant-Spider

For an indie game that has had virtually zero advertising and has PS1-era graphics, you have to be a literal textbook retard to go "But Skyrim had a lot of players too".

TemplarGR

Light this cocksucka' up. For Todd.

shoots gang sign

Puukko

Arcane
I have put some 18 hours into this with a few buddies and we're not losing steam yet. I really haven't even thought about how much of it is randomly generated because the world has been very convincing and organic feeling. The difficulty level has been fine so far for the most part. We reached the plains biome and that is where the first issues started to show as some weak looking enemies like goblins and big mosquitoes were one or two shotting us. There were some huge bear ox creatures nearby and you'd absolutely expect those to put up a serious fight, but goblins being tougher than huge trolls is just silly.

I've found the mix of relaxing crafting and base building and tough exploration and combat to present a very nice balance where you can focus on either depending on what you feel like doing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom