Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Valve Leak 2020

So apparently a lot of Valve related content has been released onto the net, including the source code for Source games. In addition to code there's content relating to early TF2 and Half Life 2 builds.
This will be quite the shitshow.
Already there are claims of the source code being used for remote code execution which means viruses that can infect your computer from merely joining a server.
Well where did this leak come from? A disgruntled modder.

L55qVbIA_o.png

As to who leaked the code originally, well people are already getting all kinds of ideas, some are thinking that it's Gabe's own son.

teMsoj08_o.png

Both people, the modder that leaked this and gabe's son may share a connection to a youtuber who runs the channel Valve News Network.

Last edited:

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
And these are the people we waive our rights and sign EULAs to in order to enjoy our hobby.

It's like living in World War II era, only Hitler, Stalin, and Mao are all petulant 7 year old children who demand to watch Mighty Morphin Power Rangers or they'll launch another rocket attack at your cities.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Going by the first paragraph it has me believing it was the typical thin-skinned sjw-types that got him thrown out. Can't of course be sure, but the whole thing stinks of Reddits best, so I will shed no tears for Valve or this community.

And now for the drama!

Wesp5

Arcane
In addition to code there's content relating to [...] Half Life 2 builds.
Can Bloodlines modders make any use of this? Wesp5

Maybe. The current Unoffiicial Bloodlines SDK is based on a leaked alpha of HL2, this latest leak might be closer to the Source engine version used in Bloodlines. But only the Russian coders who created the SDK can judge this, I don't understand anything about this ;)!

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
The One Angry Gamer article on this is very interesting and informative.

I don't blame Gaben for not wanting to release a game on Unity. It's definitely an image problem. It seems like their management is fucked though and their coders suck. Source 2 sounds like an embarrassment. I'd guess Gabe is probably the only one left who isn't an SJW and he's too beta to take control.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The One Angry Gamer article on this is very interesting and informative.

I don't blame Gaben for not wanting to release a game on Unity. It's definitely an image problem. It seems like their management is fucked though and their coders suck. Source 2 sounds like an embarrassment. I'd guess Gabe is probably the only one left who isn't an SJW and he's too beta to take control.

I don't think it's because he's scared, I just don't think he gives much of a fuck about day to day stuff at Valve (as long as it's making him $$$). Hence the hands off management structure.

Rodcocker

Arbiter
How the hell did they develop 95% of a game without telling Gabe that they were using Unity...?

Either some of these leaks are BS (funny though) or Valve is more dysfunctional than I imagined.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I'm going to go with dysfunctional. Valve hasn't had to be run well since Steam became a huge money maker. It's more of a playground than a game development studio.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Valve is run on a "flat structure". Of course it's dysfunctional through and through. Any organization on a "flat structure" is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom