Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 - VTMB sequel from The Chinese Room - coming Fall 2024

Shaja

Educated
Hope those WIP locations are just old files from the past. Cause if that´s their current state.. Oh boy even Dragon Age Veilguard looks more ready than this.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Yeah Wesp you could probably pitch for at least a play at the IP for an indie title you ever think about it?

No, because I am a complete layman doing this is my spare time and it is one thing to fix or restore content that is already there only broken or hidden, and another to create something new from scratch.
Only a foretold, true developer would be so humble. So, you see, you are the one, after all!

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Hope those WIP locations are just old files from the past. Cause if that´s their current state.. Oh boy even Dragon Age Veilguard looks more ready than this.

I like the Women In Prison genre and I'm glad that Chinese Room has come to its senses and will give us some joy for a change.

escape-from-womens-prison-1.jpg

Semiurge

Cipher
https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/store/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines-2/9pf9rkwb9b50

"In-game purchases"

This seems like it means the ability to buy/pre-order the additional Clan DLCs in-game only but are they tone-deaf enough to offer microtransactions a la Assassin's Creed or any of the Ubisoft live-service single-player games?

The whole idea is tonedeaf, no matter the execution. Remember the "merchant" at your party camp in DA:O?

Furthermore, no one will want their DLCs anyway.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Oh, please, PLEASE fill this thing with a bunch of microtransactions. Anything to ensure this turd crashes and burns on arrival.

J1M

Arcane
And all the non white people and strong women occupy most of the power positions in Boston? I don't really believe that. It looks very much like "the message" to me ;)!
Yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayor_of_Boston
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_City_Council#Districts_and_current_council

The Democratic Party is the party of women and black people. The sun is setting on white guys. The same applies to vampire society in Boston; the new Prince is a woman who overthrew the old corrupt white male Prince.
So they stopped caring about accuracy when they got to the corruption aspect?

Cohesion

Liturgist
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
No, because I am a complete layman doing this is my spare time and it is one thing to fix or restore content that is already there only broken or hidden, and another to create something new from scratch.

My brother in Caine, you've been doing this for almost 20 years now. "Layman" you are not.

(speaking of, what happened to Prelude?)
Modding some framework for 20+ years won't transform you into a programmer/developer. Modders are not coders or software architects. You need to know how these engines work, how to write your own engine, how hardware works, know math and graph theory at least.

Vincente

Arbiter

My brother in Caine, you've been doing this for almost 20 years now. "Layman" you are not.

Modding some framework for 20+ years won't transform you into a programmer/developer. Modders are not coders or software architects. You need to know how these engines work, how to write your own engine, how hardware works, know math and graph theory at least.
He's been fixing his own bugs caused by his patch for the last 15-or-so years, while "restoring" beta levels and cut content that were clearly not up to the standard of the game. Oh, also changing Darling Violetta's Smaller God from thin-blood beach radio to something else, because uhh... reasons.

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
know math and graph theory at least.

Yeah but that's fucking gay and gross. :mad:

Shitposting aside, I've never been interested in the architecture of game engines and such, I cried tears of joy when I finally passed my Algebra 2 exam that included graph theory and never looked back etc, so I don't really know what would be involved in such an undertaking.

But I don't think you need to be that familiar with the underlying technology in order to develop a video-game nowadays. You're not gonna program your own engine, for Chrissakes. There are like 10 billion options out there right now that offer pre-build solutions, you don't have to code your own Physics Engine in Assembly or something.

All it takes is dedication and autism, and boy, our dude Wesp has both in spades. :salute:

Cohesion

Liturgist
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
know math and graph theory at least.

Yeah but that's fucking gay and gross. :mad:

Shitposting aside, I've never been interested in the architecture of game engines and such, I cried tears of joy when I finally passed my Algebra 2 exam that included graph theory and never looked back etc, so I don't really know what would be involved in such an undertaking.

But I don't think you need to be that familiar with the underlying technology in order to develop a video-game nowadays. You're not gonna program your own engine, for Chrissakes. There are like 10 billion options out there right now that offer pre-build solutions, you don't have to code your own Physics Engine in Assembly or something.

All it takes is dedication and autism, and boy, our dude Wesp has both in spades. :salute:
And that's why we have games like Starfield and others taking 5+ years and HUNDREDS of people to shit turd flop which is worse than previous entries by the same studio while budgets are higher than ever.

Cohesion

Liturgist
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hack writers, hack coders, low pay, zero security, crunch, dangerhair DEI consultants - this is current game dev. Competent people work in fintech/military/etc, trash goes to game dev nowadays.
Carried by marketing.

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
And that's why we have games like Starfield and others taking 5+ years and HUNDREDS of people to shit turd flop which is worse than previous entries by the same studio while budgets are higher than ever.

I was taking about Wesp specifically. You can't expect the same standard from a single hobbyist modder/pseudo-kinda-sorta developer and a cocksucking motherfucking multi-BILLION dollar studio.

There's nothing wrong with using premade solutions if you just wanna put your passion project out without spending 10 years learning how to be a proper programmer. In my entertainment, I appreciate artistry a whole lot more than following C++ best practices.

But I do agree though, fuck the niggers at Bethesda who actually are are multi-billion dollar studio while employing a bunch of semi-illiterate street-shitting Pajeets with the most barebone surface level of understanding as to what the fuck they're actually doing.

Cohesion

Liturgist
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
They will buy journos reviews, pay for denuvo and blame toxic chuds while laying off (useless) devs and paying fat bonuses to execs - they need cocaine, lamborghinis and yachts. Feels good, man.
:dead:

Wesp5

Arcane

Yeah, I know my way around Bloodlines, but this doesn't make me a professional ;)! Which is why it took me 20 years and why I sometimes introduced bugs that I had to fix myself later. Not that this never happens in official patches too and of course I have no Q&A team standing by to make everything fool proof. Vincente, the cut content the plus patch restores mostly has the quality of the original Troika stuff because as Tim Cain said multiple times, the game was released unfinished and not cut down because of the quality. Content we basically had to improvise ourself because too little was left is another thing though and a matter of taste :). As for the song at the beach, it was the only one used twice in the game, so I replaced it by another one that most people would never hear as it was at the end of the radio loop. But maybe if the atmosphere there is so important, I should rather replace it at the Emire Hotel, where it isn't that critical? I will think this over...

As for the Prelude, part 2 will be released as a beta soon, but it was delayed because the hardest thing for us modders is to create new dialogue that is at least a little bit similar to what Brian Mitsoda and others wrote for the original game.

Vincente

Arbiter
As for the song at the beach, it was the only one used twice in the game, so I replaced it by another one that most people would never hear as it was at the end of the radio loop. But maybe if the atmosphere there is so important, I should rather replace it at the Emire Hotel, where it isn't that critical? I will think this over...
Why fucking replace it? Why touch it at all? It wasn't broken nor buggy. This is what your problem is. The game was playable start to end in 2011 with your patch at its 9-something iteration, as even GOG version comes pre-packaged with it for some reason. We are in 2024 now and you're still fixing your own bugs.

Wesp5

Arcane
Why fucking replace it? Why touch it at all? It wasn't broken nor buggy.

It was the only reasonable place to restore the other song to. You never wanted to hear that although Troika spent hard cash to license it? Then go ahead and play the GOG version where it is like in the original game. I might indeed take a look though if it would be better at the Empire and I am pretty sure this was an oversight on Troika's part, because why would they play only one song twice and another song not at all? But as the Empire map is probably the newer one it probably has the wrong song...

Vincente

Arbiter

It was the only reasonable place to restore the other song to. You never wanted to hear that although Troika spent hard cash to license it? Then go ahead and play the GOG version where it is like in the original game. I might indeed take a look though if it would be better at the Empire and I am pretty sure this was an oversight on Troika's part, because why would they play only one song twice and another song not at all? But as the Empire map is probably the newer one it probably has the wrong song...
Again, let me repeat what I just said. Is it a bug? Is it broken? No? Then don't touch it. You're not a game developer, you're a patch maker. When your work goes from having bugfixes into changing perfectly fine things in the game, it goes from being a patch into being a mod.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
As for the song at the beach, it was the only one used twice in the game, so I replaced it by another one that most people would never hear as it was at the end of the radio loop. But maybe if the atmosphere there is so important, I should rather replace it at the Emire Hotel, where it isn't that critical? I will think this over...
Can you replace yourself with a better modder, instead of ruining the game?

jackofshadows

Magister

Again, let me repeat what I just said. Is it a bug? Is it broken? No? Then don't touch it. You're not a game developer, you're a patch maker. When your work goes from having bugfixes into changing perfectly fine things in the game, it goes from being a patch into being a mod.
It's always been a mod. Any adequate person knows that, even MCA referred to it as such.

Wesp5

Arcane
It's always been a mod. Any adequate person knows that, even MCA referred to it as such.

Exactly. That's why it is called an Unofficial Patch in the first place! Only the original developers would know where restored content would go and how it should be used and even when Brian Mitsoda emailed me about the library quest and other things he just couldn't remember. So unless Tim Cain has notes about everything that was left unfinished in Bloodlines we are out of luck. Anyway the original song is back at the pier in plus now and I moved the restored music into the Empire hotel...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom