Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Van Buren/FO3 good news

Platter said:
Think of a better paradox. :P
Think of a better paradox?

Pier 39 and Pier 40 :)

Jed

Cipher
Platter said:
It's a San Francisco joke (I assume): Pier 39 is one of the biggest tourist traps in the Bay Area, and Pier 40 is...well, pretty much just a pier with some fairy ramshackle warehouses.

Platter

Educated
Your paradox has forced me to re-examine all my most precious beliefs.

Kanthiat

Novice
the paradox isnt wot happens to the universe, there would be to many variables for that, its wot happens to the inventor, does he live or die?

Platter

Educated
Kanthiat said:
the paradox isnt wot happens to the universe, there would be to many variables for that, its wot happens to the inventor, does he live or die?
That is what I was answering.

As in, guy goes back in time and kills inventor of time travel. Everything in our past remains the same but an alternate universe is created where the inventor was killed and time travel was never invented.

That's just one possible answer.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I thought the whole reason Fallout was M-Rated was so it could present a world of ethical choices for the player, not just so some NPCs could say SHITDAMNFUCKBITCH! and you could get your shag on with the nearest hooker.

For example, you could use drugs in Fallout, so long as you were prepared to deal with addiction.

Platter

Educated
So in other words, upon hearing about a way that Fallout 3 will be like the original, you try and turn it around to say how much it won't be like the original.
What do you want to hear? That it WON'T be an M-rated game?
You would be even more upset at any news that was the opposite of what we just got. So what are you on about?

Oh, that's right. You seek attention by constantly complaining. Even if that means you occasionally have to complain about news that you WANT to hear. You HAVE to complain.

You know, Fallout 1 had some all-capital swear words and random shagging. I GUESS IT SUCKS!!

atoga

Novice
^_____^ ^_________^ ^__^ ^_________^ ^_____^ ^____
Platter said:
You know, Fallout 1 had some all-capital swear words and random shagging. I GUESS IT SUCKS!!

There was one hooker in Fallout 1. Also, swearing tends to have more of an effect if it's used in moderation (I can only think of a couple people in F1 who swore a lot). However, random swearing and hookers in excess just waters everything else down & is pretty juvenile as well.

Platter

Educated
atoga said:
There was one hooker in Fallout 1. Also, swearing tends to have more of an effect if it's used in moderation (I can only think of a couple people in F1 who swore a lot).
And where has it been said it will not be used similarly in Fallout 3?
atoga said:
However, random swearing and hookers in excess just waters everything else down & is pretty juvenile as well.
I don't recall JE saying this is how he planned to do it.

Really, unless SP was responding to Volourn's post and not the actual news itself (Which is possible, but he's still an ass and I'm not retracting anything - just replace the subject matter with whatever his next or last news update was. I'm sure he was just as much an ass in them as ever.), he was just looking for an excuse to complain here.

Realbumpbert

Liturgist
No, a parallel universe would not be created. There would all ready be a parallel universe in which there was no time travel; the universe in which the inventor was killed and time travel never invented would not exist because the man who killed the inventor did so using time travel. :lol:

Occam's razor would say that time travel is just impossible...

Voss

Erudite
Mind you, I find the idea of a razor saying things an impossible act by itself, so I don't think its opinion really counts. :D

Spazmo

Erudite
Wait a minute--Occam's razor doesn't say time travel is impossible. How does 'the simplest explanation is usually the right one' equate to impossible time travel? Explanation to what, exactly?

Spazmo

Erudite
That's not simple at all. That, in fact, is a very complex theorem, the proving of which would require a total redefinition of how we percieve reality. You, sir, are fuly defying Occam's Razor.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Platter said:
Really, unless SP was responding to Volourn's post and not the actual news itself (Which is possible, but he's still an ass and I'm not retracting anything - just replace the subject matter with whatever his next or last news update was. I'm sure he was just as much an ass in them as ever.), he was just looking for an excuse to complain here.

Actually, I was replying to Volourn, and I was also making a point - the point which TEAM CHUCK doesn't seem to get. Fallout isn't about running around with Tourette's Syndrome or how many hookers you can bed down. It's about ethical choices, and that's why it's M-Rated, and that's why evil actions and relatively immoral acts, while they may be good in the short term, have longer term consequences.

DrattedTin

Liturgist
Not at all, Spazmo.

Time is a concept, a measuring stick. If you like to think that concepts are real, that's fine.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
OMG! Another pseudo scientific discussion! I love those :D

DrattedTin said:
Time is a concept, a measuring stick. If you like to think that concepts are real, that's fine.
While time as we define it is indeed a concept, the flow of it is quite real and has actual measurable impacts on many physical processes. Since it's a physical process, theoretically it could be physically manipulated: slowed, reversed, stopped. Otherwise how would you explain Time Stop spell? :lol:

Voss

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
OMG! Another pseudo scientific discussion! I love those :D

DrattedTin said:
While time as we define it is indeed a concept, the flow of it is quite real and has actual measurable impacts on many physical processes. Since it's a physical process, theoretically it could be physically manipulated: slowed, reversed, stopped. Otherwise how would you explain Time Stop spell? :lol:

the impacts on physical processes could be sheer coincidence.
It could just be invisible magic gnomes doing unmentionable things.
Times is, time isn't. Its like an inch, but not like a mountain.

Hmm. Before this goes any farther, this should be declared a

:arrow: No Metaphor zone. :!:

Spazmo

Erudite
DrattedTin said:
Not at all, Spazmo.

Yes, because time as time is the generally accepted paradigm. Removing, replacing or modifying this is remarkably complicated, which defies Occam's Razor. So please explain how you can apply this law to this situation?

DrattedTin

Liturgist
Spazmo said:
DrattedTin said:
Not at all, Spazmo.

Yes, because time as time is the generally accepted paradigm. Removing, replacing or modifying this is remarkably complicated, which defies Occam's Razor. So please explain how you can apply this law to this situation?

I already made it as clear as possible. The simplest answer here is "Time does not exist". This is far simpler than any other answer in this thread, and makes more sense than most of the other answers.

If you want to say ideas are real and concrete because they are accepted, we might as well applaud the marketing types we hate so much, and conclude that since real-time is so highly revered, well, it must be the perfect system, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom