Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Van Buren/FO3 good news

Spazmo

Erudite
Nobody's saying that the concept of time is 'real'. What I'm saying is that it's widely accepted, and the concept that time doesn't exist is not simple, or at least not as simple as time existing. If we have a word for it and it's a major part of our everyday lives, it exists. That's the simplest reasoning to me.

DrattedTin

Liturgist
Granted.

Getting back on subject, the sheer honesty of "Time doesn't exist" totally destroys the need for figuring out the whole "time-travelling paradox" thing. While it's been theorized that you could wind back the clock by going really fast, I've yet to hear of anyone actually doing it.

Platter

Educated
Saint_Proverbius said:
Actually, I was replying to Volourn,
Oh well, my ruling still stands.
Saint_Proverbius said:
and I was also making a point - the point which TEAM CHUCK doesn't seem to get. Fallout isn't about running around with Tourette's Syndrome or how many hookers you can bed down. It's about ethical choices, and that's why it's M-Rated, and that's why evil actions and relatively immoral acts, while they may be good in the short term, have longer term consequences.
You probably take the game more seriously than the people who made it.

And stop spreading stereotypes of people with Tourette's Syndrome. :x

Calis

Pensionado
DrattedTin said:
Granted.

Getting back on subject, the sheer honesty of "Time doesn't exist" totally destroys the need for figuring out the whole "time-travelling paradox" thing. While it's been theorized that you could wind back the clock by going really fast, I've yet to hear of anyone actually doing it.
Alright, the first guy to bring up special relativity gets slapped by a trout.
*slaps self with trout*

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
DrattedTin said:

Except time does exist and can be altered by physical events. Time dialation does occur on the space shuttle.

Platter said:
Saint_Proverbius said:
Actually, I was replying to Volourn,
Oh well, my ruling still stands.

Which would be what? The ruling that you can't grasp context or the ruling where you don't understand the meaning of the word unless?

Funny, considering Tim Cain stated publically that when he created Fallout, he wanted a game about ethical choices as opposed to building a better plasma rifle. His own words.

THE MORE YOU KNOW!

And stop spreading stereotypes of people with Tourette's Syndrome. :x

Who said stereotypes can't be true?

Platter

Educated
Saint_Proverbius said:
Which would be what? The ruling that you can't grasp context or the ruling where you don't understand the meaning of the word unless?
Well, that second sentence makes no sense but here is what I was referring to;
"unless SP was responding to Volourn's post and not the actual news itself (Which is possible, but he's still an ass and I'm not retracting anything - just replace the subject matter with whatever his next or last news update was. I'm sure he was just as much an ass in them as ever.)"

Saint_Proverbius said:
Funny, considering Tim Cain stated publically that when he created Fallout, he wanted a game about ethical choices as opposed to building a better plasma rifle. His own words.

THE MORE YOU KNOW!

Saint_Proverbius said:
Who said stereotypes can't be true?
You got me there.

Visceris

Liturgist
I think developers should make all computer role playing games rated M.

Sex, Drugs, and ROLE PLAYING!

BWAAHAAAHAAAAA!

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Platter said:
"unless SP was responding to Volourn's post and not the actual news itself (Which is possible, but he's still an ass and I'm not retracting anything - just replace the subject matter with whatever his next or last news update was. I'm sure he was just as much an ass in them as ever.)"

I fail to see how expecting a level of maturity to be present in a mature rated game is being an ass. If you want the immature side of mature, go buy Postal 2. I think the post in reference to the suggestion by the IPLY forum guy saing the player should be allowed to rape chicks in the game is exactly what I'm saying they shouldn't use the M-rating for.

Oh, and you're a dumbass.

Crazy Tuvok

Liturgist
I hope the M-Rating is being implemented in a way that is consistent with the original FO as succintly put by Saint up above.

Maybe we should start a new forum for everyone who wants to come here to complain about Saint/call him an ass/bitch about how rude everyone here is/lament our use of swear words/plead with us not to ream morons.

Oh wait never mind - I forgot that there already are these forums: the IPLY boards.

Platter

Educated
Saint_Proverbius said:
Platter said:

I fail to see how expecting a level of maturity to be present in a mature rated game is being an ass. If you want the immature side of mature, go buy Postal 2. I think the post in reference to the suggestion by the IPLY forum guy saing the player should be allowed to rape chicks in the game is exactly what I'm saying they shouldn't use the M-rating for.

Read what I said again. I said right from the beginning that even if you were not saying what I thought you were this time, plenty more of your posts and news updates are oozing with ass-ness. Thus "unless SP was responding to Volourn's post and not the actual news itself (Which is possible, but he's still an ass and I'm not retracting anything".

No where did I say you were an ass for "expecting a level of maturity to be present in a mature rated game". I called you an ass for assuming right from the beginning that Fallout 3 would not have "a level of maturity", and then quickly realised that is not what you said (though you probably still think it). However, again, SP-ass-ness is still smeared all over this website in countless other threads and news updates, so I see no reason to retract what I said, thus "just replace the subject matter with whatever his next or last news update was. I'm sure he was just as much an ass in them as ever."

Seriously, just read your post history man. The fact that you are even opposing the claim that you're an ass surprises me. I thought you were doing it on purpose.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I said nothing of the sort. I said, in reply to Volourn's post about hookers, swearing, and what not, that the point of Fallout's M-Rating was to make a game that had a level of ethics to it. I didn't even MENTION Fallout 3. That's all I said, and you took it upon yourself to interpret this as a criticism on Fallout 3, when it was a comment on a post by anotehr user.

Platter

Educated
Dude, I admitted all that on friggin July 24, before even your first response to me, and in every post in this thread since.

*knock* *knock*
*dingdong*
*ping*
Anyone home?!

And let's get something straight here. Your response to Volourn was nearly a month after his post with no quote to indicate who you were responding to. I don't think it was unreasonable for me to assume it was about the topic in general instead of some random post from a month earlier. The original post in this thread is about Fallout 3.
So yea, I "took it upon myself to interpret it as a critism of Fallout 3". In a thread about Fallout 3. Gee, what a stretch on my part.

Ass.

Platter

Educated
Erm, as I explained in my previous post it was a reasonable assumption. Sorry, I didn't have my SP random-post-shizoid-decoder ring that day. I assumed your post on the Mature rating in a topic about Fallout 3's Mature rating, had some relation to, lo and behold, Fallout 3, instead of a response to a month old post you hadn't quoted.

So yes SP, that's what I get. Indeed. I guess?

In a related story;
http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1979

You really are doing it on purpose, right?
Or does it just sort of... ooze out?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
It's plagiarism regardless, Platter. My words on their site, the publisher of the media is just as responsible as the people who cut and paste it - especially when a member of their site has credit for that question. That's why they removed that.

Platter

Educated
After getting the full story from the various Gamer's Hell employees who posted in that thread, you still see no problem with the way you handled the situation?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
You think they would have bothered replying at all if I hadn't made a stink?

What am I guilty of here? I sent an interview request to a developer because people on this site expressed interest in the title. They said they'd do an interview, so I spent about an hour or so writing up 13 questions. A month later, they sent the questions back with the answers. I read it over, I checked the English, fixed some spelling and grammar errors, and posted it.

Then some of that interview, with words I'd written landed on another site because they don't bother checking what they post. In fact, the person creditted with the interview for their site, Matthew Patterson emailed me after I raised a stink saying the first time he'd seen any of the interview was after there was controversy about it. Mr. Patterson, BTW, is one hell of a nice guy. Very open, very honest, and very forthcoming, unlike the editor of the site who took no responsibility for putting my question on their site.

In short, all I did was take the time to make an interview with Mayhem. Gamer's Hell screwed the pooch on this one, because they don't proof read what they post, and have no coordination to make sure things like this don't happen. They didn't even know who originally wrote the questions when they posted it, so they creditted it to a guy on their site who does the majority of the interviews without even asking him if he did it or if there was a problem with it. They just assumed he sent the interview, didn't bother reviewing it or checking with the interviewer, and posted it! That's what makes them responsible, Platter. Well, in this case, irresponsible.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I would say that most of the blame falls on the editor for screwing the pooch (I'm sorry - I couldn't think of a better term for what they did. Your words summed it best.) on that one.

On a related note, what business does their Hardware Reviewer have by participating in the argument and attacking us without any knowledge of what had transpired?

Platter

Educated
Saint_Proverbius said:
You think they would have bothered replying at all if I hadn't made a stink?

Did you even wait a reasonable amount of time for a response to your email before 'raising a stink' (in fact, even your original email to them was pretty smelly)? I don't think you cared if raising a stink was necessary or not, you wanted to do it. Don't try and say it was just to get a response.

Saint_Proverbius said:
They didn't even know who originally wrote the questions when they posted it, so they creditted it to a guy on their site who does the majority of the interviews without even asking him if he did it or if there was a problem with it.
Erm, you mean they don't send back every single thing to the original interviewer and ask him if they wrote all the questions? That seems kind of ass. This was a freak case, an isolated incident, and realistically it was the fault of the interviewee, not the interviewer, and even then still most likely an accident and not malicious in intent as your initial 'stink' would lead one to believe.
I fail to see how that makes Gamer's Hell "rat bastards".
That's nice that you have time to check for extremely unlikely stuff like that on a small site. However, it would make no sense for a business to do such a thing.

Anyway, what is in your initial news post about it is just plain wrong. You say they "ripped questions and answers, word for word, from my interview as well as from Jucaushii's interview" when you (now) know damn well what actually happened is all the questions they sent were their own, the interviewee pasted the same answers into multiple interviews, and because of an oversight (whether you consider that oversight to be mostly to blame on the interviewee or Gamer's Hell) one of your questions got placed in there by mistake.

So even though you now know what you have on the front page is not true, you will not retract a single word simply because they may be legally responsible for the incident. What you can't seem to grasp, or rather won't admit, is that that does not mean that every single thing you said was true.

At least admit you jumped the gun "a bit". Even Spazmo admitted that.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Platter said:
That's nice that you have time to check for extremely unlikely stuff like that on a small site. However, it would make no sense for a business to do such a thing.

It makes more sense for a business to do. If you're paying people to be an editor, then you should damned well expect their sorry asses to proof read and edit, not just post anything that pops in to their email as an interview from a developer. You'd expect they would know who exactly wrote up that interview so they could verify if there were any problems with the interview, even if it's to make sure the answers were what they were shooting for when they asked the questions in the first place. In short, if you have people getting paid to do stuff like this, then you should expect they'd do a better job at it - not worse than the people who just do it as a hobby.

Anyway, what is in your initial news post about it is just plain wrong. You say they "ripped questions and answers, word for word, from my interview as well as from Jucaushii's interview" when you (now) know damn well what actually happened is all the questions they sent were their own, the interviewee pasted the same answers into multiple interviews, and because of an oversight (whether you consider that oversight to be mostly to blame on the interviewee or Gamer's Hell) one of your questions got placed in there by mistake.

Pretty big mistake, especially when you have a staff of 15+ people, getting paid to make sure mistakes don't happen.

So even though you now know what you have on the front page is not true, you will not retract a single word simply because they may be legally responsible for the incident. What you can't seem to grasp, or rather won't admit, is that that does not mean that every single thing you said was true.

Again, all I did was take the time to interview a developer and post it. From there, they fucked up.

Kanthiat

Novice
Occam's Razor is a GAP Rule (General APpliance Rule), it is used on the majority of cases, and proved correct, but a small minority become exceptions. Time travel is full of paradox's, not the pier 39/40 kind, and there fore cannot be treated usaully as a normal equation, using generalities like would be appropriate for Occam's Razor. Ouch.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Why do you people write "Occam" instead of "Ockham"? Is it another correct way to spell the philosopher's surname?

Raymondo

Liturgist
I don't know, kind of the same with color and colour?

Sometimes I just wake up and I'm like holy fuck which one should I write.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom