Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Victoria 2: Ahistorical fairy-land Latin America, what the fuck Paradox?

LizardWizard

Cipher
Why would Vicky be done? CKII is a good example of what was once a nearly forgotten title turning into massive success.
If they don't want to release more Victoria games, they should at least have the decency to hand the code over to some modders interested in making games off it. Although I think they would't because its the Clausewitz engine, not the Europa Engine which they already abandoned. Thanks to that we got For The Glory and Darkest Hour.

That's a bad example first off as CK was Paradox's best game despite being half-finished due to a disastrous development cycle. It was far from forgotten as it got an expansion 4 years after the initial release and Rome/Sengoku were literally just testing grounds for a CK sequel which had an extremely active forum.

Besides, Vicky 2 was essentially Ck 2 except like 800k copies less successful.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Why would Vicky be done? CKII is a good example of what was once a nearly forgotten title turning into massive success.
If they don't want to release more Victoria games, they should at least have the decency to hand the code over to some modders interested in making games off it. Although I think they would't because its the Clausewitz engine, not the Europa Engine which they already abandoned. Thanks to that we got For The Glory and Darkest Hour.

That's a bad example first off as CK was Paradox's best game despite being half-finished due to a disastrous development cycle. It was far from forgotten as it got an expansion 4 years after the initial release and Rome/Sengoku were literally just testing grounds for a CK sequel which had an extremely active forum.

Besides, Vicky 2 was essentially Ck 2 except like 800k copies less successful.

Plus, if what I said is true and Paradox wasn't being flippant, it sounds like Johann doesn't have much confidence in the Vicky franchise.

Which is a shame. It's flawed as hell, but enjoyable as hell.

Main flaw being no special events for Canada or British Columbia. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Vicky 2 is my favourite pdox game. CK2 and EU 4 peacetime is boring, but here you ahve to take care of economy, and those damn liberals trying to give some weird ideas like freedom and people rights, good riddance.

Urbanolo

Augur
What's up with the alliances in the new patch? In 3.03 you could annex poor Montenegro for example as Serbia day 1, now they have like 5 allies including Russia after a week. Made my Bavaria game much harder too, since my allies won't join offensive wars they joined in previous patch (bye bye Bavarian Sicilly).

Fuck Vicky 2. The Distant Worlds of paradox gayms. You let your industry blob until shit goes nuts.

Wish they went back to a vicky 1 model, including the previous divisional and province model that made a ww1-style war somewhat feasible.

Distant Worlds
At least Distant Worlds likes to apply blaster fire to your industry every now and then, either delivered via piracy or war, which forces you to rebuild it. Even if half of your factory-bearing provinces in Vic2 are occupied for a decade, none of the factories actually get destroyed and the war-torn modifiers (can't remember if that was vanilla or not) don't really hurt you that much.

It was a slightly unfair comparison, but the main issue is how it can blob out of control, together with explosive pop growth during late game phases. It ends up having the same chaotic expansion rate of the private economy of DW-only the latter has a form of soft cap, so to speak, whereas vicky numbers continue to blob upwards.

hivemind

I hate the frogs so much.
They ditch me when I get tag teamed by Russia and Prussia as KuK.

They even DoW'd me for Lombardia before when we were allies and Prussia attacked me over hegemony. I forgave them and they do it again, bunch of fucking cunts.

Next campaign is going to be UK and I'll just occupy the entirety of France for 80 years while masturbating.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I like one mod, POP demand because it changes one mechanic, you can increase flashpoint tension by yourself even if you are a global power. Wish this was in vanilla.

hivemind

Can't you do it in vanilla through a national focus ?

I never played POP demand mod but I remember playing with this kind of a feature either in vanilla or in some other mod.

Delterius

Arcane
One of the features of the beta patch which I'm really looking forward to is the crisis system no longer fizzling out. I hate whenever nothing happens simply because one of the sides of the crisis had no Great Powers in it. If Russia supports the Greeks against the Ottomans and nobody really cares, then it should be war or something. I really hope PDM gets updated for the beta patch. Or that this heralds some new era for the Vicky franchise.

One of the features of the beta patch which I'm really looking forward to is the crisis system no longer fizzling out. I hate whenever nothing happens simply because one of the sides of the crisis had no Great Powers in it. If Russia supports the Greeks against the Ottomans and nobody really cares, then it should be war or something. I really hope PDM gets updated for the beta patch. Or that this heralds some new era for the Vicky franchise.
When you said this I actually had no idea there was a beta patch, so I went and looked at the change log for it and ooooh yes this is making me actually want to play this damn game again. Especially with all of the event spam changes, and the changes they've made to crises in general.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Great Wars changing into World Wars has to be the best thing about this patch. Now if only game would go to 50's or 60's with WW2. They should make VIcky 3 like this.

Moink

Cipher
Warfare changed far too much for it to work over such a large period of time.

Delterius

Arcane
Plus, there's the geopolitical situation. Vicky is really about the Concert of Europe and how it comes crashing down during the age of imperialism. If you go back to the Napoleonic Era you end up changing it all.

hivemind

FUCK CAVOUR !
FUCK GARIBALDI !
FUCK NAPOLEON !

LONG LIVE THE KAISER !
LONG LIVE THE HAPSBURG CROWN !

tIR46eU.jpg

The reason why V2 is the best of the Paradox games is that since the timeline is not something stupidly large your effect on the game world can still be sorta considered 'alternative history' and not just a retarded senseless blob without any point to it like in the other ones.

In the screenshot above Savoy is my puppet(had to beat France in the war they usually declare for Lombardy) while the rest of Italy is firmly in my sphere and a 33 stack is patrolling Italy up and down to deal with any potential pan-Italian insurrection. This is something that possibly still could have happened, if a few things went differently here and there in real life Austria could have held onto her Italian possessions and forced French influence out. Now I did have to peace out Prussia almost immediately when they declared the Hegemony war and I lost prestige + any hope of having a say in German affairs but that's okay from a game perspective since idgaf about ever forming GROSS-Deutschland and it's still somewhat plausible from a historical perspective since it's essentially just the Hapsburg government deciding to lose imperial influence/conflict with Prussia over German affairs(which they honestly should have admitted even IRL when they got cucked out of the Zollverein and the Prussians having bolt action rifles) in order to improve their chances elsewhere in Europe.

If this was EU4 or CK2 and I played Austria/Hapsburg I would just end up with a retarded blob with no relation to anything historical at all because with such a large time period any conflict and map/game states would be created purely by the, often retarded, AI interactions and so lose much of their pseudo-historical charm.

So expanding the timeline could only take away from the game imo.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Now I did have to peace out Prussia almost immediately when they declared the Hegemony war and I lost prestige + any hope of having a say in German affairs but that's okay from a game perspective since idgaf about ever forming GROSS-Deutschland and it's still somewhat plausible from a historical perspective since it's essentially just the Hapsburg government deciding to lose imperial influence/conflict with Prussia over German affairs(which they honestly should have admitted even IRL when they got cucked out of the Zollverein and the Prussians having bolt action rifles) in order to improve their chances elsewhere in Europe.
It's still a good idea to try and ally with France and try and keep stomping Prussia as much as possible, while snatching South German states as much as infamy allows. Austria's biggest weakness in Vicky 2 is the shortage of core pops, so trying to gobble up Southern Germany is imperative. Same with how as Prussia it's more important to crush Austria than anyone else so you can annex them too for moar South Germans (that and Bohemia is one of the best coal production states in the game). Then again, Germany games tend to be about hitting that critical mass and then going apeshit with total disregard for infamy.

Delterius

Arcane
Yes, as Austria one great option is to crush Prussia from the beginning of the game, when your population numbers can still overwhelm them and keep kicking the prussian's asses for as much land as you can. Later on you create satellites from the Habsburg territories and form Greater Germany.

Another option in PDM is to form a Danube Federation. Personally, then I just love to bully Russia for a hundred years of assimilating sweet polish pops. Step 1) Conquer polish territories. Step 2) Demand the release of every russian republic I can.

hivemind

AI is apparently able to join wars even tho we have a truce.

well programmed

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom