Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Victoria 3

Victor1234

Educated
I'm surprised nobody here talked about/played the original Victoria. It's a tight, great game that looks a little ugly now, but I still play it. By contrast, Victoria 2 is so streamlined yet annoying at the same time, I haven't been able to finish a single campaign to the end and the less said about V3 the better.

They cut stuff out from 1 to 2 yet added a ton of complicated stuff that didn't ever work as intended. There was the usual overlord/vassal relationship in V1 like in every Paradox game, except they split it into satellites and dominions. The difference was dominions have a full alliance (they'll join you in offensive wars) and immigration bonuses, satellites just have a defensive alliance (ie, they won't join if you started a war). You could also send expeditionary forces (a HOI1 legacy code bit rather than intentional, I think) so that when your neighbors had a rebel problem, you could do something more than just stare (IIRC Prussia ended up doing exactly that and crushed most of the 1848 liberal revolutions in Germany) or you as the player could do things like intervene in the American Civil War without an event being required.

In Victoria 2, they exist too, but aside from the name giving a bit of flavor, both satellites and dominions behave exactly the same way. Instead Victoria 2 had that awful sphereing micro, which seemed like a good idea on paper but I avoided as much as possible except when needed for strategic resources or annexations. You also can't intervene militarily anymore except as formal alliances.

I do like V2's POP auto-promotion as probably the only feature that both worked and was an improvement over the original, although the AI did it in the original too (for other countries...for your own, it was a bit tedious but if you switched to another tag, saved and went back the AI did it) and colonization was different but OK in V2 (stolen from AGEOD's Pride of Nations...).

Turrul

Augur
Paradox rips off the most successful mods
I wish. The most successful mods tend to be successful because they do SOMETHING really damn well. Paradox never takes that SOMETHING from them. Never. If anything, it goes further away from it with each iteration. I mean imagine if they ripped off MEIOU for EUIV – I'd be ecstatic. Or Winter King for CK3.
They actually did rip off something from Winter King in CK3: It's dynamic sound design.

Delterius

Arcane

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Even if you ignore the woke stuff, the game is incredibly tame. This is the time period of social darwinism, the suppression of the Indians, the Armenian genocide... None of this here though!

Victor1234

Educated
Even if you ignore the woke stuff, the game is incredibly tame. This is the time period of social darwinism, the suppression of the Indians, the Armenian genocide... None of this here though!
Karl Marx is in the game, guys, it's Karl Marx and it's really him with the beard and everything! You can collect him like a Pokemon no matter which country you play!! I can't wait for the Che Guevara DLC. Shut up, I know he's later so we'll call this guy Chai Guevera, his great-grandfather. Chai means tea and everyone drank tea back then, Paradox has the cleverest puns and is like so educational, unlock the pun DLC for $19.99 today! 50% discount if you buy the fart joke DLC too.

Incidentally, you could exploit the manual promotion of pops in Victoria I to Armenian genocide anyone. Simply force the unwanted POPs into the army, send their unit into a low infrastructure province and let nature take it's course....this feature was removed in Victoria II.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
So the player count is trending down fast a week out from the update. I expect it to be back on the old trajectory by the end of this week crashing below 3k.

Victor1234

Educated
Yup, 17% drop takes it under 10k again. Guess they didn't like the patch after all.

1679494090846.png

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Yup, 17% drop takes it under 10k again. Guess they didn't like the patch after all.

1679494090846.png
inb4 investors look at this, and learn the lesson that complex games with deep systems don't sell, and we should just make more surface level war games.
After all, for the longest time the reason a new Victoria game wasn't made was "nobody would play a game like that".

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
So I'd argue that at the end of the period their "average daily concurrent users" on Steamcharts will end up around +400-800 for March. Is that good? Hard to say. Devs argued that their unique daily users is around 50k or something and they claim that that is great news. Imperator was probably around 10k by that metric when they canned it.

As far as the funny colors chart you guys post I think CK3 is more interesting there. CK3 is currrently ~20% above their nadir in the steamcharts daily average concurrent users. I suspect that they'll get to around 16k right before the new "major" DLC drops and then spike back into 30k for a while. Unless the DLC ends up being a bit of a dud which is always possible. Afterall until the DLC actually releases players can hype it up in their minds without annoying reality coming in to pop the bubble.

thesecret1

Arcane
inb4 investors look at this, and learn the lesson that complex games with deep systems don't sell, and we should just make more surface level war games.
After all, for the longest time the reason a new Victoria game wasn't made was "nobody would play a game like that".
But they didn't make a complex game with deep systems, so the lesson should be opposite.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
But they didn't make a complex game with deep systems, so the lesson should be opposite.
Are you new to the bizz? This was sold to investors the same way it was sold to us, as a complex 200 IQ economics and politics simulator, a worthy successor to the older complex 200 IQ economics and politics simulator, but even more complex!

thesecret1

Arcane
Are you new to the bizz? This was sold to investors the same way it was sold to us, as a complex 200 IQ economics and politics simulator, a worthy successor to the older complex 200 IQ economics and politics simulator, but even more complex!
In which case it literally doesn't matter what the investors think, as Paradox will do whatever it wants regardless.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
They managed to create a fairly complex economy system and then designed everything in such a way as to make the economy meaningless.

It's not really all that complex when you look at it either. You don't even have a real way of impacting wages or prices other than basic supply and demand.

Vatnik Wumao
It's not really all that complex when you look at it either. You don't even have a real way of impacting wages or prices other than basic supply and demand.
And you don't even have concrete goods nor can you stockpile things, with commodities appearing out of thin air based on buy & sell orders. Can hardly call it a complex economic simulator with this level of abstraction.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
And you don't even have concrete goods nor can you stockpile things, with commodities appearing out of thin air based on buy & sell orders. Can hardly call it a complex economic simulator with this level of abstraction.
That one gets me the most. There's not really actual resources even in an RTS-like way.

thesecret1

Arcane
That one gets me the most. There's not really actual resources even in an RTS-like way.
What gets me the most is that you can't even stockpile fucking MONEY past a certain treshold. Because you run out of space in your bank vault or some ridiculous shit like that.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
What gets me the most is that you can't even stockpile fucking MONEY past a certain treshold. Because you run out of space in your bank vault or some ridiculous shit like that.
I don't believe this. You made this up. You can't fool me troll! No one would make a mechanic that dumb. Not even Paradox.

thesecret1

Arcane
I don't believe this. You made this up. You can't fool me troll! No one would make a mechanic that dumb. Not even Paradox.
19736671.jpg

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
19736671.jpg
Yeah I looked it up. Income starts to dimishing in effect over a certain reserve level.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom