Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vintage Story - Minecraft clone but focused on survival.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I'm going to wait a few years before new updates accumulate. Very based game, however. I am looking forward to proper oceans the most. The creator even contemplates adding the ability to build your own sailable ships, if it's gonna be technically possible.
Same. We have run out of things to do on our server except build new stuff, which we are kinda loathe to do until they add more balance changes like spawn rates and AI tweaks, as currently bears make playing unbearably (pun intended) annoying at times. The game's foundation is solid, just that it still has a long way to go.

Drakortha

Liturgist
I played a few hours of this. It honestly reminds me of the early days of Minecraft Survival when Notch actually gave a shit and even had a roadmap of the direction he wanted to go with it. Then the game blew up in popularity and it went completely off the rails.

But similar to what someone else said they're going to do, I'm going to wait a few years before I commit any serious time into it. There are very few games worth my time these days but if the devs here can stay the course I think they're onto something pretty awesome if you ask me.

Minecraft is over for me. After 10+ years operating a RP server I was sick of Mojangs/Micro$ofts subversive bullshit. Forcing everyone to migrate all their Mojang accounts into Microsoft accounts was the final nail in the coffin. The whole launcher and account verification thing killed my motivation to even to try play anymore. Meanwhile, independent and privately run servers are basically dead thanks to Microsoft poaching every potential new player with their "Realms" shit. No New Players = Dead server not worth the time.

Not that I have any interest in running a server with Vintage Story. But the game by itself might be familiar yet fresh enough to make someone who is jaded by Minecraft after all these years take a look at it.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
I played a few hours of this. It honestly reminds me of the early days of Minecraft Survival when Notch actually gave a shit and even had a roadmap of the direction he wanted to go with it. Then the game blew up in popularity and it went completely off the rails.

It does. And game managed to create certain kind of charm of its own too.

Hamster Godoy

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
hwSkQJH.png

Also full brigandine set flex
MQbN6xB.png

udm

Arcane
Patron
Looks like the next major update will focus on new modes of travel and a new mob:
image.thumb.png.f9008f04d69a5db54e0d480a12587e53.png

Wish they'd improve bear and wolf spawns first, but still pretty cool teaser.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I bought this a while ago, but still have yet to play it. It looks pretty damned awesome, especially with the ability to create machines. About the only thing that bothers me about it is that it doesn't do "real water".

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
What do you mean by "real water"?
Vintage Story does water like Minecraft, with source blocks that water will attempt to expand out horizontally from a certain number of other blocks. It would be nice if it handled water like, say, Dwarf Fortress.

The problem with the source block method is that it's nearly impossible to use water as a mechanical system with that method without breaking someone or creating more exploitable things than source block water already has.

What do you mean by "real water"?
Vintage Story does water like Minecraft, with source blocks that water will attempt to expand out horizontally from a certain number of other blocks. It would be nice if it handled water like, say, Dwarf Fortress.

The problem with the source block method is that it's nearly impossible to use water as a mechanical system with that method without breaking someone or creating more exploitable things than source block water already has.
That never bothered me as I never knew anything else other than Minecraft water. Now, I will be forever tormented by this information.

On another note, they already laid out the technical foundations for the ability to build sailable ships in the future, which I am hyped for (and for oceans in general). I can imagine playing this game 15 years from now with my kids, it's really something.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
they already laid out the technical foundations for the ability to build sailable ships in the future, which I am hyped for (and for oceans in general)
That would definitely be awesome. Being able to construct your own ship would be a really interesting addition to this type of game.
That never bothered me as I never knew anything else other than Minecraft water. Now, I will be forever tormented by this information.
The crazy amount of things that's possible in Dwarf Fortress has always spoiled me on Minecraft-like games. I was pretty disheartened when I discovered that pumps and such would never be a thing.

I found one of those mountains in Minecraft once that looked like a deity took a gigantic ice cream scoop to it, and it was hollow in the middle. So, I spent days filling in all the gigantic ice cream scoop looking holes with glass, which also had periodic tubes in them. I filled all the tubes with lava to provide constant light inside my mountain dome. That would have been a lot easier if I could just pump that stuff instead of hauling hundreds of buckets of lava.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Also, water doesn't "disappear" when you use a bucket to pick it up. I take it as a good sign to indicate that maybe water physics are low on Tyron's priorities for now but might change in future, since the last few updates continue to be aligned with more realistic features. Of course, that could just be the copium speaking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom