Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Volourn's Jade Empire Chapter 1 Impressions aka Fanboy Alert

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
WARNING!!! WARNING!!! WARNING!!!

If you hate fanboys either bitch about it or shut up. Your choice. Either way your whining won't sway me. Without further ado, here goes:

Just finished chapter 1 after about 3 and a half hours. here are my thoughts.

Graphics/Music/Voice Overs: Not to say much here; but it's awesome. No voice is annoying, the music is beautiful, and the graphics are usually awe inspiring. At worst they are no worse than KOTOR's. The music simply fits. My biggest beef here is that I think the made up lanaguage is superficial at best. While the VO is well done; it just sounds like gibberish to me so I simply read the text and skip over it. That pales to the other dialogue where I actually listen. In fact, in this way, it hurts the immersion not help it. Just an opinion there.

Role-playing/Story: Can't say much here; but the role-playing is good. No worse than KOTOR, aagin. I'm intirgue by the stoiry though I must say the story here eerily reminds me of another BIO - though it *is* different and should be treated as such. Situations in the game are nice. I love the husband + wife+ ox sitiuation. Nothing else to be said for fear of spoilin' too much.

Character Creation/Development: First off, if anyone says this is shallow they better go play other RPGs to see what's real shallow. First off, you have three stats (yeah, nothing compared to games with 80k stats). However, these stats are so important and lead to your character being varied. They effect combat, they effect dialogue, they even styles. Heck, let me put it this way, I was gonna focus on Spirit; but then by the end of the chapter I realized that would handicap my playstyle.

Levelling up is not basic either as you have points to spend on both primary stats AND yoru styles. And, it's obvious you won't be even able to come close to master everything...

And, oh, one last thing. One does not have a choice of 6 character types. You have a choice of many character types. You have a chocie of 6 models (or 7 with the LE which i have but didn't upload..). Sweet.

Loot, Inventory, & Collection Industry: People whine about the lack of an inventory and how there'd be nothing to spend their cash on; but this silly. The varies gems you cna buy and find give each character a neat out look. For the record, I've focused on gems tht boost charm.Techniques thata re found or bought also add to characetr avriety. And, though we only had a chocie of a sword or staff style so far the fact you'll be able to buy new weapons to repelace them in the future is good news. There's enough management here to have fun with and not with the silly KOTOR way. While I personally prefer a NWN/BG style of inventory this sure beats KOTOR's inventory and is fun in its own right.

Combat & Controls: WOW! WOW! WOW! Best RT combat I have ever seen. On top of this it absolutely CRUSHES KOTOR, Crushes. It's fun; it's pretty intuitive and that's from someone who before tonight has played maybe 3 hours of x-box, and that was in a NHL 2004 torunament at my EB two years ago.

This is *not* a button smasher. If you just smash buttons you *will* die. Uumping, dodging, blocking, using chi, and switching styles are all important ehre. i'm still not the mosta dept of switching styles on the fly; but I'll learn. Heck, chi is VERY important. Some battles simply werne't tocuhable without it. And, chi heal is also neccesary. I love the fact that your health, chi, and focus don't simply regenerate. It makes it that you simply can't your super attacks for the heck attack. Use wisely. This is a 10+ button combat system; but it's so intuitive you hardly can tell as comes naturally.

Even battles where I won the first try were very, very close which occured most times. 2 battles killed me like 5+ times each alreadt. One was where I had to fight 6 enemies at once solo and they were literlally kicking my butt. In order to (eventually); I had to use a magic style and my kung fu style, use focus, use chi heal, dodge a lot, switch targets, and gobble up what 'power ups' they dropped. WOWSERS!

I'm gonna do some semi spoilers; but I think this will be alright since it's about 2 types of enemies that have been discussed a lot pre release.

1. Ogres. All I gots to say is OWWWWWWWWWWWW! Now, first off, they are slow movers; but when they hit they take off basiclaly all your health. I fought two at once and they basically wiped out my follower right awya (they actually hit him both at the same time with their power attack which they love), and one hit me there. Luckily I wa sable to dodge bakc and forth while healing to eventually finish them off. I didn't die against them; but I should've. Got real lucky there.

2. Toad demon. Holy moly! This guy is tough. He's Mister Stretch for sure. I died 5 times against him before winning with just some massive chi strikes, focus, and heal and help from my follower. Owwwwwwww!

Good stuff.

Overall, combat is just plain awesome. Though; it would be fair if your allies and you can hurt eahc other like the enmies can hurt each other. 'Tis unfair; but I can understand why you didn't go that wya. Should add for JE2, I think. I have one other big beef with combat; but I'll explain below. Remember, combat is awesome here.

Dragonfly Minigame: This is fun; but a tad easy so far; but I've only played it twice so far. Not really role-playingy; but fun nontheless and since you cna avoid if you choose after the first one no one should really complain about it all that much.

Major Problems: 1. Load Times - I find them very slow. I find myself playing tiddlywinks when it's loading. that said, areas are pretty pig in size espicially when comapred to KOTOR most of the time so they are rather infrequent. Still; too slow for my tastes.

2. Combat escape Blockage - This sucks for two reasons. first off, I think the PC should be allowed to escape most battle sif he so chooses. Being artificlaly forced to fight to the death is silly. Secondly, it hurts my strategy. I like to dodge and jumpa round a lot as standing still just leads to death yet soemtimes if I dodge too much in oen direction I get stuck on this 'invisible wall' and the enmies just wacka mole on me. This cna be really bad with fighting 4+ oppoents. One on one it's not an issue.

Overall: Quite frankly, this game is awesome. It's better than the OC, SOU, KOTOR, and even HOTU. It *might* even land up being better than BG1 if the story holds up. I doubt BG2 though simply because of the length of it and the inability to run from combat really does annoy me.

Still, an absolutely awesome game. Call me a fanboy all you want; but if saying this game DESTROYS KOTOR makes me a fanboy so be it.

Good suff.

Ask any questions you want.. if you dare..

Stark

Liturgist
well, can't comment much since i don't have the game, but the official review over at Gamespot was much harsher. The combat was said to be repetitive and shallow, the character development too simplistic, etc.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
So far, what you've said about the game impresses me a great deal, Volourn. I can only hope that it is ported to the computer because I'm not about to spend a few hundred dollars on a soon-to-be obsolete console system.

MarFish

Liturgist
Stark said:
well, can't comment much since i don't have the game, but the official review over at Gamespot was much harsher. The combat was said to be repetitive and shallow, the character development too simplistic, etc.

And the official reviewers from about 14 other magazines said things were more along the lines of Vol here. So what? Looks like reviews are subjective and there is no truth out there you can compress down to a simple score.

I will find out soon enough, will rent game and box and give it a try, Vol's opinion is all that was needed to push me over the edge. Wish I could afford the 200$ needed to get both at the moment, but vacation planning is prohibitive.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Don't forget that before you go away thinking the game is perfect; just remember that I did mention some negatives about the game..... It's not all Sunshine... Sunshines.. :lol:

Exitium, that's why I paid 80$ for the x-box and 0$ for the game. The person I was borrowing it from was gonna get rid of it through a trad ein so I offered to buy... And, I simply traded in 3 of my older PS2 games that i never play anyways for JE sicne EB had a deal going that ended today...

If I hadn't called them today and found out I probably wouldn't have had the game 'til next week at the earliest and may not bothered to buy the x-box at all.. LOL

As for GS, their so called 'harsh' review was 84%. I'd rate this game at the moment 85%-90%. Then again, unlike GS games really have to earn those scores... Besides, I know at least some of the things GS wrote in their review is just plain untrue. But, meh. It's just an opinion.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Re: Volourn's Jade Empire Chapter 1 Impressions aka Fanboy A

Volourn said:
I love the husband + wife+ ox sitiuation.
What the?
Three-way animal pr0n? I knew it!

Edit: didn't mention some of the negatives? Well, why don't you? Give us some balance (just a leeeetle) please...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Oops.. I did mention some of the negatives, I meant.

As for the scneario I told ya about. Play the game. You'll know what i mind. It's a very small side quest and ultimately unimportnat; but still hilarious.

Deathboy

Liturgist

Shagnak said:
Volourn said:
I love the husband + wife+ ox sitiuation.
What the?
Three-way animal pr0n? I knew it!

Edit: didn't mention some of the negatives? Well, why don't you? Give us some balance (just a leeeetle) please...
Typical bioware homos, won't allow kids in the orgy :(

Stark

Liturgist
MarFish said:
And the official reviewers from about 14 other magazines said things were more along the lines of Vol here. So what? Looks like reviews are subjective and

thanks, Mr Detective. thanks for enlightening me that reviews are subjective. and we all know we should trust 14 other magazines in addition to Vol's review since for some reason unknown to me, majority wins.

MarFish said:
there is no truth out there you can compress down to a simple score.

well, i didn't speak of the score given in GS. i was speaking of the failings specifically mentioned in GS. The simplistic combat was trashed there.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"The simplistic combat was trashed there."

You mena the combat they *claim* to be simplistic. Anyone who ha splayed the game would know that their little 'surefire strategy' is a guarnated failure in more than a few battles.

Surlent

Liturgist

Volourn said:
Character Creation/Development: First off, if anyone says this is shallow they better go play other RPGs to see what's real shallow. First off, you have three stats (yeah, nothing compared to games with 80k stats). However, these stats are so important and lead to your character being varied. They effect combat, they effect dialogue, they even styles. Heck, let me put it this way, I was gonna focus on Spirit; but then by the end of the chapter I realized that would handicap my playstyle.
Sounds like they could have just done three separate classes ?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Sounds like they could have just done three separate classes ?'

What would these three classes be? All three stats are important and have good cross over appeal for however you wanna play your character. Remember, like other BIO games, much of the combat is not avoidbale so you will need to fight.

DemonKing

Arcane
Volo - once again I like to remind you about your habit of spamming virtually the same post on multiple message boards - I just read this over at the Obsidian forums (ok I don't really care but you always come down on me hard if I do it so :P).

On to the review, If it gets released on PC I'll probably give it a whirl, but as Extium says, a few hundred dollars for a soon to be obsolete console is not in my plans right now - I far prefer shelling out a few hundred dollars for soon to be obsolete video cards!

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Who cares about what GameSpot thinks. They're the same people who sang high praises in their review of NWN and panned it in their subsequent review of HOTU.

MarFish

Liturgist
Exitium said:
Who cares about what GameSpot thinks. They're the same people who sang high praises in their review of NWN and panned it in their subsequent review of HOTU.

Maybe Greg K. was still angry?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
At least the few hundred dollars you spend on video cards will allow you to play next generation games like Oblivion and all the Unreal Engine 3 games at a good performance, whereas an XBOX will get you Jade Empire and a whole lot of nothing else.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Volo - once again I like to remind you about your habit of spamming virtually the same post on multiple message boards - I just read this over at the Obsidian forums (ok I don't really care but you always come down on me hard if I do it so ). "

LOL Yous till won't forget my hypocisy! :lol: And, oh btw, it's also on the BIo forums. just be glad I didn't push it on the Mistress Lair forums.. But, they're not as interesting any more to me...

More importantly, theere's the fact that GS is making things up about JE. JE is many things; but a one button game is not one of them.

Ex, that's why you get x-box for $80 and game for $0. :cool:

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I'm not sure if I even want to spend that much on an XBOX. Besides Jade Empire there's nothing on the system I find even remotely interesting and that which I do is also coming out on the PC (Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows). For 80 I could get a new hard drive or another copy of Guild Wars for my friend to play with.

Deathboy

Liturgist
MarFish said:
How the fuck did you get the game for free?
Volourn said:
Exitium, that's why I paid 80$ for the x-box and 0$ for the game. The person I was borrowing it from was gonna get rid of it through a trad ein so I offered to buy... And, I simply traded in 3 of my older PS2 games that i never play anyways for JE sicne EB had a deal going that ended today...
Reading can be a good thing

dipdipdip

Liturgist
Aside from the first chapter, which to me felt like Bioware was just going through the motions, I have to say, I so far have come to absolutely love -- that's right: love -- this game.

Stark

Liturgist
MarFish said:
Thanks for letting me enlight your puny little existance.

yes yes. your dick is bigger. Now that we established that, lets focus on the points I raised instead?

Exitium said:

they gave pretty spot on review for Fable, while most other "professional" sites were too caught up in the hype to think for themselves. check out GS reviews for some other major games. they tend to be more critical and less susceptible to hype.

at this point we're guaranteed most "professional" reviews would give crazy scores to JE by Bioware. reading an alternative view wouldn't hurt.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Stark said:
they gave pretty spot on review for Fable, while most other "professional" sites were too caught up in the hype to think for themselves. check out GS reviews for some other major games. they tend to be more critical and less susceptible to hype.

at this point we're guaranteed most "professional" reviews would give crazy scores to JE by Bioware. reading an alternative view wouldn't hurt.
And yet anyone looking at scores needn't look further than the 8.6 they awarded Fable for all its mediocrity if they didn't bother to read the article itself. Am I to understand that Fable is a better game than Jade Empire based on the GameSpot scores alone?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom