Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wanted: Codex Website Re-design

Okay, so how about now?

• I like the new design / I'll get used to it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like the new design but suggest the following changes...

• No really, bring back the old design ( http://rpgcodex.net/index_orig.php )

• Both designs suck - I want something else

• I don't care / We have a front page?

• Total voters

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Can you do it? Because I can't. Given I'm responsible for the current horror, we're looking for someone with |33+ graffix skillz who can re-design the front-page.

If you've got the talent, just go ahead and make something that you reckon looks good when you've got some spare time. You can PM it to me or post a screenshot in this thread. In return, we'll really appreciate you¹. A lot. At least baby arm will.

We're not going to set any visual requirements. Just that it should have the content that's currently on the page and it should look good. Oh, except that it has to fit 1024 x 768 resolution too.

Alternatively, if you don't have any talent, feel free to offer suggestions on what you'd like to see so someone else who cares can have some inspiration or something.

¹We may be able to score you a free game of something but no guarantees.

PennyAnte

Liturgist
I like the forum look too - it is efficient and elegant. My bookmark is right to the forum index, and I look at the news as forum posts. I almost never see the front page.

It always strikes me as out of character (with the forums) when I see it. I agree it should get an overhaul, but it should mirror the aesthetic of the forums. Or perhaps just get rid of the front page entirely and strip down to the forums, with no separate home page at all, perhaps as in interim step.

Or, make the color scheme the same and have it be a more tightly designed overview of what's in the forums.

I'm glad the forum look hasn't really changed in the four years I've been registered. It definitely has stood the test of time.

Jason

chasing a bee
To echo what Wyrmlord said earlier:
The login link, search button, and advertisement occupy the top center of the screen. Admittedly, it does not take much effort to scroll down to the area with the actual article, but having to do it constantly while perusing several articles is annoying. Besides, when I link a particular article to this site, people don't realize that they have to scroll down to see the actual article, and instantly assume they have to register to see it.
That's too much scrolling to get to the actual business at hand. It doesn't matter to most regulars, but new visitors see a wall of not much going on when they first hit the frontpage or articles. Taluntain's glib answer of "Ha ha, your friends don't know how to use the internet" was bullshit.

ixg

Erudite
You could try organizing it a bit more like this

homepagelayoutvg2.jpg

Ausir

Arcane
The forum skin is actually the original RPG Codex design by Rex Exitium that used to be on the front page too, noobs.

Although yeah, why don't we just put Rex's old design back?

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
... because Rex's old cookie cutter design sucked too?

Ausir

Arcane
Even if it did, it still sucked less than the current one, so going back would be an improvement.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
This is an opportunity for improvement. Given I have to re-design the entire site anyway for a code upgrade, I'd rather just do it once. If I'm spending the effort on that, I'd rather get something that's actually good, rather than something that simply "sucks less".

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I'd love to see a new re-skin of this site. Perhaps something like old soviet propaganda type skin?

Murk

Arcane
Question: Is it possible to implement something that auto-embeds pictures in an in-post window with scroll bar so that images do not stretch out the entire page?

Currently this forum has my favourite layout of any bb i use, and the quick reply box is definitely my favourite. the colors are slick but easy on the eyes.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Better yet, bring Rex back for redisigning the site then kick him again! R00fles!

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
The forum colors would fit great with the front page, I think this is the only site I visit that doesn't fuck with my eyes at night.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Perhaps St.toxic could do it, he helped made one of those themes for DAC which looked pretty good.

Rex can lease you one of his designs for a monthly fee.

hiver

i dont have any skillz so i will suggest something totally insane.
Or not.

Most important thing would be to have your reviews stand out - a lot.
I think this is the best codex has to offer to "general audience and visitors".

I dont like the idea of IXG. It looks too much like some other sites.

I would rather see a front page divided into most important sections that are links to content of each.

How big they need to be Im not sure.
The whole normal size of the from page can be divided into equal areas which can still display latest news or you can have smaller "icons/sections" like a strip across the middle of the page. Or on top with big codex logo below in the middle.

You wouldn't need to scroll down the front page. It would be simple and efficient.

Shitposter
just have 4 things -

Reviews - Forums - News - Contact Us

below it should be the latest news

have the colors the same as the forum, same design

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
baby arm said:
To echo what Wyrmlord said earlier:
The login link, search button, and advertisement occupy the top center of the screen. Admittedly, it does not take much effort to scroll down to the area with the actual article, but having to do it constantly while perusing several articles is annoying. Besides, when I link a particular article to this site, people don't realize that they have to scroll down to see the actual article, and instantly assume they have to register to see it.
That's too much scrolling to get to the actual business at hand. It doesn't matter to most regulars, but new visitors see a wall of not much going on when they first hit the frontpage or articles. Taluntain's glib answer of "Ha ha, your friends don't know how to use the internet" was bullshit.
There was a bit more to it than that. The fact that I agree that it could be done better, for one.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The Codex is more than just forums? Since when?

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Got bored, did a rough sketch.
Image1-1.jpg

The kerning, line spacing and size of the text needs adjusting, and I'm not sure it works as all white (though I'm at a loss for a secondary colour).

Not sure about the news section, needs a little work.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Keeps the plebs out.
(it's not proper Latin, btw)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom