Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wanted: Codex Website Re-design

Okay, so how about now?

• I like the new design / I'll get used to it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like the new design but suggest the following changes...

• No really, bring back the old design ( http://rpgcodex.net/index_orig.php )

• Both designs suck - I want something else

• I don't care / We have a front page?

• Total voters

Monolith

Prophet
Looks like a blog. Would be quite fitting if we weren't a prestigious magazine.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Bluebottle said:
Got bored, did a rough sketch.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb13 ... age1-1.jpg

The kerning, line spacing and size of the text needs adjusting, and I'm not sure it works as all white (though I'm at a loss for a secondary colour).

Not sure about the news section, needs a little work.
Dunno. Doesn't really grab me. Also it's missing the ads. We need to have the ads.

aboyd

Liturgist

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
DarkUnderlord said:
Dunno. Doesn't really grab me. Also it's missing the ads. We need to have the ads.

Looks like a blog. Would be quite fitting if we weren't a prestigious magazine.

I've noticed that most magazine sites (IGN, CVG, Eurogamer) have a really messy style, visually, especially with the placment of text. The adverts and pictures are necessary (reading hard), but I've never really found a decent reason for all the text to look so haphazardly placed, except that that's the way all the other sites do it. On the other hand blogs do tend to be relatively functionally and cleanly designed and easy to use for the random passer by. I was trying to do something that had the clean functional layout of a blog, but the content of a magazine. Needs to edge more to the magazine side, I think, without losing the clean look.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
MarkII. aka "Pictures? In my Codex?!"

Image2.jpg

Monolith

Prophet
Looks much better but I doubt it's all that functional now. The right column isn't broad enough. Just imagine DU going on a quoting spree, sometimes half the screen isn't enough, let alone one third. I'd make the picture smaller. Along with narrowing down the left column it might work. All in all I like the direction.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
A minor tweak, to give more space for spasmodic quote attacks.
Image3.jpg

Awesome. Go for this one.

Remeber, this is just a design outline. I've not the experience with PHP to say how difficult it would be for DU to put something along these lines together. There's also other factors to consider, like whether there really wants to be such an increased focus on editorials, when they are only posted rarely (the 2007 year review is genuinely the most recent one).

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Ya it doesn't look good at all. I don't want to have to scroll on multiple little screen shits. Just change the color of the site or something.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
  1. Fails resolution test (has to fit 1024 x 768 resolution too).
  2. Stupid scroll boxes are not happening on any website I'm involved with ever (except when it's necessary because your javascript thingy needs to drag and drop stuff and you can't drag and go up at the same time but you can scroll a div with the overflow setting and drag from there which helped me work around that problem thankfully).
  3. Ad-wise we have the banner and the square ad.
  4. Yeah, we're not doing the image thing. That requires someone to actually make said images and if I could make images, I wouldn't be asking for a graphic site re-design.
  5. I assume people are happy with the colours though?

Andhaira

Arcane
Codexia does desperately needa redesign.

In my opinion a new codexia would havea number of sexy features:

-Ability to turn OFF images in an entire thread when viewing it (a lot of memebers post shitty images for no reason than to slow other peoples internet usage. I mean I use dialup from Pakistan toconnect to a USA server. Its pretty slow you know...but my devotion to Codexia keeps me coming)

-Online multiplayer games like Chess for the academic condexian. Also would give codexians a chance to game together.

-Less use of the banhammer. More use of 'incentives' aka carrotswticks to encourage productive behavior. (perks, custom titles, avatars, etc)

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Mikayel said:
Question: Is it possible to implement something that auto-embeds pictures in an in-post window with scroll bar so that images do not stretch out the entire page?

I'll second that. Very annoying.

As for the front page, I don't see any problems with it. I like the color scheme. It seems like it should be lighter than the forums. Easier on the eyes and all that.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Ok FINE nobody listen to poor Dicksmoker.

I don't know if I can get used to this.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
New Codexia homepage is absolute fuckin' shit - espicially with the ever spamming non stop pop up that goes through popup blockers. R00fles!

SlyDrak

Scholar
--

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom