Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Battlesector - Space Marines vs Tyranids turn-based strategy

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.slitherine.com/game/warhammer-40000-battlesector

https://af.gog.com/game/warhammer_40000_battlesector?as=1649904300

https://www.pcgamer.com/uphold-the-...gels-in-this-new-warhammer-40k-strategy-game/

Uphold the glory of the Blood Angels in this new Warhammer 40K strategy game
Warhammer 40,000: Battlesector, from the makers of Battlestar Galactica Deadlock, is coming in May.

In late 2019, we suggested that Star Wars could stand to take a lesson from Warhammer. Specifically, that instead of tying itself to a single big publisher, Disney should give the license to make a Star Wars game to anyone who asks nicely.

"A new Warhammer game is never far away," Fraser wrote. "Across every platform, the grimdark and fantasy battlefields of Warhammer and Warhammer 40K have been recreated time and time again."

And in May, it will happen yet again. Slitherine announced today that Black Lab Games, developer of the very good Battlestar Galactica Deadlock, is working on Warhammer 40,000: Battlesector, a new turn-based strategy game in which you'll help Sergeant Carleon and his allies purge the Tyranid infestation on Baal Secundus in the aftermath of the Devastation of Baal.

(For those who don't keep up with such things, the Devastation of Baal was the attack on the homeworld of the Blood Angels Chapter of the Space Marines by largest concentration of the Tyranid Hive Fleet Leviathan ever encountered by humanity. You can read all about it on the Warhammer 40K Wiki. It is very Warhammer.)

Battlesector will include a singleplayer campaign composed of 20 missions detailing the actions of the Blood Angels (technically the 8th Company of the new Primaris Space Marines, brought to Ball Secundus by Roboute Guilliman's Indomitus Crusade—you can read all about that here, and again, strap yourself in because it is full-scale grimdark) as they battle the Tyranids of Hive Fleet Leviathan. Slaughtering the enemy is obviously a central goal, but you'll also have the opportunity to earn bonus battlefield rewards and resources by taking on other objectives such as activating comms relays, protecting friendly units, and collecting sacred items.

Units under your command will have special abilities, access to multiple loadouts, and detailed stats that will confer specific strengths and weaknesses in battle, and they'll carry over from one mission to the next—if they survive, that is—enabling them to be upgraded with new loadouts and abilities. Along with the campaign, Battlesector will also support skirmish missions and live, asynchronous, and hot-seat multiplayer which will let players take control of the Tyranid forces, who have an extensive roster of unit types and special abilities of their own.

The announcement trailer embedded above doesn't say anything about how the game will actually play, but publisher Slitherine will be showing off more of Warhammer 40,000: Battlesector during a livestream set to take place later today, February 9, on Twitch at 5 pm GMT/12 pm ET/9 am PT. We've also got a handful of screens that you can check out below.

SLACFR7TxASjjtCTHPmebU-970-80.jpg.webp
UdhBAxCCyWGMDcPCwtApvU-970-80.jpg.webp
i8MsGUBcTPKmECmZkSguFV-970-80.jpg.webp
Xuuv6gygps4GzYUwLmNMaV-970-80.jpg.webp
NofmwbWdgFdKyWepo7L7uV-970-80.jpg.webp
sz7MQgMb3HoMYP4w2eW7GW-970-80.jpg.webp
k9jvm77V4UebiyjBrW3ibW-970-80.jpg.webp
HQsrfMX9HPiKESpiVvABwW-970-80.jpg.webp
3bMZfLTrj7ia57UE6YA5JX-970-80.jpg.webp
C5yrqj46RxRNH5cJdooGeX-970-80.jpg.webp

Last edited by a moderator:
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Definitely looks like Sanctus Reach 2 with Nids as the main enemy instead of Orks. Its cool that there are going to be Primaris Marines in this, I guess this will be the first game set in the current 40K timeline.

I am a massive Hammerfag (and when I say massive what I mean is that if you carved "40K" into a turd, I would probably buy it from you for 20 bucks) so I will likely get this when it comes out.

Honestly though, I would much prefer if somebody finally did the spiritual successor/rip off of Chaos Gate.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Why space marines WHY? Why can't we have a nice game about Tyranids? Or Tau. Well nobody likes Tau, but what about Okz, fungi live... flowers, haeavy explosives. Well they were based on US black bad habits thus probably qutie a bit politically incorrect. But what about Eldars? Psychopats who can't afford to lose any soldier because they would recover 5 years from that massive loss. Probably not that intereting. But what about Necrons? Someone robbed theirs tomb and then went on rampage to get back what was stolen. That would probably work better on WH Fantasy. But we still have other species around like chaos dwarfs.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Why space marines WHY? Why can't we have a nice game about Tyranids? Or Tau. Well nobody likes Tau, but what about Okz, fungi live... flowers, haeavy explosives. Well they were based on US black bad habits thus probably qutie a bit politically incorrect. But what about Eldars? Psychopats who can't afford to lose any soldier because they would recover 5 years from that massive loss. Probably not that intereting. But what about Necrons? Someone robbed theirs tomb and then went on rampage to get back what was stolen. That would probably work better on WH Fantasy. But we still have other species around like chaos dwarfs.
Rites of War is a game that exists. But yeah, I agree. Space marines are boring.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have just watched part of their reveal stream
It is the team behind BattleStar Galactica.
There will be units carryover in the campaign, but it will be linear, so no Final Liberation here.
They hinted at large customization possibilities for units.

Glory to Ukraine

That´s because there is a surprising amount of tards that believe that Space Marines = W40K. If you look at the Steam forums of Darktide (the coming Vermintide rip off in 40K setting featuring Imperial Guard), there are multiple threads with hundreds of posts along the lines of “WTF Y NO SPESH MUHREENS???” I wouldn’t be surprised if the game got at least an IG DLC like the Sanctus Reach did, if it does well enough. But at the same time its not that surprising that GW plays it safe and goes for Space Marines first, since that is what the average plebs demand. Makes me appreciate Armageddon even more with its IG first approach.

Well, predictably simplistic but serviceable, unfortunately that is about as much as one can expect from a W40K release nowadays. Too bad the video didn’t show the in-between mission stuff were you get to upgrade your squads. I hope this is going to be deeper than Sanctus (where it barely existed IIRC), preferably gear upgrades along with skills.

Anyway, TLDR from the vid:

- PC release in May, console release in July (short release window because they didnt want to announce without having something to show), game is basicaly done, they want to tweak stuff in response to beta testing

- game is supposed to be an evolution of Sanctus Reach

- campaign to be "completely linear" because the devs want to tell a "cool story" with "interesting characters" (yeah... sure)

- story focuses on the tension between the "old school" Blood Angels and the newly arriving Primaris Marines, main character being a sergeant who used to be in charge of recruiting initiates on Baal (this is actually quite interesting set up, since the Primaris Marine situation is kinda similar to what happened during the Great Crusade when the Primarchs started to bring natives from their adoptive homeworlds into the legions that at that point had Terran cultures and Terran recruits only, cool stuff from the lore stand point, though I don’t expect much from it in-game)

- multiple environments including "underground lairs" (ie. the interior maps which should rule out the use of units such as flyers)

- Slitherine wants to use the game to "open a new franchise," has lots of "cool ideas" if it does well

Beowulf

Arcane
That´s because there is a surprising amount of tards that believe that Space Marines = W40K. If you look at the Steam forums of Darktide (the coming Vermintide rip off in 40K setting featuring Imperial Guard), there are multiple threads with hundreds of posts along the lines of “WTF Y NO SPESH MUHREENS???” I wouldn’t be surprised if the game got at least an IG DLC like the Sanctus Reach did, if it does well enough. But at the same time its not that surprising that GW plays it safe and goes for Space Marines first, since that is what the average plebs demand. Makes me appreciate Armageddon even more with its IG first approach.

Well, predictably simplistic but serviceable, unfortunately that is about as much as one can expect from a W40K release nowadays. Too bad the video didn’t show the in-between mission stuff were you get to upgrade your squads. I hope this is going to be deeper than Sanctus (where it barely existed IIRC), preferably gear upgrades along with skills.

Anyway, TLDR from the vid:

- PC release in May, console release in July (short release window because they didnt want to announce without having something to show), game is basicaly done, they want to tweak stuff in response to beta testing

- game is supposed to be an evolution of Sanctus Reach

- campaign to be "completely linear" because the devs want to tell a "cool story" with "interesting characters" (yeah... sure)

- story focuses on the tension between the "old school" Blood Angels and the newly arriving Primaris Marines, main character being a sergeant who used to be in charge of recruiting initiates on Baal (this is actually quite interesting set up, since the Primaris Marine situation is kinda similar to what happened during the Great Crusade when the Primarchs started to bring natives from their adoptive homeworlds into the legions that at that point had Terran cultures and Terran recruits only, cool stuff from the lore stand point, though I don’t expect much from it in-game)

- multiple environments including "underground lairs" (ie. the interior maps which should rule out the use of units such as flyers)

- Slitherine wants to use the game to "open a new franchise," has lots of "cool ideas" if it does well

So, DLC factions milking confirmed.
Yeah, the gameplay (from what they've shown so far) is very simplistic, looks like mobile tier +, but that might not be too bad if you you're not expecting anything more than beer & pretzels turn based tactics game.

Glory to Ukraine
The problem with openxcom 40k is that it is quite unstable, at least for me it randomly crashes (for example during the intercepts of some Ork vehicles, I only play as IG, dunno if it happens to Space Muhreens too) a whole lot. I would certainly play it more if it worked as well as the X-COM Files does.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
I played it a lot recently and it only rarely crashed or froze, and mostly when I left it in the background for a long time and tried to resume the game. Had the same with piratez so it's just some base game bug.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
the only decent warhammer game siltherine made was armaggedon despite its obvious faults.
I am playing Gladius - Relics of war. It is not outstanding but it is fun. They really could have had a masterpiece with a better analysis of what makes Civilization GREAT (more terraforming, better worldbuilding, naval, more diplomacy which means "time of peace" ; the later granted is difficult in-universe).

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
the only decent warhammer game siltherine made was armaggedon despite its obvious faults.
I am playing Gladius - Relics of war. It is not outstanding but it is fun. They really could have had a masterpiece with a better analysis of what makes Civilization GREAT (more terraforming, better worldbuilding, naval, more diplomacy which means "time of peace" ; the later granted is difficult in-universe).
I tried really hard to like Gladius, but most letsplays that I saw left me with the feeling that it’s a very tedious turn based whack-a-mole with some optional build-a-base mechanics. Same goes for actually any of the Slitherine’s WH40K products including Armageddon unfortunately. Absence of any engaging faction, units or characters progression adds to the dullness of these games.

Gosh, looking at how cool Martyr looks and how good its sound design, I can’t help but wishing it wasn’t a shitty Diablo clone, but a Chaos Gate successor.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Gladius is pretty much WH Warlock: a game for people who think nu-civ combat is so amazing that building entire game solely around it is an amazing idea. Apparently quite a few people like that exist, but if you're someone who thinks entirety of nu-civ is dogshit then I don't think there's much to be found there.

Armageddon has the PG "build and expand your collection of tin soldiers as you take them through combat missions" factor and the first act when you're on a defense against an ork horde with a bunch of poorly trained and equipped IG is pretty fun. But it is also a very cheap game that is hilariously badly designed when it comes to "numbers game" (one of the most important factors in a PG-like imo) and injects classic PG ruleset with quasi-wh ruleset and they often collide in a "hilarious" manner.

Sanctus reach just rots on my steam account. I think I tried it once some time ago, but I don't remember a thing, so the initial impression must've been pretty bad.

This looks like slightly upgraded SR, so whatever.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Armageddon has the PG "build and expand your collection of tin soldiers as you take them through combat missions"
Dunnou, I’ve just seen a letsplay where the player got his army wiped and he immediately replaces it with like 7 newly built Leman Russes (i guess 5 units or something in each figure) and starts steamrolling the map. No tactic was involved. And I can’t see any chance for it to appear.

razvedchiki

Erudite
i tried gladius a couple of times but didnt continue playing as it lacked that w40k distinct flavour.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom