Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters releasing on May 5th, now available for preorder

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Complex Games; Frontier Developments; Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters

It took nearly four months before we got to see any gameplay from Gray Knights tactical RPG Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters after it was announced last year. That changed with September's gameplay reveal, after which publisher Frontier Foundry began to release a flood of lore compendiums and strategiums, enemy and class showcases, and two larger dev diaries with plenty of gameplay footage. Today they finally announced that the game will be launching on May 5th and is now available for preorder. Also, it's got Andy Serkis as your grand master, because why not. Here's the trailer:

Alongside this announcement, a bunch of press outlets published their impressions of a recent hands-off demonstration of Daemonhunters. There are plenty of details here as well, although most of it won't be new if you've been following along on YouTube. Here's the list:

Daemonhunters is available for preorder on Steam for $45. There are a couple of preorder-exclusive bonus items and a $55 deluxe Castellan Champion edition that includes even more.

Alpharius

Scholar
Is it just me or the artstyle is way off? With all the smooth surfaces and bright colors even nuxcom looked more grimdark.

jac8awol

Arbiter
It'll have to rely on gameplay to pull it back from the precipice of failure then, because the visuals are awful.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Welcome to the age where even pseudo-PC mobile games have what used to be AAA pricing and even AAA+ priced super pre-order editions if you aren't able to contain your excitement. Enjoy your stay.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

The "strategic layer" seems to be surprisingly large in this - you can fix/upgrade your strike cruiser (there is even a hint of ship to ship combat), there is research as well as logistics (you can request various types of support from Grey Knight HQ on Titan).

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
why cant we get a proper squad based Warhammer 40k RPG with all the races/factions (or at least most of them)

all these 40k games seem to focus on 1-3 factions at most. pure faggotry

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
why cant we get a proper squad based Warhammer 40k RPG with all the races/factions (or at least most of them)

all these 40k games seem to focus on 1-3 factions at most. pure faggotry
Games Workshop explicitly usually limits its licencing agreements to a single campaign or location. That is why the game Sanctus Reach was limited to the planet of the same name, and to the factions that fought there (including the chaos demons nobody cared about). Same for Armageddon.
If the studio is successful, or if it is a big one (Creative Assembly only), they can give a more extensive licence, but it is the exception rather than the norm.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
well that sucks but it explains it

what about dawn of war games.. arent they the "widest" wh40k games

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
DoW was an unparalleled success (especially DoWI which had huge MP scene for a while), so I guess GW happily allowed all the faction DLCs since it was guaranteed to make money (same thing with Warhammer Total War for Fantasy). In general, GW always feared that vidya will undercut the miniature sales, which is why there never was an actual adaptation of the tableto rules to a video game. I would say that they primarily see vidya as advertising for the tabletop, which is why most of the Warhammer games are cheap shovelware trash - they just want the games to provide visibility to the tabletop stuff, so it doesnt matter if the games themselves suck as long as they show off the setting.

If a game becomes a major hit like DoW or W:TW they become more supportive, but its an exception, not a rule.

Skdursh

Savant
When was the last time a 40k game out and it wasn't mediocre shovelware? Dawn of War 1 and 2 are great with mods, but when was the last time a 40k game was actually good completely on its own merits?
I know some people might say "Total War" but I'm gonna put the brakes on that one immediately by saying the modern Total War games are less "Real-Time Strategy" and more "kid smashing their toys together, but with better aesthetics".

Last edited:

Gromlintroid

Scholar
I just want a new 40K game that is as fun as the OG DoW was, but I can't see that ever happening

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom