Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - now with Void Shadows DLC

Vatnik Wumao
I've just started Void Shadows and many of the incidental bugs from the base game have been fixed. Void Shadows supposedly adds 15 hours of content, no idea how true that is.

Some weird bugs on release… too much Icon and Dog rep caused the inventory screen not to display inventory and a 10 min load from menu. Resetting character would fix it, but then if you put too many points in one stat it would CTD.

No idea wtf was going on with that.

Mei Scarlet

Novice
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Some weird bugs on release… too much Icon and Dog rep caused the inventory screen not to display inventory and a 10 min load from menu. Resetting character would fix it, but then if you put too many points in one stat it would CTD.

No idea wtf was going on with that.
Well to be fair I've played the game like 1 month after release and encountered precisely one (1) game breaking bug (that could be fixed by reloading the game). But there were a shitton of minor bugs and the whole RPG system was fucked making the game braindead easy.
I think now is the good time for a replay, don't want to wait half a year for second DLC.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
So after all dust was settled is this game any good?
I enjoyed it for what it was, although not quite as good as the Pathfinder games.

Some of the combat encounters in the DLC definitely get more challenging if you are playing at higher difficulties.

The changes/nerfs to the heroic/desperate acts were definitely needed, as it trivialized the combat difficult before the major updates/DLC.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I find the combat more bearable than the pathfinder games. It feels there's less trash combat.
There is no prebuffing and it's baked in turn based combat. There aren't hords of trash mobs either. Much better than Pathfinder imo
Some of the quests (especially side quests) still feel like you are wading through trash mobs but overall there is less such battles.

babayaga

Educated
I find the combat more bearable than the pathfinder games. It feels there's less trash combat.
There is no prebuffing and it's baked in turn based combat. There aren't hords of trash mobs either. Much better than Pathfinder imo
Some of the quests (especially side quests) still feel like you are wading through trash mobs but overall there is less such battles.
There are some weak enemies but it doesn't feel like random wolf encounter no.67.
The game did a good job at mixing it up with the planets management, side quests, main quest, space battles and exploration of the planets.
One thing that got bit boring after a while was the fighting after a warp jump. Other than that it didn't feel to me like a bother to fight the weaker enemies. They didn't feel to me like trash mobs like in Pathfinder.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I don't see why people complain about trash mobs in Pathfinder. I as a Shadowcaster can just cast Weird and that is it, the encounter ended. Mid level? Just cast sirroco and acid fog.

Honestly I found the combat in this game much more boring than both previous owncat games, fells like I'm playing 4e.

babayaga

Educated
I don't see why people complain about trash mobs in Pathfinder. I as a Shadowcaster can just cast Weird and that is it, the encounter ended. Mid level? Just cast sirroco and acid fog.

Honestly I found the combat in this game much more boring than both previous owncat games, fells like I'm playing 4e.
Just because you can get rid of the trash mobs faster doesn't change the fact that they are there.
Kingmaker would be way more replayable if it was more concise. Less but more quality. The prebuffing also trivializes the game.

TheDarkUrge

Educated
Finished the game again I'd bump my score up to a 7.5/10 from a 7 pre-patches. They added a lot of stuff that makes the mid game more interesting and roleplay choices more highlighted with green context words to let you see what reactivity is there when you might otherwise miss it. Being a heretic is awesome despite your silent companions throughout the latter end of the playthrough regarding your choices. My biggest complaint is no auto-leveling for companions. There are 40+ levels with 50+ options each time you level with 6 characters. That is a LOT of time in the menus not playing the game. And I dont think a lot of the talents make the game more interesting either. The gear is also really annoying to sort/filter.

Finished the game again I'd bump my score up to a 7.5/10 from a 7 pre-patches. They added a lot of stuff that makes the mid game more interesting and roleplay choices more highlighted with green context words to let you see what reactivity is there when you might otherwise miss it. Being a heretic is awesome despite your silent companions throughout the latter end of the playthrough regarding your choices. My biggest complaint is no auto-leveling for companions. There are 40+ levels with 50+ options each time you level with 6 characters. That is a LOT of time in the menus not playing the game. And I dont think a lot of the talents make the game more interesting either. The gear is also really annoying to sort/filter.
Can you belive this guy? He thinks time spent in menues is not playing the game. What a casual.

Harthwain

Magister
Can you belive this guy? He thinks time spent in menues is not playing the game. What a casual.
Indeed. What I loved about RPGs was precisely thinking through how to build my characters. If you think leveling up companions is a waste of time, then perhaps you shouldn't be playing RPGs in the first place.

More appropriate complaint would be that the system could be presented better (it does go much faster when you have a better idea what you're doing with what character and know the "lay of the land". Marking skills for further reference is really great in this regard).

thesecret1

Arcane
Indeed. What I loved about RPGs was precisely thinking through how to build my characters. If you think leveling up companions is a waste of time, then perhaps you shouldn't be playing RPGs in the first place.

More appropriate complaint would be that the system could be presented better (it does go much faster when you have a better idea what you're doing with what character and know the "lay of the land". Marking skills for further reference is really great in this regard).
Nah, he's right, the levelling in this game is a chore. You get like 30 skills thrown at you each time, each one with a paragraph to read, and with many of them sucking ass unless you combo them with some other skill (that's oftentimes on a different character). If you already know the skills from prior playthroughs, it's fine as you already know what to go for, but if you play for the first time, it's often a case of "oh, I levelled up? Guess it's time to spend half an hour reading through a gorillion of tooltips again..." To add insult to injury, some of the skills on offer are terrible dogshit that will never be useful in any build, and only waste your time.

Stoned Ape

Savant
I'd say the time spent in the menus was probably the best part of the base game on release.

Imagine paying "people" to "compete" finishing your game, attempting to prevent the steam charts from sinking right after your first DLC released, instead of spending that money to fix that game which begins to fall apart halfway through its main story, so more people actually buy it as a more-or-less finished product.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom