Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming August 8th

ArchAngel

Arcane
Got to Uralon fight in Act 4. Of course on turn 1 I lost 3 guys before any of my team got to act LoL.
Owlcat_Eyler I have no words for whoever designed and balanced this system..

Dayyālu

Arcane
Got to Uralon fight in Act 4. Of course on turn 1 I lost 3 guys before any of my team got to act LoL.

Uralon is not even the worst of that fight. If you play "as intended" the follow up fight.... I wonder who's exactly going to endure turns after turns of free spawn, boss invincibility and chaff. The best way to end that fight is to nuke it before he can act at all. Skip the boss, in a sense.

The Uralon fight is particularly badly designed because it puts you right in the middle of high-damage burst enemies. There's no way to avoid any of that, if you disable the left the right is gonna fuck you and vice-versa. Plus Uralon himself summons demons that get at once a free turn, and this is before any of your tanks can even try their self-buffs routines, and there's not even space to have some time.

The solution of course is to abuse the Officer system, like everything, so they melt on turn 2 after losing 75% of their numbers on turn 1, and the fight is doable then. If someone goes in "as intended"? No chance. Probably no one even tested it.

Shaki

Arbiter

Uralon is not even the worst of that fight. If you play "as intended" the follow up fight.... I wonder who's exactly going to endure turns after turns of free spawn, boss invincibility and chaff. The best way to end that fight is to nuke it before he can act at all. Skip the boss, in a sense.

The Uralon fight is particularly badly designed because it puts you right in the middle of high-damage burst enemies. There's no way to avoid any of that, if you disable the left the right is gonna fuck you and vice-versa. Plus Uralon himself summons demons that get at once a free turn, and this is before any of your tanks can even try their self-buffs routines, and there's not even space to have some time.

The solution of course is to abuse the Officer system, like everything, so they melt on turn 2 after losing 75% of their numbers on turn 1, and the fight is doable then. If someone goes in "as intended"? No chance. Probably no one even tested it.
I didn't even need to abuse officer for Uralon IIRC, 2 of my guys got oneshot before first started, then Pasqual also died later in the first turn, but Heinrix and Abelard with over9000 armor still cleared the fight ezpz.

Saduj

Arcane
I turned down the difficulty on that one. I had my best initiative rolls on the first attempt but I hadn't anticipated the free turn flanking maneuver. I feel like I had a shot with a similar turn order and meta knowledge. Reloaded a few times, each time getting much worse initiative. Not gonna survive when only one character can act before Uralon and all three chaos marines. At the point where I'm reloading hoping to get very lucky, I see turning down the difficulty as the lesser evil. Or at least the less frustrating and time wasting evil.

Whoever designed that fight is an ass.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I turned down the difficulty on that one. I had my best initiative rolls on the first attempt but I hadn't anticipated the free turn flanking maneuver. I feel like I had a shot with a similar turn order and meta knowledge. Reloaded a few times, each time getting much worse initiative. Not gonna survive when only one character can act before Uralon and all three chaos marines. At the point where I'm reloading hoping to get very lucky, I see turning down the difficulty as the lesser evil. Or at least the less frustrating and time wasting evil.

Nah, I've done rest of the game on Hard and I will do this fight as well even if it means waiting until they fix Act 4 lol or rebalance the game.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
image.png

1705264841093.png

Saduj

Arcane
Ulfar's charge ability is hilariously broken. How could anyone claim this was tested even once? For a while, I thought it just didn't work at all. On the rare occasions where he has an indisputably clear lane to an enemy, the game acts as if he's blocked. Only twice has the game allowed me to actually trigger the ability with Ulfar. These were times when Ulfar's path was clear but the enemy still had a bunch of terrain around and the attack would have been somewhat diagonal. The first time, instead of taking a direct path, he ran around the entire map, arriving on the opposite side of the enemy from where he started. That is the one and only time I've got him to actually attack using this ability.

The only other time the ability would trigger for me was during his personal quest fight in Act 5. He hightailed it back to the starting point on the map and it would have taken him ten or more turns to get back had the battle not ended before then. After all the valorous Space Wolf fluff preceding that fight, it was pretty funny to see him running away.

Even putting aside the poor build, Ulfar's basic implementation is just horrible. There are warp encounter maps where he has no path to reach enemies. Even in some of the story maps, his movement is so limited by terrain that he's basically useless. It is obvious that he wasn't given much consideration by the people who made these maps. He should be able to trample through or step over half cover. If his size is going to be 100% disadvantage (which is silly), then his unique abilities should be so good that they make up for it. But his unique abilities are lower tier. Then on top of all that they just randomly assigned his archetype abilities.

Fixing his mobility issues is probably too much to ask but they need to fix his build and beef up his unique abilities. Maybe add in some fluff that he's got some injuries that can only fully be healed on Fenris and that's why he moves like an old lady.

Edit - His burst attack with bolter pistol is also broken. It only animates one shot and always deals just one damage number to one enemy. Opportunity attacks being with pistol instead of chainsword is also disappointing but possibly intentional....

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane

Nah, I've done rest of the game on Hard and I will do this fight as well even if it means waiting until they fix Act 4 lol or rebalance the game.
Managed to reach 2nd part on 5th attempt. The trick was to get Cassia to survive until her turn (tactically placed Ulfar and Pasqal to die so she could live).
Then she picked Argenta to be her Champion and Argenta killed 2 CSM, Kunrad and Uralon alone lol.
Zero balance, it is all about who kills who on turn 1.. Argenta finished Uralon fight on turn 2..
This is not fun or good gameplay where we load a save until we get favorable initiative and then abuse OP abilities to murder 1000+ HP characters in two attacks..
Edit: 2nd part boss has most OP ability. No way to beat it. It is called Burst of Fate and if you try to examine it, it crashed the game every time :D
Edit2: managed to do 2204 damage to boss with single Sniper/Assassin shot :D

Last edited:

Shaki

Arbiter

Managed to reach 2nd part on 5th attempt. The trick was to get Cassia to survive until her turn (tactically placed Ulfar and Pasqal to die so she could live).
Then she picked Argenta to be her Champion and Argenta killed 2 CSM, Kunrad and Uralon alone lol.
Zero balance, it is all about who kills who on turn 1.. Argenta finished Uralon fight on turn 2..
This is not fun or good gameplay where we load a save until we get favorable initiative and then abuse OP abilities to murder 1000+ HP characters in two attacks..
I mean, it's Owlcat. Whole point of their games, was always to engage in build autism and find OP combinations that will murder 1000HP characters in two attacks.

The problem with RT, is that we have 1000x less possible combinations than in Pathfinders, and it's extremely obvious which ones will be OP, even complete halfwits are able to break this game very quickly without using any guides.

Zariusz

Arbiter
In my case it was Cassia (tactician) who was left together with my assassin RT (who even if he had 95% chance to hit it with that killing edge shot, always felt like it was 40%), though by that time she was so buffed by tactical advantage and that willpower and toughness skill (it lasts whole fight and you can use it on yourself during every turn so that means you can constantly improve your most important stats through fight to some ridiculous number) that she killed them one by one per turn with that single target attack. Not to mention her ridiculously high dodge.

Also about broken characters, did anyone tried that cogitor item skill that if you pass high logic check you lost the +25 logic buff but you permamently gain talent that allows this character to use his heroic skills freely without touching momentum? Probably it should mean that you could use each of those skills once per turn (and that is already op but i doubt anyone leveled Argenta or Cassia Logic) but sometimes my Pasqal could use his second tier dispatch attack infinitely, so literally i could win everything on my first move ( for some reason he had always best initiative) as long as enemies were in my range. I used this like twice when fighting necrons, at the end it was faster to normally kill everything with Argenta.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Normally I tried my best to not go out of my way to abuse everything and I would just end turn if my characters got extra turns or attacks they should not but for this stupid fight I just used all those bugs to win lol
Fuck this design and untested and unbalanced combat system.
And then they add shit talents like your hemorrage will do +10 damage lol or solid weapons do +2 damage lol
Now I wonder if devs balanced all these act 3+ encounters around Cassia being in the group or they made Cassia OP because they could not be bothered to balance the encounters?

Last edited:

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Finished the game, for all the (many) combat bugs and balance issues I didn't have anything gamebreaking with regard to the story and I really enjoyed it despite the obviously rushed final act, probably enough for it to be my GOTY for 2023.

I'm also happy to report that Owlcat came up with a secret ending that isn't so obscure that you need to use a guide for basically every decision; (Iconoclast and secret ending spoilers) the Nomos ending isn't as involved as their previous secret endings, as long as you start the questchain properly it's just a matter of making sure you complete the associated quests in each chapter and are consistent in your decision making, but it's a nice touch that it's adapted for each of the alignments. I also got the impression that the Iconoclast ending would have been a lot worse without my pet shard-of-a-C'tan-shard to protect the Expanse so I'm glad I did it on this run, although it might have been interesting to see my terrible, obviously heretical decisions come and bite me in the arse more.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Ulfar's charge ability is hilariously broken. How could anyone claim this was tested even once? For a while, I thought it just didn't work at all. On the rare occasions where he has an indisputably clear lane to an enemy, the game acts as if he's blocked. Only twice has the game allowed me to actually trigger the ability with Ulfar. These were times when Ulfar's path was clear but the enemy still had a bunch of terrain around and the attack would have been somewhat diagonal. The first time, instead of taking a direct path, he ran around the entire map, arriving on the opposite side of the enemy from where he started. That is the one and only time I've got him to actually attack using this ability.

The only other time the ability would trigger for me was during his personal quest fight in Act 5. He hightailed it back to the starting point on the map and it would have taken him ten or more turns to get back had the battle not ended before then. After all the valorous Space Wolf fluff preceding that fight, it was pretty funny to see him running away.

Even putting aside the poor build, Ulfar's basic implementation is just horrible. There are warp encounter maps where he has no path to reach enemies. Even in some of the story maps, his movement is so limited by terrain that he's basically useless. It is obvious that he wasn't given much consideration by the people who made these maps. He should be able to trample through or step over half cover. If his size is going to be 100% disadvantage (which is silly), then his unique abilities should be so good that they make up for it. But his unique abilities are lower tier. Then on top of all that they just randomly assigned his archetype abilities.

Fixing his mobility issues is probably too much to ask but they need to fix his build and beef up his unique abilities. Maybe add in some fluff that he's got some injuries that can only fully be healed on Fenris and that's why he moves like an old lady.

Edit - His burst attack with bolter pistol is also broken. It only animates one shot and always deals just one damage number to one enemy. Opportunity attacks being with pistol instead of chainsword is also disappointing but possibly intentional....

The Chaos Marine is equally jacked up. He is invisible half the time. Either on the game map or his paper doll is missing in inventory, or his literal equipment is invisible. It is clear the two Marines were sort of an afterthought. I'm guessing they will work right in about a month or so.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Out of curiosity, how can you use bounty hunter's ultimate on Pasqual? Only the melee option appears, which doesn't work half the time anyway.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Out of curiosity, how can you use bounty hunter's ultimate on Pasqual? Only the melee option appears, which doesn't work half the time anyway.
I've given up on it, it never worked, even on my main sniper when he was BH. I just use Pasqal operative ability if I need to.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It's hilarious that the Space Marine is the worst character lmao
He is not. He is still better than Abelard, Pasqal and your main if you made a bad main. Better than Jae as well. Probably better than Dark Eldar one as well.

If it is not one of these high burst fights on turn 1 and he can get 1st round of buffs from the team he can solo the rest of the encounter.

His starting items suck and better ones are locked high in the trading lists. I was only able to grab the chain sword before end of act 4, wasn't able to reach better armor or helmets :(
Also found a one handed plasma pistol for him in the xeno smugglers traps place. That pistol actually works in melee range like it should.
And it does good damage in combination with concentrated fire.

On defense side they need to give his armors better deflection like some of these CSM have. Also the Exemplar talent that doubles deflection vs single attacks should do that vs burst attacks instead. That would turn all tanks intantly into real tanks vs these bullshit attacks.

Last edited:

REhorror

Educated
Pascal is easily the most single damaging character in the game with the Ancient Plasma rifle, Ulfar can't even come close.

For me, damage wise it's Pascal > Cassia = Argenta > Yrliet > Ulfar > My main (due to dual plasma pistol) > Abelard.
Currently bugged, the only way to use it is to remove the melee weapon.

They need to make it so that Pascal have 3 arms, not 2.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Pascal is easily the most single damaging character in the game with the Ancient Plasma rifle, Ulfar can't even come close.

For me, damage wise it's Pascal > Cassia = Argenta > Yrliet > Ulfar > My main (due to dual plasma pistol) > Abelard.

Only for 1 turn when he gets the heroic from Cassia. And that is abuse that will get fixed at some point.
With same Heroic Ulfar does 100+ damage with a chain sword per attack with 100% hit chance and always crits.
And damage goes up and up as critical damage goes up.

REhorror

Educated

Only for 1 turn when he gets the heroic from Cassia. And that is abuse that will get fixed at some point.
With same Heroic Ulfar does 100+ damage with a chain sword per attack with 100% hit chance and always crits.
Pascal with the Ancient Plasma rilfe can do about 400-800HP/hit, and with Finest Hours, he can do it 11 times.
The only one who come close is Cassia herself with Held in my gaze and Chain of Dominion item, and Argenta with Heavy Bolter with all the rate of fire boosting item, again both with Finest Hours.

He, Cassia and Argenta are my best boi and girls in the game!

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Man, this is probably the best Warhammer 40.000 RPG we got till now but as a game it sucks big time. Bugs galore from start of act 3 (lost my "permanent buffs, enemies without nametags that you can't damage [but you actually can...] and broken quests) then goes even further from act 4. Most of them are usually small, like game don't recognize what you did proparly (like the mutants I executed are now standing in the bar, smiling at me...), but they add up quickly.

Then there is the non existant balance. Our characters are both overpowered and underpowered. If I don't abuse some tactics, like giving Argenta 4 turns at first round, half of my party got 1-2 shot from random mobs. Or I can buff Abelard to become a beacon of undying destruction for 2 rounds but other characters go down quickly yet again.

Character progression is a bloated mess with half of the items and talent interactions not working, or working a bit too good. Lots of items compel you to stack their effects to little effect.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Pascal with the Ancient Plasma rilfe can do about 400-800HP/hit, and with Finest Hours, he can do it 11 times.
The only one who come close is Cassia herself with Held in my gaze and Chain of Dominion item, and Argenta with Heavy Bolter with all the rate of fire boosting item, again both with Finest Hours.

He, Cassia and Argenta are my best boi and girls in the game!
How? Did you respec him from operative into some other class? Also where is this Plasma Rifle? Act 5? I do not care for weapons that you use for last 5% of the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom