Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming August 8th

Ghost Of Iron

Literate
It is actually baffling that Kingmaker still has the overall best end game of the three games Owlcat has released, especially since the end game of Kingmaker was still the worst part of THAT game. Owlcat either needs to take longer in development time and actually finish their games, or cut back on their scope so they have a fully complete set of content. I would have much rather had only three acts in Rogue Trader that were fully finished and content rich, than the half finished jokes that are Act 4-5.

Camel

Scholar

281231-Heresy%20Stamp.png

Dishonoredbr

Erudite

skaraher

Cipher
Currently binge playing it, just started Act 5. The game kinda falls apart after Commoragh, at all levels, design, combat and narratively. Shameful.

But still a fun experience, they got the Wh40k verse themes and vibes. And no wokeshit like the Pozzfinder games.

Went full dogmatic, never compromise with xenos or heresy. I think I missed all the Eldar plotpoints because I massacred them every chance I got. Betray them before they betray you, the Mon-Keigh is a learning animal. :smug:

I allied with Marazhai and farseer to survive Commoragh and betrayed them both once I returned to human space. Like most of Act 4 they're put on a bus without much development or resistance if you choose to do it. Missed opportunities for drama.

Good atmospherics too, really enjoy those part where you're just dicking around with your spaceship being a 40k Harlock.

Best minigames of the Owlcat's three. Was pleasantly supprised by the space battles. Used to play BFG as a kid.

Worst romance though, I've read doujins better written than Cassia's dialogue.

Worse game than Kingmaker, but I'm a 40k addict so I enjoyed it more. Will benefit from a EE.

Combat is a joke once you learn that it's all about rushing momentum to deny the enemy a chance to act while you abuse the Officier op heroic ability. Read a lot of complaints about Space Marine companion sucking. I guess they buffed him to suck less as of the version I'm playing (1.168) cause I didn't notice it.

Act 4 is blatlantly unfinished, lots of poorly structured dialogue tree, lack of conviction choices, plot threads and quest items that lead nowhere etc.

Last edited:

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
Localization tools for Rogue Trader.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/2186680/announcements/detail/4248664999224147276?

Localization Tool for Our Community

Lord Captain!

We sometimes receive requests from players interested in creating a fan localization of Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader into languages that are not represented in the game. We are very happy with such enthusiasm and would like to help our fans in such a glorious deed!

We want to share with you a localization tool that you can use to create your own translation:

https://github.com/OwlcatGames/LocalizationTool

This is an open repository that contains the Localization Tool. You can use it for both Rogue Trader and Wrath of the Righteous fan translation/mod-making (you can even utilize it for your own projects).

To start the fan translation process, you should feed the tool with the game strings. As for Rogue Trader, you can find them inside a mod template archive that is stored on your computer (the game should be installed on your device). The example path for Steam - Steam\steamapps\common\Warhammer 40,000 Rogue Trader\Modding\WhRtModificationTemplate.tar

The text lines in the tool are divided into columns for ease of searching and translation. You can quickly find the needed line or term in it.

In addition, this tool allows you to conveniently edit any in-game text, for example, correct existing dialogue lines or descriptions. This may be of particular interest to mod creators.

We will be thrilled if this helps you in your endeavors!

09819f66e266f3d5811513eca204534340e37c96.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Now that there have been some days since the patch, my two greatest problems with the game when I played were:

1 - Psykers were too weak and dissociated from gameplay. IMO, a pyropsyker MC should be like 1/3 stronger than a Melta gun, and his powers should be like 30x more dangerous to everyone, including himself. Did the patch make his powers at least akin to firearms damage-wise?
2: There is too much gamey stuff similar to D&D 4e(Some Telepath powers works EXACTLY like 4e instead of previous OwlCat games and TT Rogue Trader/Dark Heresy), and too much of the gameplay is about stacking 164641634563516853468 debuffs and buffs and getting so many extra turns that the enemy can barely move. Did this patch also solve it?

As a psyker, I was just using officer abilities to give extra turns to Argenta while she did everything. It was not fun, imo. I reached chapter 4 and stopped playing due boredom waiting till a mod fixes this game, just like all "no fun allowed" bs in NwN2 was fixed by modders.

PS : At least melee combat in this game is great.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Now that there have been some days since the patch, my two greatest problems with the game when I played were:

1 - Psykers were too weak and dissociated from gameplay. IMO, a pyropsyker MC should be like 1/3 stronger than a Melta gun, and his powers should be like 30x more dangerous to everyone, including himself. Did the patch make his powers at least akin to firearms damage-wise?
2: There is too much gamey stuff similar to D&D 4e(Some Telepath powers works EXACTLY like 4e instead of previous OwlCat games and TT Rogue Trader/Dark Heresy), and too much of the gameplay is about stacking 164641634563516853468 debuffs and buffs and getting so many extra turns that the enemy can barely move. Did this patch also solve it?

As a psyker, I was just using officer abilities to give extra turns to Argenta while she did everything. It was not fun, imo. I reached chapter 4 and stopped playing due boredom waiting till a mod fixes this game, just like all "no fun allowed" bs in NwN2 was fixed by modders.

PS : At least melee combat in this game is great.

That was apparently the goal of the patch: fix 'extra turns' and psychers. At least they are aware of the problems, but the extra turn stuff is baked into the game so hard to see it ever getting 'fixed'.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
It is actually baffling that Kingmaker still has the overall best end game of the three games Owlcat has released, especially since the end game of Kingmaker was still the worst part of THAT game. Owlcat either needs to take longer in development time and actually finish their games, or cut back on their scope so they have a fully complete set of content. I would have much rather had only three acts in Rogue Trader that were fully finished and content rich, than the half finished jokes that are Act 4-5.
As I've said repeatedly, they've learned nothing between Kingmaker and RT.

thesecret1

Arcane
Did they nerf Cassia yet, or is she still a walking nuke? Wondering whether I should start a playthrough or wait for longer – I dropped my first run during act 2 since combat became easy to the point where the enemy didn't even get to have a turn before being obliterated.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
That was apparently the goal of the patch: fix 'extra turns' and psychers. At least they are aware of the problems, but the extra turn stuff is baked into the game so hard to see it ever getting 'fixed'.

Seems like they only fixed Pyromancer. Biomancy is all about life manipulation in lore, able to do really nasty stuff, similar to Blood Magic in VtMB/Dragon Age Origins. In game is only a buffer and debuffer. Don't get me wrong. Ranged weapons are fine and melee is great. If you don't care about psykers, this game can still be great for you.

Did they nerf Cassia yet, or is she still a walking nuke? Wondering whether I should start a playthrough or wait for longer – I dropped my first run during act 2 since combat became easy to the point where the enemy didn't even get to have a turn before being obliterated.

Apparently, no. I read the patch notes and she still by far the best companion
https://roguetrader.owlcat.games/news/en/38

ArchAngel

Arcane

Seems like they only fixed Pyromancer. Biomancy is all about life manipulation in lore, able to do really nasty stuff, similar to Blood Magic in VtMB/Dragon Age Origins. In game is only a buffer and debuffer. Don't get me wrong. Ranged weapons are fine and melee is great. If you don't care about psykers, this game can still be great for you.

Apparently, no. I read the patch notes and she still by far the best companion
https://roguetrader.owlcat.games/news/en/38
Her light ability received multiple nerfs which is good. It was cause for many of her other abilities being OP.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
They could like restrict her deployment because losing a navigator is bad for the ship. Thus players would have underleveled walking nuke in some combats, but not in nearly every combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom