Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming August 8th

notpl

Arbiter
Is this playable yet? Worth a shot?
Chapters 1 and 2 are fine. Chapter 3 is divisive but either way it's less than an hour long, so not really worth considering in the overall rating. Chapters 4 and 5 are insulting garbage and I don't think that's going to change with any amount of patches or DLC.

If you just played chapters 1 and 2, I guess it'd be a pretty okay ~25 hour 8/10 crpg with a cool setting.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Is this playable yet? Worth a shot?
Chapters 1 and 2 are fine. Chapter 3 is divisive but either way it's less than an hour long, so not really worth considering in the overall rating. Chapters 4 and 5 are insulting garbage and I don't think that's going to change with any amount of patches or DLC.

If you just played chapters 1 and 2, I guess it'd be a pretty okay ~25 hour 8/10 crpg with a cool setting.
I am pretty sure it takes more than 1 h to do Act 3 unless you already did it a few times and you are speedrunning. I would say 5h if you are not taking your time and doing it first time. Also Prologue+Act 1 + Act 2 is way more than 25h if you are exploring and doing everything.

notpl

Arbiter
I had finished chapter 3 and completely exhausted all the content in the game up to that point (chapters 4 and 5 having mostly the same planets that were available in chapter 2, barring a couple of new things that open up as a result of the story) with 27 hours on my save, which is what I base that on. Chapter 3 is literally four exterior map screens and three interiors, with five or six fights on them, some of which will take literal seconds if you're built right. Maybe it takes longer now with some overpowered stuff being nerfed? But I doubt it.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Finished it. Not sure why people dislike Chapter III... I think it wasn't particularly brilliant plot wise as why you ended up there, but nothing tragic.
The real issue is the endgame, it felt random, like they had to put all warhammer stuff in it... did I miss something or seems pretty disconnected, there's no closure, it just happens.

Also Ulfar last quest is hilariously bad and makes no sense, he is the worst companion together with Jae, writing wise.

Tried to increase from hard to unfair during chapter II with 0 difference, combat is repetive, too easy and terribly slow.
Was trying to romance Yrliet and somehow I must have failed something as it never progressed, or it just bugged out. Finished 496/500 on my conviction too. Thanks Owlcat.

This said, it is a good game, I am clueless about WH40K but I really liked the athmosphere and the setting. I think they did a good job there, will replay with DLC.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Finished it. Not sure why people dislike Chapter III... I think it wasn't particularly brilliant plot wise as why you ended up there, but nothing tragic.
The real issue is the endgame, it felt random, like they had to put all warhammer stuff in it... did I miss something or seems pretty disconnected, there's no closure, it just happens.

Also Ulfar last quest is hilariously bad and makes no sense, he is the worst companion together with Jae, writing wise.

Tried to increase from hard to unfair during chapter II with 0 difference, combat is repetive, too easy and terribly slow.
Was trying to romance Yrliet and somehow I must have failed something as it never progressed, or it just bugged out. Finished 496/500 on my conviction too. Thanks Owlcat.

This said, it is a good game, I am clueless about WH40K but I really liked the athmosphere and the setting. I think they did a good job there, will replay with DLC.
From what I heard if you ever try to touch her romance will not progress as she is disgusted by a touch from a monkey.
As for Ulfar, I enjoyed listening to his voice lines so his quest was not bad. What was really bad is Argenta's last quest.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
From what I heard if you ever try to touch her romance will not progress as she is disgusted by a touch from a monkey.
As for Ulfar, I enjoyed listening to his voice lines so his quest was not bad. What was really bad is Argenta's last quest.

Regarding the romance I didn't touch her.... I even went to check guides in the late chapters as I was wondering why it stopped with the scenes.
Still don't know what I missed or what I did wrong, but apparently it was bugged, fixed, bugged several times so who knows if it is my fault.

Ulfar quest is stupid because you find the marines dead, nobody cares how they died, why, and to find the perpretators, or at least understand what happened, which is not what you would expect, "oh they dead, lets give them a funeral". Also he is theorically pretty dogmatic, and after the recruit he immediatly gives you a "god-emperor is just a man *tips fedora* talk". On top of that I generally find the viking stuff pretty cringe.

Argenta quest was just filler but at least made sense with the writing?

Aarwolf

Learned
There's no incentive. Their games sell well and the mainstream reception is good. Yet another reminder that nobody cares about codex opinions (unfortunately?).

The general sentiment is actually pretty much in alignment with the Codex on this - game takes a massive nosedive in quality after Chapter 2.

Which begs the question - why spend time and resources on content that very few people like just to make the game longer? I can't figure out the logic behind making the development process longer and more expensive just to make the game as a whole worse.

The first two Chapters take around 40-ish hours or so to complete, which is a perfectly fine length for a CRPG. The entire main story of the game could've easily been told in those 40 hours and without tedious filler content like Commoragh. That entire Chapter serves almost no purpose in the overarching narrative. In fact, the entire subplot about the Drukhari
and Xavier's alliance with them
could be completely removed from the game and it wouldn't suffer for it in the slightest. The only reason they're there is because someone in Owlcat is thirsting for Le Goth Space Elves.

It would be very fun and cool 40h game - you are a new rogue trader, you have to restore your fiefdom, do some fighting, do some trading, do some exploring, beat the bird like boss at the end of today's chapter 2 and that's it. It would be fine, solid game - low level, polished, with a decent progressing and some hooks for a sequel (direct or not).

Dark space elves could have some cameo as one of the hooks, why not.

But of course not, that couldn't happen. And here we are.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Instead of wanting shorter games because quality usually drops after a while, what if we demand long games with quality not dropping.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Notice how there is actually no trading in this Rogue Trader game. You don't buy low and sell high, you don't have contraband, you don't strike deals.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Regarding the romance I didn't touch her.... I even went to check guides in the late chapters as I was wondering why it stopped with the scenes.
Still don't know what I missed or what I did wrong, but apparently it was bugged, fixed, bugged several times so who knows if it is my fault.

Ulfar quest is stupid because you find the marines dead, nobody cares how they died, why, and to find the perpretators, or at least understand what happened, which is not what you would expect, "oh they dead, lets give them a funeral". Also he is theorically pretty dogmatic, and after the recruit he immediatly gives you a "god-emperor is just a man *tips fedora* talk". On top of that I generally find the viking stuff pretty cringe.

Argenta quest was just filler but at least made sense with the writing?
What do you mean? You get that dream sequence, it not just a funeral. Also just because Ulfar does not mention he wants revenge it does not mean it is over. I had him in last fight in Act 5, we find out who is guilty.
As for Emperor is a man, that is how most Space Marines feel, only one or two chapters look at him as a God

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
What do you mean? You get that dream sequence, it not just a funeral. Also just because Ulfar does not mention he wants revenge it does not mean it is over. I had him in last fight in Act 5, we find out who is guilty.

The book event is about the fight with his "brother". Even if you have to have him in party to make it sense of it, later, it doesn't make sense within the quest.

As for Emperor is a man, that is how most Space Marines feel, only one or two chapters look at him as a God

I don't know enough about w40k lore, but it seemed weird how it tells you that out of the blue, especially when you have Argenta around. If it's like that then maybe it should have been explained better

Harthwain

Magister
I don't know enough about w40k lore, but it seemed weird how it tells you that out of the blue, especially when you have Argenta around.
Argenta is literally a human from the order of warrior-nuns that worships the Emperor as god of Mankind (which is means she is even more fanatical in her worship than most humans in this universe are). Space Marines are the descendants of the sons of the Emperor, so it makes sense they have a different approach from regular humans.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2186680/view/4151835070966003033
Steam Deck Verified

Lord Captain!

In case you missed the recent news from the Warhammer Skulls event, we would like to remind you that Rogue Trader has received the coveted green check mark.

Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader is now fully compatible with Steam Deck and ready to be played on the device!

We've reworked several game interfaces and other minor elements to optimize your gaming experience and make the game feel comfortable to play on Steam Deck.

Brace yourself, Lord Captain! The first major story expansion, Void Shadows, is set to be released on August 8, 2024!

The Emperor protects!

f08e3dc75ae1a362f0d1b8181c2ae792f79f9018.jpg

ArchAngel

Arcane

The book event is about the fight with his "brother". Even if you have to have him in party to make it sense of it, later, it doesn't make sense within the quest.

I don't know enough about w40k lore, but it seemed weird how it tells you that out of the blue, especially when you have Argenta around. If it's like that then maybe it should have been explained better
Taking them into party to get stuff about them outside of their companion quests is how this game works and I love that approach.
Like if you do not take Argenta with you to Act 3 you never find out what she did.

notpl

Arbiter
Is the heretic's path worth the effort?
Nah, really bad. The inquisition continues to treat you exactly the same and at a certain point all your dogmatic companions just leave with a single line of dialogue and zero reactivity from anywhere else, then you go on to the world's worst crpg final chapter.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Is the heretic's path worth the effort?
Nah, really bad. The inquisition continues to treat you exactly the same and at a certain point all your dogmatic companions just leave with a single line of dialogue and zero reactivity from anywhere else, then you go on to the world's worst crpg final chapter.

Maybe Owlcat will fix it like Devil path in Wrath - three years after its release :D However, I'm not sure if Rogue Trader will be supported for that long.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Owlcat_Eyler some more feedback for your masters. This is based on a reading a lot of confused comments and feedback from people that knew nothing or little about WH40k world before playing your game. It seems the game does not present to players well or early enough why it is so hardcore and crazy. It does not present why the Imperium is as merciless as it is and lessons from the past and what it cost in lives and lost worlds when Imperium tried to "do better"

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
It does not present why the Imperium is as merciless as it is and lessons from the past and what it cost in lives and lost worlds when Imperium tried to "do better"
I actually thought the potential creation of the Daemon world at the end of Act 1 did that pretty well. It was a good example of how being putting your own personal morals above the greater good and giving into chaos can be one and the same in that Universe and I'm glad that they did it through a storybeat and not through a bunch of exposition.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It does not present why the Imperium is as merciless as it is and lessons from the past and what it cost in lives and lost worlds when Imperium tried to "do better"
I actually thought the potential creation of the Daemon world at the end of Act 1 did that pretty well. It was a good example of how being putting your own personal morals above the greater good and giving into chaos can be one and the same in that Universe and I'm glad that they did it through a storybeat and not through a bunch of exposition.
It is good but not enough or early enough. Also its effects are not presented good enough. You get a little penalty and not much else happens. Then you are already moving to next area with whole new set of problems.

Also fighting Demons is one obvious example but game does not explain why it requires such crazy oppression of the people. Also none of it is shown as helping people survive during the game.

Closest thing to showing how you need to make tough decisions is when you take into the ship that crazy mirror. I tried everything with it and in the end needed to vacuum it into space together with all crew in that area.
Such situations are too few in the game. All Imperium characters are shown as crazy or psychopaths and doing crazy things for no real reason looking like religious freaks.

I know the history of this setting and understand why are people behaving like they are, but it is not explained in the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom