Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming August 8th

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Gods of W40K, at least judging from the little I know, don't seem to be neither omnipotent, omniscient and neither immortal. So very powerful entities but not gods in a classic way. Worshipping them as such is more than a political stance than faith.

Peachcurl

Cipher
Some of them are immortal for all intents and purposes. Either way, that's not a definition of "gods in a classic way" that's the definition of God in terms of monotheistic religions like Christianity.

Osiris, Zeus, Odin, Shiva ... none of those are/were generally believed to be omnipotent, omniscient, and immortal.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Some of them are immortal for all intents and purposes. Either way, that's not a definition of "gods in a classic way" that's the definition of God in terms of monotheistic religions like Christianity.

Osiris, Zeus, Odin, Shiva ... none of those are/were generally believed to be omnipotent, omniscient, and immortal.

Zeus was immortal as all greek gods.
Odin was omniscient if not immortal, so not sure what your point is.

Anything can be a god? I think it is fitting that W40K doesn't have some entity really godly btw.

Peachcurl

Cipher

If immortality alone is sufficient, there's plenty of gods in W40k.

Is Odin the only norse god?

Yosharian

Arcane
Gods of W40K, at least judging from the little I know, don't seem to be neither omnipotent, omniscient and neither immortal. So very powerful entities but not gods in a classic way. Worshipping them as such is more than a political stance than faith.
Ehhh not really

Chaos seems to be kind of like a primordial force that's created from all the evil in the universe

Like for example the degeneracy of the Eldar, pre-fall, birthed Slaanesh

Other gods I'm not sure

But worshipping them is definitely still a matter of faith in most cases

ArchAngel

Arcane
Ehhh not really

Chaos seems to be kind of like a primordial force that's created from all the evil in the universe

Like for example the degeneracy of the Eldar, pre-fall, birthed Slaanesh

Other gods I'm not sure

But worshipping them is definitely still a matter of faith in most cases
It is called Warp and it is not evil but emotions or someshit. Just that evil emotions are stronger and there is more so they created powerful warp entities which are called Chaos gods.

Eldar have other Warp "gods" that are not based on negative emotions, they are just too weak to beat Slanesh.

Emperor also almost became another Chaos god during the rebellion.

WK40k does not have real God like in Christianity.

Stoned Ape

Savant
The Chaos Gods rely on the collective human psyche for their sustenance. If Horus had won and the Emperor died in 30k, Chaos would have gorged on humanity until the race died out, then they themselves would have starved to death.

The gods in 40k have become embodiments of their portfolios to such an extent that they are driven to act in accordance with them. They have pretty much no ability to act outside of the furtherance of their aspect. It's speculated that's one of the reasons the Emperor did not want to become a god (outside of his desire for rationality to overcome superstition), he had plans to fight against chaos and if he received the faith and worship of people his actions would be influenced according to their perception of his role until he was unable to freely act as he wished.

ArchAngel

Arcane
What I find the strangest about WK40k is that the whole story happens in One galaxy (out of millions or more) and this one galaxy is powering these entities in Warp that does not work like realspace.
Where are "gods" powered by living beings from other galaxies?

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Someone beat the game without ever level up on Normal difficulty.

He has Ulfar and Marazhai. Marazhai is recrutied at level 29, Ulfar can't remember... 20?
Anyway, yeah game is piss easy on the combat.

Not the skill checks, he probably failed most of them.

Robert Erick

Educated

Anything can be a god? I think it is fitting that W40K doesn't have some entity really godly btw.
Both Odin and Zeus had to eat a special fruit to be immortal. Zeus nearly died at Typhon's hands. Zeus also didn't know the future and needed the Moirai to know the destinies of humans, fellow gods and himself.

In Warhams, 40k and Fantasy, the lower case gods exist, live in a non-linear realm of magic, and influence the world of mortals/material world. They are powered by belief and adherence to their tenets, so the more war there is, the more powerful Khorne, the god of war, is. The four chaos ones routinely "bless" their followers with mutations and mind afflictions and sometimes powers. Nobody worships them for "political reasons". I don't even know why I'm replying to you because you're argumentative about something that you've admitted to not knowing anything about.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Both Odin and Zeus had to eat a special fruit to be immortal. Zeus nearly died at Typhon's hands. Zeus also didn't know the future and needed the Moirai to know the destinies of humans, fellow gods and himself.

And?
Anyway this is even incorrect, it was norse gods that had to eat a fruit, which just stopped them from aging.

In Warhams, 40k and Fantasy, the lower case gods exist, live in a non-linear realm of magic, and influence the world of mortals/material world. They are powered by belief and adherence to their tenets, so the more war there is, the more powerful Khorne, the god of war, is. The four chaos ones routinely "bless" their followers with mutations and mind afflictions and sometimes powers.

In real religions, but also in DND, gods create sentient beings, not the other way around.

Nobody worships them for "political reasons". I don't even know why I'm replying to you because you're argumentative about something that you've admitted to not knowing anything about.

I thought Abaddon did. And also other chaos marines/champions of chaos? I am not being argumentative, just wondering and all I got is people like you who brought up example from real mythology that are wrong, you could still be right but unable to prove it in a correct way I guess.
And I don't know why you are replying either since you have nothing of value to add.

Robert Erick

Educated

And classical gods were neither omnipotent, omniscient or immortal. Only capital G God is, although His Son died for our sins.

In real religions, but also in DND, gods create sentient beings, not the other way around.

In Greek religion, which is classical, two titans created sentient beings, Prometheus and Epimetheus. The other gods can and do transform mortals (or other immortals) into different items or critters. It's inconsistent because pre-Christian religions were not written into dogma. In warhams, chaos gods create demons and transmute mortals into demons and give them immortality. Though it's debatable whether or not the created demons are sapient.

I thought Abaddon did. And also other chaos marines/champions of chaos? I am not being argumentative, just wondering and all I got is people like you who brought up example from real mythology that are wrong, you could still be right but unable to prove it in a correct way I guess.

Abaddon's motives change depending on who writes him and the Black Library has a large stable of writers. The most accepted one is that he's using the Chaos gods to conquer the Imperium because he believes in Horus' original mission statement, which was that Primarchs and Spess Muhreens should rule Humanity, which is I guess supremacy-motivated politics, but isn't worship. A few chaos space marines legions use chaos but don't worship the Gods for xyz reasons. But the grand majority do, and for certain every single human worshiper of Chaos worships the gods for boons or out of fear or desperation, which is the same kind of transactory relationship that pagans had with their pagan gods, which are Classical gods. And there have been charlatans that pretend to worship for reasons other than belief. Every US president swears on the Bible to be elected, but then starts wars across the globe. That doesn't mean God doesn't exist, it means a mercenary is in charge of a Christian country.

And I don't know why you are replying either since you have nothing of value to add.

Because I started playing the game recently and I wanted to complain about it, then I saw your post and I wanted to complain about it as well.

Robert Erick

Educated
Anyway, I started playing the game recently and I realized very quickly that I will have to be a therapist for my companions just like in every single other post-BG2 crpg. I'm normally immunized to that sort of shit, but something about it being in the Warhammer 40k universe broke the spell. I only finished the tutorial and got made a Rogue Trader and I had to stop playing.

I just don't want to do it this time. I don't want to solve the problems of my baby companions/underlings. I don't want to reveal a plot about a demon causing trouble (that's every plot in Warhammer). I don't want to make the tuff moral choices (should I choose the evil option, or the redditor option?). I just wanted to be Horatio Hornblower in Space, which is the main attraction of the Rogue Trader RPG, and I realized that the game won't allow me to.

If someone can tell me if I should keep playing it or keep it shelved, I'd appreciate it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Anyway, I started playing the game recently and I realized very quickly that I will have to be a therapist for my companions just like in every single other post-BG2 crpg. I'm normally immunized to that sort of shit, but something about it being in the Warhammer 40k universe broke the spell. I only finished the tutorial and got made a Rogue Trader and I had to stop playing.

I just don't want to do it this time. I don't want to solve the problems of my baby companions/underlings. I don't want to reveal a plot about a demon causing trouble (that's every plot in Warhammer). I don't want to make the tuff moral choices (should I choose the evil option, or the redditor option?). I just wanted to be Horatio Hornblower in Space, which is the main attraction of the Rogue Trader RPG, and I realized that the game won't allow me to.

If someone can tell me if I should keep playing it or keep it shelved, I'd appreciate it.
Dogmatic path is awesome and unique. You get to do a bunch of classic Evil stuff while everyone is praising you for doing good. That is pretty unique in world of cRPGs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom