Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming September 24th

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Any good warhammer noir sorta thing while we're here? Other than what you can find on suptg

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I bought this at launch and put around 9.5 hours into it before performance and bugs pulled me out completely. I haven't touched it since April 15th, but I haven't really played it since probably around Christmas. Is it in better shape now? I'm expecting I will have to start all over, which is fine, since I don't remember a fucking thing anyway.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I've since been told this and gone on a Pathfinder odyssey, playing Kingmaker in TB mode as long as I could. You can really tell the encounter design was built with RTWP in mind. Been brutally burned by Kingmaker so many times that I still haven't found the strength to give WOTR a proper try.
Wotr is better enjoyed using both modes. Harder fights you play on Turn based, fooder you play on RtwP. But honestly, if you didn't vibe with Kingmaker, Wrath is just that turn up to 11 with all the mythic powers.

Personally, i find harder to play WoTR/Kingmaker after playing Rogue Trader. Even if i preffer the building mechanics of Pathfinder, not having to deal with enemies with 56 AC at level 13 is refresing..

fuck everyone involved with Blackwater

No reason to do Blackwater at 13 and if you can’t beat 56AC at that level why are you playing Unfair in the first place? Not like the mobs there are especially dangerous if you don’t kill them right away and the Regen can be turned off with any source of Shock or Adamantine.

They even give you Wand of Call Lightning and Bracers that maje all damage Shock (and give a spontaneous caster Shock spells).
The fights aren't hard, just a slog. Especialy with the AI ignoring engagement and targeting anyone they want at any moment.

It just turn into my character chasing demons around entire place because they won't let my archer go. My PC is basically immortal against them.
Why is that demon still alive in the first place?

Kill shit.

If you can't manage that use Difficult Terrain. Trivial to make your team immune to it.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I am looking into playing this, but if you can believe it, I know next to nothing about this 40k universe.
What is a good Codex approved introduction to this world? (video, audio, etc)

I read a few books, most were absolute dogshit, but the first Horus Heresy book was pretty good and it's a good introduction to the world. Gaunt's Ghosts was also enjoyable. Both are available as audiobooks.

For lore and quick introductions to the concepts, Luetin is like the ultimate sleep-to-this channel on YouTube entire:

I'm not that into 40K tbh but I enjoy having Luetin in the background while doing other shit

Only the first HH book is readable.

Complete nonsense.

There are at least 15 books that are excellent.

Name one, non slop warham novel.

Horus Rising (in fact most of the Horus Heresy series is p. gud)
Eisenhorn series
Ravenor series
vast majority of the Gaunts Ghosts series (I would perhaps not count Ghost Maker, as it is a collection of short stories)
Horusian Wars series
Shira Calpurnia series
Last Chancers series
Siege of Terra series
Inquisition War series
Execution Hour/Shadowpoint (I guess I could call them a Gothic War series too)
plenty of the old Necromunda books were p. good too - I would name Junction as an example

I mean this is already 30+ books right here, want me to keep going?

I asked about non-slop novel, not harlequins for men.

Anonymous Ranger

Educated
I bought this at launch and put around 9.5 hours into it before performance and bugs pulled me out completely. I haven't touched it since April 15th, but I haven't really played it since probably around Christmas. Is it in better shape now? I'm expecting I will have to start all over, which is fine, since I don't remember a fucking thing anyway.
Yes I beat it a month or two back. There were minor bugs here and there but it was nothing that would prevent you from finishing the game and it's nothing like it was at launch. Totally playable now unlike how it was before.

skaraher

Prophet
I dare you to read Legion, Know No Fear and Prospero Burns and then tell me with a straight face that they are 'unreadable'. Fucking laughable.
I read them and they're shit. Legion is one of the worst pre-woke Abnett novel and introduced the most retarded concepts of HH.
I am looking into playing this, but if you can believe it, I know next to nothing about this 40k universe.

I read a few books, most were absolute dogshit, but the first Horus Heresy book was pretty good and it's a good introduction to the world. Gaunt's Ghosts was also enjoyable. Both are available as audiobooks.

For lore and quick introductions to the concepts, Luetin is like the ultimate sleep-to-this channel on YouTube entire:

I'm not that into 40K tbh but I enjoy having Luetin in the background while doing other shit

Complete nonsense.

Horus Rising (in fact most of the Horus Heresy series is p. gud)
Eisenhorn series
Ravenor series
vast majority of the Gaunts Ghosts series (I would perhaps not count Ghost Maker, as it is a collection of short stories)
Horusian Wars series
Shira Calpurnia series
Last Chancers series
Siege of Terra series
Inquisition War series
Execution Hour/Shadowpoint (I guess I could call them a Gothic War series too)
plenty of the old Necromunda books were p. good too - I would name Junction as an example

I mean this is already 30+ books right here, want me to keep going?

Eisenhorn and Horus Rising are mid-SF, Abnett is no Gene Wolfe. The rest is hot garbage.

Ciaphas Cain from Sandy Mitchell is good comedy and pokes fun at the retardation of the 40k verse.

The other authors can go fuck themselves.

I learned recently Gaunt Ghost was essentially ripping off Sharpe.

Reinhardt

Arcane

Complete nonsense.

deff skwadron

La vie sexuelle

Learned
define slop then

Definition in literature? Impossible. I can tell you about my associations, though.

Slop literature is a continuation of what was called "littérature de la gare", then pulp (I specifically avoid this term because it has associations with a certain type of subject matter, and I am less interested in the general nature of this type of literature than in subject matter). Another, more apt name is "industrial literature", born in the industrial era and produced like an industry.

Slop is convenient, easy, simple, easy to replace. It gives quick pleasure, empty calories. It is something worse than ordinary entertainment literature, which preserves the proper features of a literary work (or at least it used to be distinguishable), by which I mean an appropriately high technical, psychological level and avoidance of infantilism.

In other words, literature assumes that a mature individual operates a craft appropriately. This is what distinguishes Chandler (a writer) from Hammett (a sloper with the makings of a writer). For example - Eisenhorn or Gorek & Felix. Both series have their moments, even some depth, but too quickly they fall into very gamey brawls, inability to lead the action in a sensible direction or plain childishness.

Just like Harlequins.

And yet Gotrek and Eisenhorn are the better ones (I can also add books by Newman and Watson, forgotten nowadays). And yet there is the edgelord Bowden and the really weak Goto and a lot of nameless slopers.

Peachcurl

Arcane
Definition in literature? Impossible. I can tell you about my associations, though.

Slop literature is a continuation of what was called "littérature de la gare", then pulp (I specifically avoid this term because it has associations with a certain type of subject matter, and I am less interested in the general nature of this type of literature than in subject matter). Another, more apt name is "industrial literature", born in the industrial era and produced like an industry.

Slop is convenient, easy, simple, easy to replace. It gives quick pleasure, empty calories. It is something worse than ordinary entertainment literature, which preserves the proper features of a literary work (or at least it used to be distinguishable), by which I mean an appropriately high technical, psychological level and avoidance of infantilism.

In other words, literature assumes that a mature individual operates a craft appropriately. This is what distinguishes Chandler (a writer) from Hammett (a sloper with the makings of a writer). For example - Eisenhorn or Gorek & Felix. Both series have their moments, even some depth, but too quickly they fall into very gamey brawls, inability to lead the action in a sensible direction or plain childishness.

Just like Harlequins.

And yet Gotrek and Eisenhorn are the better ones (I can also add books by Newman and Watson, forgotten nowadays). And yet there is the edgelord Bowden and the really weak Goto and a lot of nameless slopers.
I expect it to be hard to define. It's a very subjective term. Which is exactly why it needs a definition or at least decent context / examples if you really want a sensible answer.

What do you think of:
- Pawns of Chaos
- Witchbringer
- Grim Repast
?

btw. there's a w40k book thread: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/best-warhammer-40k-books.141884

Tomas

Educated
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Since there are so many Warhammer 40k scholars here I have a question regarding a book I read a few years ago. The plot dealt with a human inquisitor who was sent by his boss into the depths of the undercity to investigate some cult or plot. During the investigation he was getting conflicting messages from his boss who was under the influence of an Eldar seer. The Eldar was trying to manipulate the boss and influence the investigation to prevent attack on a craft world. Chaos space marines were involved too. That is all I remember. Anyone know what is the name of the book?

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Just like Harlequins.

I expect it to be hard to define. It's a very subjective term. Which is exactly why it needs a definition or at least decent context / examples if you really want a sensible answer.

What do you think of:
- Pawns of Chaos
- Witchbringer
- Grim Repast
?

I haven't read any of those three, partly because two of them are from the modern Warhammer era. Why do you mention them? Has the level of GW books increased recently?

I'll look through it. Although I have so many backlog books that if I decided to pick up a Warhammer book, I don't know when I'd read it :D

Lodis

Educated
Recruited Jae which I’m quickly coming to regret. Not sure who she’s meant to appeal to. Also not sure what role she’s supposed to play in terms of party composition.

notpl

Arbiter
Recruited Jae which I’m quickly coming to regret. Not sure who she’s meant to appeal to. Also not sure what role she’s supposed to play in terms of party composition.
Her story/romance actually gets better as it goes, I thought. She's meant to be kind of insufferable at first.

As for her role in the party, she's just a less blatantly overpowered Cassia if you (correctly) decide that using her is cheating.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

She can be a good damage dealer, can be speced for both melee and shooting. Plus her romance stuff is p. hilarious tbh fam, can recommend.

Harthwain

Magister
Recruited Jae which I’m quickly coming to regret. Not sure who she’s meant to appeal to.
She's a human rogue/pirate with a hint of Arabica. I don't find her insufferable, as some do, but I didn't particularly care for her background either as it felt forced to me (and her voice actress is terrible).

Also not sure what role she’s supposed to play in terms of party composition.
The way I used her was equipping multiple-hitting Eldar (and, later, Dark Eldar) weapons after buffing her damage, which allowed for some really high amount of total damage. She is also a very good "skill monkey" (I swapped between her and Cassia).

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
It's for people that like type of characters that are Rogue-ish/Scoundrel. IMO it's a huge downgrade from Woljif , her VA is not nearly as good and story is meh (outside of funny romance scene). And she's like a Mediocre Cassia gameplay wise imo.

But her Quest involving getting a Document and getting into know the amount of bullshit that's the Bureaucracy in the Imperium is quite funny.

Peachcurl

Arcane

Just like Harlequins.

What do you think of:
- Pawns of Chaos
- Witchbringer
- Grim Repast
?

I haven't read any of those three, partly because two of them are from the modern Warhammer era. Why do you mention them? Has the level of GW books increased recently?
Because I think they are well written, and not so much focused on the typical tropes of space marine superhero novels and mil-scifi guard novels that have been covered ad nauseam already.

I don't think the level has increased at any rate. Just that the occasional great books are swimming in an ocean of mediocre (but imo still entertaining) books.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom