Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - now with Void Shadows DLC

Darkwind

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Jae and Idira manage to less liked, by quite a lot mind you, than Marazhai , a Drukhari that's basically the villain for act 2 , kidnaps you , tortures you and requires you to give him part of your crew to keep him sane. Also you only get him by Mid to late Act 3.

That's a feat.
Nobody likes the Indian whore/rapist Jae and the annoying mentally unstable redditor Idira.
They are the bane of my existence. I'm so happy you can get rid of them immediately.

I dunno, I think it was secretly quite based that they made Jae exactly as you'd expect in real life. She is a swarthy untrustworthy middle eastern gypsy whore stereotype who uses her silky words and pussy to try and manipulate you at every turn and extract maximum value with minimal effort.

The entire genetic line of middle eastern swarthy desert goblins pretty much operate their societies like this 100% of the time. So ultra-based Owlcat leaned into it. :-D:cool:

babayaga

Educated
Jae and Idira manage to less liked, by quite a lot mind you, than Marazhai , a Drukhari that's basically the villain for act 2 , kidnaps you , tortures you and requires you to give him part of your crew to keep him sane. Also you only get him by Mid to late Act 3.

That's a feat.
Nobody likes the Indian whore/rapist Jae and the annoying mentally unstable redditor Idira.
They are the bane of my existence. I'm so happy you can get rid of them immediately.

I dunno, I think it was secretly quite based that they made Jae exactly as you'd expect in real life. She is a swarthy untrustworthy middle eastern gypsy whore stereotype who uses her silky words and pussy to try and manipulate you at every turn and extract maximum value with minimal effort.

The entire genetic line of middle eastern swarthy desert goblins pretty much operate their societies like this 100% of the time. So ultra-based Owlcat leaned into it. :-D:cool:
Middle eastern? More like indian and if she was depicted like a realistic pajeet, she would be shitting all over the deck.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
RT is a half baked pile of manure of extreme low quality even by owlcat standards set by previous games. Everything is half ass'd in the game, from the majority of skills and abilities being useless, lack of c&c and proper branching paths, lack of reactivity to important aspects of 40k (like being a psykers, you get a few throwaway lines at tutorial of game then treated like a regular chump) . The game has the worst implementation of psykers in all of 40k visual medium. Game forces you to play with console commands lol so you can bypass broken quests, abilities and so on. Even the regular movement is extremely cumbersome, with characters feel like they are floating from one scene to another.

Harthwain

Magister
I thought her voice was pretty good, especially in the prologue, the VA gave her all, even if Idira herself is a boring char. Voice acting in general is great.
I don't mean her voice acting. I mean literally her voice. I don't know if it's the tone or if I am simply tired of this particular accent, but I can't stand hearing it.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I started playing this last week, and it's amazing how shitty the itemification and the progression are in this game. 99% of all items are trash, but it's kind of okay because they just go into your cargo where you don't do anything with them (at least I haven't done anything yet and I just arrived in chapter 2). Also, I hate how overcomplicated the skills are. Many of them only provide a very specific bonus in a very specific situation, but somehow you're supposed to know which one to pick during a level up. I started dreading the level up because leveling up just means spending another ten minutes reading bullshit skill descriptions.

Nevertheless, the game is fun, and I don't really understand why. I guess, I need to do the codex thing and put a lot of hours into it, so I can tell everyone why it sucks.

Harthwain

Magister
99% of all items are trash, but it's kind of okay because they just go into your cargo where you don't do anything with them (at least I haven't done anything yet and I just arrived in chapter 2).
You sell it to factions for reputation or use them in some Warp-related events.

Also, I hate how overcomplicated the skills are. Many of them only provide a very specific bonus in a very specific situation, but somehow you're supposed to know which one to pick during a level up. I started dreading the level up because leveling up just means spending another ten minutes reading bullshit skill descriptions.
You get used to it. But, yeah, the game really throws the player into the deep water in terms of sheer number of skills.

Dayyālu

Arcane
I'm not particularly surprised by the results of the poll. Abelard is well-written, even if the lines given to him start to drop significantly after Chapter 2. Cassia was probably someone's waifu as she keeps having stuff to do and to say constantly ( compare and contrast with Argenta's questline, that is essentially two maps cobbled together and a result based on stuff you have no way to know, her becoming a Repentia or getting the Holy Armour in a quest you don't see resolved offscreen is based on hidden stats you can't know). It helps that both Cassia and Argenta are absolute monsters in combat and they could solo everything at release. Also Murder Disney Princess.

Pasqal is written decently and was mechanically broken, not surprised he got attention. Decent sidequest too.

Heinrix has the problem of being Abelard 2.0 with shittier writing. Yrliet has the bonus of being mechanically useful and people want to fuck the redhead elf even if she's written horrifically and has the biggest Woman Moment of all the game. She's a retard but people simply want to fuck the elf. Marazhai has a similar problem to Heinrix, he's essentially mechanically useless for when you get him, kinda weak compared to the powerhouses.... but at least his writing was funny, before I sent him to the dungeons.

Jae and Indira, with the extra of being the token minorities, were truly dreadfully written. We're supposed to find Jae "cool" and Indira "a different point of view" but they're both self-centered annoying heretics, and most people play Lawful Good in RPGs. A foregone conclusion.

What strikes me are the NPCs and Boss Fights. Not surprising most people remember the Chaos Marine because I bet more than 50% dropped the game in Act II and very few managed to struggle amongst the sea of mediocrity until the other bosses, but the NPCs are telling: Xavier is essentially dumped on you endlessly through Chapter IV-V (being the real cobbled together endgame) and Winterscale is the only one with a sort of arc and resolution.

GentlemanCthulhu

Liturgist
Jae and Indira, with the extra of being the token minorities, were truly dreadfully written. We're supposed to find Jae "cool" and Indira "a different point of view" but they're both self-centered annoying heretics, and most people play Lawful Good in RPGs. A foregone conclusion.
While true, I've already decided that I will kill both Jae and Idira even on my upcoming heretical playthrough. They are just shit characters.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I'm not particularly surprised by the results of the poll. Abelard is well-written, even if the lines given to him start to drop significantly after Chapter 2. Cassia was probably someone's waifu as she keeps having stuff to do and to say constantly ( compare and contrast with Argenta's questline, that is essentially two maps cobbled together and a result based on stuff you have no way to know, her becoming a Repentia or getting the Holy Armour in a quest you don't see resolved offscreen is based on hidden stats you can't know). It helps that both Cassia and Argenta are absolute monsters in combat and they could solo everything at release. Also Murder Disney Princess.

Pasqal is written decently and was mechanically broken, not surprised he got attention. Decent sidequest too.

Heinrix has the problem of being Abelard 2.0 with shittier writing. Yrliet has the bonus of being mechanically useful and people want to fuck the redhead elf even if she's written horrifically and has the biggest Woman Moment of all the game. She's a retard but people simply want to fuck the elf. Marazhai has a similar problem to Heinrix, he's essentially mechanically useless for when you get him, kinda weak compared to the powerhouses.... but at least his writing was funny, before I sent him to the dungeons.

What strikes me are the NPCs and Boss Fights. Not surprising most people remember the Chaos Marine because I bet more than 50% dropped the game in Act II and very few managed to struggle amongst the sea of mediocrity until the other bosses, but the NPCs are telling: Xavier is essentially dumped on you endlessly through Chapter IV-V (being the real cobbled together endgame) and Winterscale is the only one with a sort of arc and resolution.
Most people play Chaotic Good and such people picked Jae, Indira and elf chick for sure.
WH40k fans are ones that would not pick them, the dogmatic path is not close to LG, it is pure LE path. Probably closer to NE as people are being executed left and right without any trials or real proof they deserve to die.

babayaga

Educated

Most people play Chaotic Good and such people picked Jae, Indira and elf chick for sure.
WH40k fans are ones that would not pick them, the dogmatic path is not close to LG, it is pure LE path. Probably closer to NE as people are being executed left and right without any trials or real proof they deserve to die.
Why is there so many people that think that being dogmatic is evil? In the universe of WH40k, being dogmatic is flawed but the best humanity has for the survival of the human species. Being permissive and understanding is not an option, it could lead (and it almost did) to total annihilation.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Why is there so many people that think that being dogmatic is evil? In the universe of WH40k, being dogmatic is flawed but the best humanity has for the survival of the human species. Being permissive and understanding is not an option, it could lead (and it almost did) to total annihilation.
Because people keep using D&D alignment to describe shit. By D&D they are evil.
Also Evil is not automatically bad, LE for example is often used for people that want to achieve "greater good" but have no limits to try to achieve that. Like murdering all poor people and beggars so their middle class and rich can have a better life. Their goal is good for those groups of people, they just use a way that is wrong overall.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Sounds like my country's open door immigration policy.

babayaga

Educated

Because people keep using D&D alignment to describe shit. By D&D they are evil.
Also Evil is not automatically bad, LE for example is often used for people that want to achieve "greater good" but have not limits to try to achieve that. Like murdering all poor people and beggars so their middle class and rich can have a better life. Their goal is good for those groups of people, they just use a way that is wrong overall.
D&D evil is like a cool guy but he does drugs and steals, WH40k evil is like a psycho guy sacrifing your entire home planet to Slaanesh and sending billions into chaos for eternal torment.

notpl

Arbiter

Doing evil things for a logical reason is still evil. The point of the setting is that "good" isn't an option.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Played a benevolentia path for my 1st playthrough. Felt like a retarded cuck most of the time. Then i restarted and went for a dogmatic run, and ho boy. Much rejoicing

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom