Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer: Chaosbane - action RPG set in the Old World, from How to Survive dev

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Shame that the new class is another stinky Dwarf again. Tomb Kings are cool tho.

ColCol

Arcane
:necro:

On sale. So how is the combat? . I'm in an action rpg mood but I want something with a bit more impactful combat than the typical fare.

Silverfish

Arbiter
It's textbook 5 out of 10 stuff. If you're down with Diablo 3 but with less of everything, it's a decent way to kill a few hours.

ColCol

Arcane
It's textbook 5 out of 10 stuff. If you're down with Diablo 3 but with less of everything, it's a decent way to kill a few hours.

Are there any better alternatives? I mean, I kinda of want something more akin to this, with skillshots and the like.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Honestly, I couldn't say. I don't dive into the genre all that often, I tried Chaosbane because of its license more than anything.

ADL

Prophet
Guess I'm gonna try this out since I got it in Humble Choice this month. Any recent impressions? Steam News claims an extensive overhaul with the release of the (paid) Witch Hunter class.
https://www.humblebundle.com/subscription/january-2021

Edit: Played it for about twenty minutes, fifteen of which were cutscenes and exited immediately after seeing the skills. Consolized shit. Not sure exactly who the audience for it is because I'd recommend Diablo III or even Minecraft Dungeons as babby's first aRPG

Also they can go fuck themselves for selling XP boosts, gold boosts and base fragment boosts which are some sort of item used to boost equipment stats and get passives from the endgame systems.
https://store.steampowered.com/dlc/774241/Warhammer_Chaosbane/

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
Revisiting this because I found the Slayer Edition (base game plus all the content including Witch Hunter class) for $4.79 on fanatical and wanted to give it a chance once I wasn't being nickled and dimed on XP boosts and gold boosts among other stupid shit.

I'm a level 20 wood elf scout and I don't hate it. If you're playing it exclusively because of the Warhammer fantasy license specifically like I am, it's not bad. If you're playing it as a aRPG, I don't know why you'd be playing this instead of Last Epoch, Path of Exile, 40K Inquisitor Martyr (which is also on sale for super cheap at the moment) or Grim Dawn in that order.

Dr1f7

Scholar
got this full game for like $3 on fanatical too and tbh I like it better than d3 and PoE so far.. it certainly looks WAY better than both of those games. Some particular things that the game has going for it that nobody seems to mention:
  • the writing is just good old badass warhammer for dudes style, very comfy
  • the soundtrack is phenomenal. very grimdark gutteral and really does a great job setting the mood.. seriously heaping praises on the composer for this one because it's EXTREMELY rare for a soundtrack to hit the spot this well, and the style is quite unique
    • compare that to d3's "lol we'll just rip off a marvel movie or something" and poe's "uhh just ai generate some sounds nobody gives a fuck they all mute the music and listen to eurobeat anyway" soundtracks
  • again the game looks great esp. with the 4k textures
  • combat good, classes are very cool.. I've played with mage and engineer so far and both are nice, looking forward to trying soldier. game gives you a fun kit really early on

another example of a game that has a lot of love put into it that got a lot of probably undeserved hate from the "esports I want every game to have a 5 million hour skinnerbox grind endgame and absurdly complex skill tree that everyone just copy pastes a guide for anyway or else its TRASH" crowd

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
From what I gather it mostly received hate from "uhhh... I like good games" crowd. But I like your headcanon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom