Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Was KOTOR even worth a play?

Max Damage

Savant
If you're a Scoundrel you want to go 7 levels in for sneak attack + AC, only the 8th level is worth delaying.

Max Damage

Savant
I would prefer more force powers if the interface wasn't such a chore to scroll through them, you can get all the best ones even w/o saving levels anyway.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Other than making your spells more powerful, was there anything I really missed out on by spreading out my Light/Dark side points (i.e. story beats)? I finished the game near the middle because I refuse to succumb to a shit morality system in any BioWare game.

Max Damage

Savant
You get stuff like +Wisdom/Force Points or +Strength/Damage, depending on your jedi class, and force powers that are aligned to your side cost less to use (and vice versa).

Hagashager

Educated
I played Kotor 1 and 2 last year.

For K1 I treated myself a bit and attempted "Jedi From the Start". It works surprisingly well, but I learned the hard way that Jedi are quadratic in nature. Early levels are very hard without the cushion of your starting class.

Taris proved surprisingly rough for that reason.

Beyond that it was KOTOR as usual. I enjoy Kotor 1 in a junkfood sort of way. It just feels cozy to play.

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Other than making your spells more powerful, was there anything I really missed out on by spreading out my Light/Dark side points (i.e. story beats)? I finished the game near the middle because I refuse to succumb to a shit morality system in any BioWare game.
Light Side Mastery: +3 Strength (Jedi Guardian), +3 Constitution (Jedi Sentinel), +3 Charisma (Jedi Consular).

Dark Side Mastery: +1-8 (1d8) damage bonus (Dark Side Guardian), Poison Immunity (Dark Sentinel), +50 Force Points (Dark Consular).

Been awhile and felt like replaying the kotors back to back after reading this thread.

The first game does a very good job introducing you to the new time period Bioware was going for without wasting your time.

Taris as a tutorial planet works out much better than Peragus and Telos. I like the horror vibe they were working towards with Peragus but it doesn't reach where it needs to be, graphically it's too well lit and while there is a mod that makes it darker it never worked for me in the end. The second problem is that there isn't anything that's a big enough threat to pin that horror feel since it's a tutorial zone most of the enemies are terribly easy mining droids.

The companions in 1 are generally insufferable. Emotional soldier, bratty super speshul jedi, alien jailbait, a furry, another furry but with lightsaber, muscleman that barely has any character. The only amusing ones are Jolee and HK. The second game wins handily in this category.

I tried out the M4-78 droid planet mod since it got heavily updated since the last time I had played it many years ago. It's a much more expanded and smoother experience but it bloats the game too much and probably isn't worth more than 1 playthrough to see a concept of what could've been. I had the same feeling with the HK factory part of the TSLRCM, it's thematically good but after playing through a zone that's built around spamming combat encounters with a fairly weak character you start to see that it was wise to cut it.

The other thing I was thinking about after finishing kotor 2 was how much of the story was set up for a sequel with some sort of war with a mysterious out of galaxy threat pursued by Revan. How much we lost out on when Bioware took the reigns again with the story in the MMO the TORtanic and made an expansion centered around that unfinished plot and all the threat turned out to be is some old guy with a beard and emo sons bickering over another generic human empire.

Falksi

Arcane
The companions in 1 are generally insufferable. Emotional soldier, bratty super speshul jedi, alien jailbait, a furry, another furry but with lightsaber, muscleman that barely has any character. The only amusing ones are Jolee and HK. The second game wins handily in this category.
Ha, I'd not really thought about it when playing, but I like Bastila and find her voice very alluring, so she kept me ticking until I got Zalbaar, Joee and HK. Then I spent most the game with 2 of the latter 3, and Jolee and HK are all you ever need.

Hellraiser

Arcane
I also didn't level up on Taras, so I was rocking 18 levels of Consular. I force waved effortlessly through a large part of the game, too. Fun build.
That strategy i've heard about saving levels on Taris sounds pretty unorthodox and gimmicky through, what about the duel against Bendak Starkiller being underleveled?
I got through that fight a bunch of times with a level 2 character, it always boils down to using all the best stims, shields, grenades, swallowing a ton of medkits and reloading enough times for RNG Jesus to have mercy on you and just give you good dice rolls out of pity for one's powergaming autism.

DaveO

Erudite
As Bilbo said in Fellowship. Well, yes and no...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom