Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Now Live!

Closing in on 750k. Might hit 800k before the day is done.

Balance has been restored to the world... if just briefly.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Brian Fargo on Twitter:

You will most definitely get to create your entire party like Wasteland 1 or like Icewind Dale did (as an example).​

Glad he cleared that up!

Morkar Left

Wow, I just saw that no one at all has donated at the $2500 level and they put 100 of them out. It looks like that was a bit of a misstep in the kickstarter campaign. Going from $1000 -> $2500 for an "EXPLODED BLOOD SAUSAGE" is a pretty big jump, and the description just sounds repulsive if you don't know the reference

But this makes the blood sausage a very very rare collectors item. The limited edition numbered collectible coin will be rare, too as it seems at the moment.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
A nice snippet of info from Fargo's twitter:
You will most definitely get to create your entire party like Wasteland 1 and Icewind Dale did (as an example).
Full party customization. Very nice.

Whoops, got ninja'd. It's still very good news though.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
What I really like is that they're putting ALL of the money towards the game and not some stupid documentary like Double Fine.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hate to admit this but this whole process is quite addictive. I want to keep pressing F5 on the Kickstarter page constantly and keep giving to our own drive of a Codexian statue/ location! The amount of enthusiasm from the Codex is a little strange, to say the least, and actually believing that we will see an honest-to-god real turn-based cRPG made by the founder of Interplay is amazing!! It's all a bit surreal o_O.

Notorious

Augur
I hate to admit this but this whole process is quite addictive. I want to keep pressing F5 on the Kickstarter page constantly and keep giving to our own drive of a Codexian statue/ location! The amount of enthusiasm from the Codex is a little strange, to say the least, and actually believing that we will see an honest-to-god real turn-based cRPG made by the founder of Interplay is amazing!! It's all a bit surreal o_O.

It's like what 11 years? since we had an isometric open world RPG. I think a lot of people are excited about this, after ten years of an PC RPG dark age with very few exceptions...

Peter

Arcane
What I really like is that they're pull ALL of the money towards the game and not some stupid documentary like Double Fine.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to the documentary.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
What I really like is that they're pull ALL of the money towards the game and not some stupid documentary like Double Fine.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to the documentary.

It's fine, I guess. But if there's $250k of extra money I'd much rather see that go into the actual game.

Stabwound

Arcane
I agree, the whole thing is very interesting. It's awesome to see the CRPG community, even way outside of the Codex, come together for this.

I'm hopeful and excited about this because of what it could mean for the future of CRPGs. I sure as fuck hope Fargo and inXile don't drop the ball and release a complete pile of garbage after all of this.

7Vky9.jpg

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
According to Fargo's twitter they are "Leaning towards Isometric" as the viewpoint for the game, but haven't decided yet. I'm not totally sure what I'd prefer myself, I'd have to see some concept screens.

Stabwound

Arcane
Isometric isn't topdown. :decline:

But he says "We are leaning towards isometric but we want to show some screens in our forum for fan feedback. You guys are my new boss after all." Is he really going to develop it like that? The way the majority wants? If so, it will probably be isometric, and who knows what else. I'm not sure if designing the game completely how the fans want it is a good idea or not.

I've seen so many comments on the kickstarter page and elsewhere saying "I have no idea what Wasteland is but I love Fallout." Who knows if this would have even gone anywhere if it wasn't for the Fallout connection.

Peter

Arcane
Completely top down (ie GTA 1 and 2) usually looks pretty bad if isn't super abstract and lo-fi, like in the early Ultimas or Wasteland. I'm hoping for isometric, but SNES JRPG-style pseudo-top down (where you only see the 'front' and top sides of buildings/objects) would be pretty cool too, imo.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I liked FO1&2 and JA2's perspectives. I would prefer that to true top-down perspective. I suppose they could pull off something that looks really good in top-down perspective as well, so I can't dismiss that out of hand, but I would prefer something like FO1&2 or JA2.

Stabwound

Arcane
Isometric like FO 1 and 2 is okay, but if it's 3D with a rotating camera like Neverwinter Nights I'm going to fucking rage.

MMXI

Arcane
Completely top down kind of sucks. Ultima, Wasteland, The Magic Candle and other similar games weren't top down. They were tile based, and the tiles were square, but the images on the tiles represented objects at varying angles. That's why characters in Wasteland are viewed side on when the game seems top down.

The problem is, this sort of view doesn't work in games with good graphical quality. It looks way too disjointed and abstract for games with shader effects and particles. This is why a uniform angle that isn't top down, so isometric or something similar, would be a better option today. In other words, Jagged Alliance 2 or Fallout.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I liked FO1&2 and JA2's perspectives. I would prefer that to true top-down perspective. I suppose they could pull off something that looks really good in top-down perspective as well, so I can't dismiss that out of hand, but I would prefer something like FO1&2 or JA2.
Not to be confused with "Action-RPGs are what old RPGs wanted to be", but I really think isometric is a technologic step forward from top-down.

Livonya

Augur
Patron
Everything always comes back to JA2.

Every time I hear about a new game that sounds interesting I just imagine what it would be like if it was built using the JA2 engine.

It mystifies me that the development of JA2 style game engines stopped with JA2.

The graphics look a bit dated, there are some problems of course with JA2, but for actual game play I don't know if I have ever been more satisfied with a game engine.

If InXile were to build an engine that was essentially an updated JA2 game engine in 3D then they could crank out games with that engine for the next 20 years.

Seriously, the JA2 engine is so good, which is really sad because it should be a piece of history that shows how we got to something really great today, and instead it is the end of progress.

Just weird.

Stabwound

Arcane
Okay, yeah, literal top-down like GTA is nauseating and awful, but my gut reaction to "isometric" is thinking of something turdy like Neverwinter Nights.

I wouldn't mind something in the style of Ultima 4/5 and Wasteland, or modern roguelikes, and that's what I was expecting when he said "top down." Fallout-style, if done in 2D and not with a rotating camera, is cool.

Yeah, I concur, isometric all the way. Like Fallout 1 / 2 and Jagged Alliance 2. There is simply no other way. Also, I hope they know what they are doing, and that fan input will be limited. :D

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
$769,206 (85%)

So $900.000 will probably be reached tomorrow. Good night.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom