Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Now Live!

hiver

New video coming in today (friday).

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
At 2 mil, the game will have VO for every line by the original cast of Fallout including Richard Dean Anderson. Ron Perlman will narrate the intro: "Wasteland...Wasteland never changes...." As an added bonus CrispyPatrick Stewart and Malcolm McDowell from Bethesda GOTY's of 2006 and 2008 will make cameo appearances.

As for how much money they'll raise, well you have to start adding the paypal as well: it's almost 3,500 after a day or two. Won't be a gigantic amount, but should be noticeable. To get 2 mil they'll need less than 20000 a day...can be done. Don't know why they'd need much more than this anyway. If they really still need money after that then Brian has his own funds to use in an emergency.

What, MacGyver was in Fallout ??

hiver

already voted there. -
Up to four player-created characters, with a cap of 2 or so on extra recruits - for me.
Its well ahead of bioware option especially with first option included but i guess more votes wont hurt.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Uh oh. W2 better not reach two million. :M

The most common question now is what happens when we hit 2 million and above. First and foremost we hang our hat on the density of the experience the gamers get with a great RPG, and these monies continue to insure that happens. At 2 million we will increase the staff to make the game more social so that it can become a more shared experience. We like the concepts of dropping notes into the world for your friends who are playing the game, or perhaps we may allow you to send an item their way from Ranger center to help them out. We are fleshing out the ideas but intend to increase the social aspects of the game without diverting it from being an old school RPG and without hurting the balance.

Somebody's been playing Dark Souls

Stabwound

Arcane
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/posts

The most common question now is what happens when we hit 2 million and above. First and foremost we hang our hat on the density of the experience the gamers get with a great RPG, and these monies continue to insure that happens. At 2 million we will increase the staff to make the game more social so that it can become a more shared experience. We like the concepts of dropping notes into the world for your friends who are playing the game, or perhaps we may allow you to send an item their way from Ranger center to help them out. We are fleshing out the ideas but intend to increase the social aspects of the game without diverting it from being an old school RPG and without hurting the balance.

:what:

The fuck is this? Facebook integration?

Edit: too slow :smug:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
This "social gaming" thing sounds absolutely terrible! My goodness, didn't he make fun of this Farmville/ Facebook crap in his initial pitch video?!
It doesn't necessarily have to be "terrible". But I do think it's extraneous.

Reposting here what I've just written on NMA.

"Really not into the multiplayer thing. At $2m I want the single player to be enhanced. i really don't care about multiplayer and don't feel dev time and resources should be spent on it.

Others might disagree but this is the first major thing I'm not into with Wasteland 2. If this is an old school single player RPG, a sequel to Wasteland and spiritual successor to FO1 and 2... why are funds being spent on multiplayer... this has me concerned, to be honest. Sending items? That's so easy to break the balance, making the game harder for people who don't want to play online or with others. The balance will either favour people who play online, or offline -.Look at Dark Souls etc. I just don't want this shit in a single player RPG, particularly one I'm funding. Am considering dropping my pledge down to the minimum because of this. This has no place in a single player, old school RPG in the vein of FO and Wasteland, no place at all. If they HAVE to have multiplayer, don't force it into the single player experience. Make it a completely seperate mode.

Multiplayer forced into the singleplayer mode in the sequel to Wasteland. Sounds like the sort of thing a publisher would demand of a developer - exactly the sort of thing that I thought kickstarter was supposed to avoid.

Similarly, mod tools. Don't care for them. I want the best Single Player RPG experience - and only when that has been made as good as possible, should things like mod tools be looked at."

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This "social gaming" thing sounds absolutely terrible! My goodness, didn't he make fun of this Farmville/ Facebook crap in his initial pitch video?!

BF has a very limited budget no matter how much he has gone over the first $1M. Even considering putting money and resources into this kind of thing feels a little like a "slap in the face" to old school gamers whom he appealed to in the beginning. I mean, an online social aspect to Wasteland... really? It just feels so... I don't know... :pete:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

BF has a very limited budget no matter how much he has gone over the first $1M. Even considering putting money and resources into this kind of thing feels a little like a "slap in the face" to old school gamers whom he appealed to in the beginning. I mean a socially aspect to Wasteland... really? It just feels so... I don't know... :pete:

Could it be a way of simulating to some extent Wasteland's persistent world (which was due to the technical limitation of your data on disk getting overwritten)?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Man ,i can't wait to send invites to all my bros here through Facebook to watch me play W2, dropping notes with little gags and shit...

To be honest, he is saying that this would be totally optional, a salve for the Facebook fags I guess, though it seems a pointless waste of resources. More crucially he says that he'd prefer to create 'a robust set of tools...for making mods' so I think that will get priority at any rate.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
As much as I hate the idea of Facebook integration and all that crap, I think it depends on the scale they are planning. If it's something that would in any way divert funds or team members from SP? Scrap it and toss it into the incinerator. If it's a minor, optional thing that allows you to share information or have small posting on a bulletin board or something then it's not a big deal. Still, this is the first potential negative thing that has come out of this campaign so I'm ambivalent.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Man ,i can't wait to send invites to all my bros here through Facebook to watch me play W2, dropping notes with little gags and shit...

To be honest, he is saying that this would be totally optional, a salve for the Facebook fags I guess, though it seems a pointless waste of resources. More crucially he says that he'd prefer to create 'a robust set of tools...for making mods' so I think that will get priority at any rate.

That's the problem right there. This has a limited budget to begin with... why in the hell does he need to add this kind of crap? The game is already funded. You don't need to target the Facebook crowd!!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

That's the problem right there. This has a limited budget to begin with... why in the hell does he need to add this kind of crap? The game is already funded. You don't need to target the Facebook crowd!!

I really do think he's seen what Dark Souls did and thinks it's kinda cool. It's not about targeting crowds.

...except playing Dark Souls in offline mode means you only get about 60% of the game experience. Multiplayer is really cool, but it's also integral - players warn others about otherwise-insta-death traps, help out with bosses, join and create factions, bounty hunt etc. It's an integral part of the game. And it's not what a game like Wasteland 2 (or a spiritual Fallout 3) needs.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm sure Fargo means well, but giving those fucking new gen gaymers any tiny compromise is just leaving yourself open to a full scale assault by the derp brigade who will sniff the blood in the water and start to manipulate the direction of the game towards how they want it. We already are seeing it with the poll that has the Bioware style party system being uncomfortably close to the lead. Any mention of social network crap, no matter how benignly intentioned, can only be a curse.

Oh and Volly(snigger) don't 'codex gonna codex' us. We've seen enough warning signs over the years where good intentions were raped over and over again. Why the fuck should we suffer through more garbage? The popamole crowd already has 99.999% of the market! Why can't they just leave one fucking game for us????

I really do think he's seen what Dark Souls did and thinks it's kinda cool. It's not about targeting crowds.

Ah well you're one of the resident defenders of Derp Souls so can you tell the uninformed(like me) exactly what form this kind of thing takes in DS?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom