Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Now Live!

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
After reading the interviews, I was finally convinced and donated. I hope the extra money goes to further refining the gameplay, instead of animations, voice acting and supporting hipster platforms.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It got a bit better already:
stats.png

I wish the X-axis was adjusted to show time elapsed rather than being split evenly at measurements taken at irregular intervals. In its present state, the graph doesn't give an accurate representation of how many $/hr the game is accumulating.

http://ruinedkingdoms.com/wasteland2/

The rate is indeed in decline, reaching below $50k/day now. I think it was the same with Double Fine - does anyone have a proper graph of that one?

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Who really wants it to go much above 1.5 million? If all it is is just to make the game for other OSes then not much more would be needed. A few hundred thousand extra for contingencies is ok but too much money might make the devs try to overreach and just spend money for it's own sake. There's only so much they'll be able to do in a year with a small group anyway.

Regardless, it's falling off because Brian is sticking to his guns regarding the lack of gay romances and the desire to cater to the old gamers rather than the Bioware generation.

Maybe he should announce that he's making a new ending to Mass Effect 3?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It will probably end up at 1,7M or something like that, Fargo is working on a new video that might spark some interest, and all kickstarters always have a small burst of donation on the last days. Double Fine kept floating around 2,7M in the third week, then went all the way to 3,3M in the last days.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
It will be interesting to see if this will spike towards the end like Double Fine did, or how much if so.

Double Fine probably got extra benefit from the Wasteland 2 kickstarter coming online just as it was finishing. People who were pledging to Wasteland 2 decided to jump onto the Double Fine bandwagon and pledge enough to get their game for cheap.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm happy if it hits 1.5M, everything above is just a nice extra but I will not increase donation. Happy with getting a boxed version. Rather save some money on an eventual MCA kickstarter, or perhaps that Banner Saga thingie.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
The last update about giving 5% of their profit to other game kickstarters is pretty cool.

Fargo seems like an alright bro.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What I didn't like about that update is him talking in the 1st paragraph about consoles and touch devices! Instead of a definite "No" his update sounded to me like "well maybe but not now" or "we have to look into it further". Are the first cracks appearing in his initial vision.....?

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Remember, the thing is still funding and anybody can retract their pledge at any time. He has to be tactful and choose his wording carefully. I'm actually surprised by how much he is saying right now. P. Cool. I think we'll find him a bit more...verbose...after the money officially makes it's way to Inxile.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Remember, the thing is still funding and anybody can retract their pledge at any time. He has to be tactful and choose his wording carefully.

Sounds very "Industry PR" to me :eek:!! I just don't get this notion by some posting on Kickstarter and especially on the W2 boards (not you TwinkieGorilla ;)) that a niche game should even try to appeal to a larger audience... I thought that was the whole reason to go with Kickstarter in the first place!! That slippery slope is sure easy to slide down.......

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Right. But that's the thing. People are used to that. He cant' just say "Listen, consoletards...this isn't what you fucking think it is, it's for US so fuck off" which, trade a word here or there, is likely closer to what he'd actually like to say (probably not in that aggressive a way, but you get my point). No big deal. Nothing to get worked up about.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
And speaking of goodwill it occurs to me that we can harness the power of Kickstarter in a more meaningful way. Fan funding is bigger than me or Wasteland 2 as I have remarked before. The development community has come together to support us in ways that I didn't think possible and our power as developers will ultimately come from us sticking together. Both gamers and developers have so much more strength than they realize. But in order to help facilitate the power of crowd funding I am going to suggest that all of us that do utilize this form of financing agree to kickback 5% of our profits made from such projects to other Kickstarter developers. I am not suggesting taking a backers money and moving it to another project.. I mean once a game has shipped and created profit that we funnel that back into the community of developers to fund their dreams. I am tentatively calling this "Kick It Forward" and I will be the first to agree to it. In fact, I will have our artists create a badge that goes on all Kickstarter projects that agree to support this initiative. Imagine the potential if another Minecraft comes along via Kickstarter and produces millions of dollars of investment into other developers. This economic payback will continue to grow the movement way beyond the current system. I hope others will join me with this idea and make this a true shakeup.
I luv you Brain
8ouWa.png

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yup, also this nugget:
It would be a huge mistake to try and make
Wasteland 2
anything different than what fans want and expect. There is no way on earth a publisher would have funded making an old school party based tactical RPG so developers can be forced to cater to a different crowd. I can assure you there is no way that is going to happen here. I think making a classic RPG is high concept enough!

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Brian's plan of the kickback 1/20th of the profits to aspiring Kickstarter projects is quite commendable fucking awesome.

Here Brian, print this out and put it into your wallet::bro: , you've earned it.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
2012 may indeed be the end of something....the end of the decline. Maybe it won't make a major dent in EA, Activision and all the other scum, but that doesn't matter. The decline for us is personal, WE HAVE BEEN ABANDONED for so long. I don't give a fuck if CoD 17 sells 15 trillion copies to the brain dead so long as we get the games we want and maybe, just maybe this is the start of something. Even if Kickstarter dies now, the developers can see that we exist and that we can keep them existing and doing things they want, not what is mandated from above. They now will be able to find a way to get their games made in a real symbiotic relationship with gamers.

Brian really sounds like he's got a new lease on life. It reeks of him just going through the motions with inXile all these years, without enthusiasm, just doing what he had to to pay the bills and keep his people employed.

I BELIEVE!

:bro:

Stabwound

Arcane
I hope Wasteland 2 ends up a financial success as well as a being a very good game. I think he's being total legit with his words, but sure he's a little high from the success of the kickstarter campaign. People freely gave him $1,000,000+ in cash afterall.

Imagine being Fargo and having to kiss a publisher's ass to continue making a living if WL2 ended up being a failure after all of this.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
This settles it. 2012 is the end of the world.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom