Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Now Live!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ah well you're one of the resident defenders of Derp Souls so can you tell the uninformed(like me) exactly what form this kind of thing takes in DS?

Fuck if I know, I haven't played it. I'm not a defender of DS, I'm a defender of defenders of DS. :smug:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ah well you're one of the resident defenders of Derp Souls so can you tell the uninformed(like me) exactly what form this kind of thing takes in DS?

Fuck if I know, I haven't played it. I'm not a defender of DS, I'm a defender of defenders of DS. :smug:

So you're saying that something you've never seen in action is pretty cool? That's kind of like a reverse Skyway...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

So you're saying that something you've never seen in action is pretty cool? That's kind of like a reverse Skyway...

No, I'm saying I have confidence in my fellow Codexers who have played it and think it's pretty cool. If I didn't, this place wouldn't be worth sticking around in.

Anyway, I'm also interested in knowing what exactly DS does with this social aspect.

Multiplayer in Dark Souls.

Basically you wander through dungeons killing monsters. It's very tough and the combat is unforgiving. If you're online, other players can leave basic messages formed by selecting from a few words in the form of glowing runes on the ground - they say things like 'danger ahead', or 'secret below', and so on. These warn you of traps that otherwise would mean insta-death.

You can also see 'ghosts' of other players - eg you might see a ghost running ahead of you and then suddenly dying. This warns you of there being some kind of danger ahead.

You can 'invade' other player's games if you are of high enough level, allowing you to either PVP, or help out with bosses.

You can also join factions - joining secret factions like bounty hunters, which post jobs to kill players who are going round killing other players and so on.

It's really cool - but very integral to the game experience, if you play in offline mode you miss 40% of the game experience.

zeitgeist

Magister
The gist of it is that you can read signs on the floor left by other players, write your own for others to read, and you can attack/help other players or get attacked by them/have them help you in certain conditions.

The gameworld feels awfully empty and boring without those options, and it can be claimed that you're getting a significantly inferior experience by choosing to play offline.

hiver

That should be added later as an free dlc or just a patch.
Seems silly to spend resources on that now. Strengthen the game content first, then add everything that isnt needed now later on .

I could use some nice coop i guess but ... give me a great SP game, then sell it good based on that quality then add shit to it.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like this guys response over at the Wasteland forums:

God is Dog backwards wrote:
My response, which I've posted elsewhere:

"
"Really not into the multiplayer thing. At $2m I want the single player to be enhanced. i really don't care about multiplayer and don't feel dev time and resources should be spent on it.

Others might disagree but this is the first major thing I'm not into with Wasteland 2. If this is an old school single player RPG, a sequel to Wasteland and spiritual successor to FO1 and 2... why are funds being spent on multiplayer... this has me concerned, to be honest. Sending items to each other? That's so easy to break the balance, making the game harder for people who don't want to play online or with others. The balance will either favour people who play online, or offline -.Look at Dark Souls etc. I just don't want this sh*t in a single player RPG, particularly one I'm funding. Am considering dropping my pledge down to the minimum because of this. This has no place in a single player, old school RPG in the vein of FO and Wasteland, no place at all. If they HAVE to have multiplayer, don't force it into the single player experience. Make it a completely seperate mode.

Multiplayer forced into the singleplayer mode in the sequel to Wasteland. Sounds like the sort of thing a publisher would demand of a developer - exactly the sort of thing that I thought kickstarter was supposed to avoid. If Wasteland 2 goes multiplayer, gotta say, I'm probably dropping my pledge (and possibly dropping out altogether). It's not what I want in a single player RPG, and to be honest I'm really disappointed. Just who has been calling for multiplayer in their single player RPGs?"

Bottom line - if this feature goes ahead, I'm reconsidering my pledge and will certainly drop down a tier or two. I can get dumb multiplayer in the latest EA release. Has ANYONE been saying, 'what's missing from Fallout and Wasteland is some stupid social multiplayer'?

Pretty solid response.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
The gist of it is that you can read signs on the floor left by other players, write your own for others to read, and you can attack/help other players or get attacked by them/have them help you in certain conditions.

The gameworld feels awfully empty and boring without those options, and it can be claimed that you're getting a significantly inferior experience by choosing to play offline.
Minimalistic maybe. But not fucking boring.

The messages in Dark Souls range from: "Beware of trap" to "Tough fight ahead". It's nothing obtrusive, but it can spoil some things. 99% of the time I played Dark Souls offline because I prefered it that way. Fuck PvP imo.

Alex

Arcane
zeitgeist

I see. Thanks!

hiver

No problem. I wasn't being serious anyway. Watched the video now myself, it is pretty funny.

And I agree that they would better concentrate on the single player, but that message actually has a bright side, as it at least implies the gameworld is complex enough that exchanging notes is useful.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
...implies the gameworld is complex enough that exchanging notes is useful.

That's my worry. I want a pure offline, single-player designed gameworld, NOT one where a social-connection will be "useful" and time/ resources are taken away from the original core design.

I don't think you understood what Alex was trying to say. He's saying this feature implies that the single player world will be so complex, that note-passing between players will be helpful to some players.

mindx2

Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
...implies the gameworld is complex enough that exchanging notes is useful.

That's my worry. I want a pure offline, single-player designed gameworld, NOT one where a social-connection will be "useful" and time/ resources are taken away from the original core design.

I don't think you understood what Alex was trying to say. He's saying this feature implies that the single player world will be so complex, that note-passing between players will be helpful to some players.

No, no I understood perfectly. Where I'm concerned is that the core design with be "changed" to accommodate this new social aspect. From what I've read Demon Souls was designed around this and as such the core single-player part suffered. I don't want to run across a note saying "Yo mindx2, dude there are bandits up ahead! Later, your buddy Infinitron" No offense but I don't want you in MY game :p!

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Tim Schafer got more money than he needs for his simple and beaten-into-the-ground adventure game formula.

Brian Fargo needs a lot more money to pull off a Fallouty CRPG formula. He just doesn't know it yet, so he's all rose-cheeked and giddy.

Alex

Arcane
Infinitron

Yes, that is exactly what I meant.

By the way, this reminded me of something. I have always tackled these games solo (well I used to consult FAQs back when I was too stupid to realize that this basically took away any point in playing the game). However, one of the courses I had at uni had us building a compiler to create IF games out of a specification file. The professor there mentioned how back when he himself was a student, he and other students would exchange notes on the latest infocom game, like Zork or The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. This is way before my time, but I always wondered what it would be like playing a game like this. I wonder if this feature could bring something like this to Wasteland.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Fargo looks at forums, gets cold feet: http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=900&p=14206#p14205

Everyone remain calm....

There has been a lot of panic that any kind of element of sharing will ruin the classic old school RPG. I think some people are overreacting to the word "social" which I can kind of understand. But here is the bottom line. We will post a description of our thoughts in the forums and if YOU the fans still don't want it then we will not fight the majority. We can now get back to our normal shouting.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
InXile is going to make a post explaining what they want to do and have to community shoot it down if they don't like it:

Everyone remain calm....

There has been a lot of panic that any kind of element of sharing will ruin the classic old school RPG. I think some people are overreacting to the word "social" which I can kind of understand. But here is the bottom line. We will post a description of our thoughts in the forums and if YOU the fans still don't want it then we will not fight the majority. We can now get back to our normal shouting.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
InXile is going to make a post explaining what they want to do and have to community shoot it down if they don't like it:

Everyone remain calm....

You have to admit that this a a surprisingly stupid idea to bring up after talking up the oldschool elements of the game.

I mean, really?

mindx2

Patron

Everyone remain calm....

You have to admit that this a a surprisingly stupid idea to bring up after talking up the oldschool elements of the game.

I mean, really?

Especially after Fargo made fun of it (Farmville/ Angry Birds anyone?) in his pitch video!!

hiver

Also, when are they going to make a post about it? After kickstarter ends and I and many others cannot pull our money back?
When we will know exactly what combat will be?

Where is the vision document?

I mean, i do believe them so far but sudden shifts after the kickstarter finishes - and then having it up for votes on those forums where anyone can register is not my idea of wise investment.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
I felt a shiver go up my spine when I read that email.

If they do have this stuff, it better be optional and invite only.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom