Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #29: Inventory System Demo

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Got to say, I do wonder if the whole "Grid is Limiting" talk is about future console ports...
Nope. Getting it right on PC (all three of 'em) is the absolutely priority. If the backers (& PC market) aren't happy about it you might as well pack up. If it's a success then we can start thinking ports, though I don't know if the current console generation is all that attractive for this kind of game at all.
Then I'm curious, how come grid inventory is "limiting" ? List instead of grid does smell of consolitis...
Grid-based inventory has limited space. It's not a problem if you have only the basic item types (weapons, armor, potions), but if you have a shitload of components plus flavor stuff, you need more space. List-based inventory does work better, in my opinion, but icons - everyone's favorite feature - tend to take a lot of space too and limit the number of items you can see at once. I assume that's why they went with text and a separate window for the actual icons.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
There are already tabs for the different types of items. Tabs within tabs is even worse than that list.

But yeah, don't know how that list is better than a scrolling grid. If you have a window showing the item description then you don't need all that info next to it to justify the wasted horizontal space.

Pegultagol

Erudite
Yeah, a scrolling grid with some overlays depending on what tab is active to indicate which type of items one has would be cool. If it is trinkets then one could just place the item over top of each other with the small 'x' and the number to denote how many items are stacked on one space. I found Arcanum's simple sort ability to be pretty helpful, I guess human eyes are supposed to track similarities among various objects. If it is concerning lists and the problem of sheer number of icons then perhaps one could just use full windows file structure on them and make the icons (which you could assign) for expanding into lists. I am all for customizability here if nothing else.

As it is right now, Toxic's custom GUI is really good.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Yeah, Option C with a button to toggle the picture would be great.

ev9ude.gif
Brilliant!

This looks great. I don't know if it would be better, but when you click an item in inventory, the paper doll widget is replaced with the item's stats (if equipable, otherwise display "No Information" or what have you for canteens and old newspapers your OCD made you pick up), followed by the currently equipped item for that paper doll slot below that to compare the stats.

Zep--

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You should be able to right click to go back to the paperdoll.

grdja

Augur
You should put "show details about inventory item" button even further from the actual inventory. Anything else is pussyfag decline popamolle.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
The problem is i don't like where the detailed image of objects is placed, now you have a one color items in inventory that look cheap as hell and you just toss them around with your cursor in fact your just tossing a shadow image of the objects, why ? why can't they follow fo1 inventory where you see the pistol how it is colorful and shit and you move it and it feels real like your really moving it not just moving a cheap shadow image of the object.
This. Seriously, who thought a single color for all items was a good idea? When has it ever been? It makes no sense... :(

hiver

Yeah, there's a character screen already... that text has no place here.

Got to say, I do wonder if the whole "Grid is Limiting" talk is about future console ports... HUGE DECLINE & BETRAYAL if so.
The grid is not fuking limiting in any way.
Especially since they just make an empty unexplained statement that "it is limiting" but never explain how or why.

Also, tabs.

Also - that screen with the 3D character visual needs to fuck out off the main inventory window.

Which would mean more space for the inventory itself and icons and paper doll section and explanations, and info - AND STATS AND EVERYTHING THAT SHOULD MATTER... in the bloody inventory screen.

Which is NOT a character screen.

Other PC games have used a list inventory. One comes to particular mind in this case... What was it called? Oh, right, Wasteland. :D
That is not the reason they put it here.

If it was so they would say it. Instead there is some fake statement about grid and proper icons being... limiting.

tindrli

Arcane
The problem is i don't like where the detailed image of objects is placed, now you have a one color items in inventory that look cheap as hell and you just toss them around with your cursor in fact your just tossing a shadow image of the objects, why ? why can't they follow fo1 inventory where you see the pistol how it is colorful and shit and you move it and it feels real like your really moving it not just moving a cheap shadow image of the object.
This. Seriously, who thought a single color for all items was a good idea? When has it ever been? It makes no sense... :(

bethesda did ... and it sucked

images

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Too many colors ==> Codex complains that graphics are too cartoony

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yeah... no.

1. You have to know how to use the colors. Not just throw them at the screen.
2. The complaints about being cartoony were not because of too many colors but because of too strong colors and flat (too few details) textures.

That new screen about that airplane settlement looks good to me. I'm satisfied with the fucking graphics. What I want now is good systems (character, combat, diversity, replay-ability, reactivity), dialogue, c&c and interesting quests and locations to explore. And a nice, large game. Not a 8-10 hours console game. But I think in a few months a lot of the Codex will have beta access, so we'll have a lot more info is it bland, boring, soulless shit, or a real Wasteland and Fallout successor and a revival of the glorious isometric crpgs.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Warning: contains graphic images unsuited for InXile employees

There is clearly some cheeki breeki going on here, it doesn't even use the whole screen.
zjZBYX.jpg

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Nope grid totally unsuitable. More than 8 items at the same time is too confusing.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Here, I'll cross-post from GD and show you another inventory screen with colors and semi-sensible grid handling. Warning: Flash graphix (though oddly Fallout-like - or should I say Fallout-Boy-like?), shield your sensitive eyes.

NVCTZV.jpg

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Eh, the attachments for bags are a good idea. Better yet if you have some alternatives, like a rocket launcher instead of the backpack for instance.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Went back to playing around with the inv a bit. I think I'd actually prefer this layout:

2vkm1ig.jpg

There's still space for additional functionality, and you have char select as close to the items as possible for easy swapping. The inv list is still at full size, yet the charscreen and item descriptions don't need to be merged.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
There's no reason to drop it, even if they wanted to make a grid it would take zero effort to offer a toggle between the two

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom