Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 to use Unity

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
You see before you
99 berserkers,
99 berserkers,
99 berserkers and
99 berserkers

You're not getting this even if the engine could handle it (taking your word that it can't).

goblins.jpg

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
villain of the story says...
Last I gave it a try, even primitive tech demos were horribly slaggish. C4 was known as a feature rich engine with poor rendered and documentation from very early on.

I forgot about this quote. Poorly rendered? It's the only really correct renderer with zero artifacts I've ever seen. Every other engine I've ever used had some issues with some part of rendering you had to work around.

His information is very dated and inaccurate. I think he might be trolling. :)

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
He's just a typical Unity fanboi. I've seen him and a few others praising its glory on the Codex, plus some spambots.

You don't need any facts, or to know how to program. You just need to look at the videos. The cool, cool videos. OMG. These videos get made in a week but there's never a game 3 years later. Why's that? It almost implies being able to make a quick protoype of a FPS on a FPS engine is a really a small and unimpressive part of making a real game or something, which can't possibly be right.

I'm not anti Unity myself. I tried it among other engines, but it was not for me. I think most of the top engines are a good fit for someone out there.

But I do think C4 deserves a lot more credit than it is getting. The only reason it is relatively unknown, is due to its lack of financial muscle in the marketing department. And anyone who talks about renderers instead of API, isn't someone I'd take very seriously. API is what helps you make that big complex game, renderers will improve right up until your game is released.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
Unity + Prosper. It can only be good.

Fix'd

Early 2012. Codex learns about W2 kickstarter, money is raised, well known figures are praised and Incline sees the light of the day.
A few months later Codex learns about Unity engine being used in the upcoming title.First words of criticism appear and talk can be heard on the street....why this....why that, but faith still remains strong.
Late 2012.Fargo is cutting costs even further, MCA goes back to Obsidian, a few artists and coders are fired.Codex starts to wake up.
Early 2013.Fargo says that in this current day and age W2 is deemed for failure, Unity engine cannot hold a good isometric RPG type based game, thus the decision of salvaging what is left and creating a FPS that will create some revenue.
Release date, W2 is a total failure as an FPS, Codex claims it to be 'good for what it is'.Reviewers praise it for 'emotional engagements' and 'social interactions' especialy liking the 'browser and social sites integration' into the in-game Ranger communicator.
Fargo is removed from Codex and takes his rightfull place as the new Kingpin of Kickstarter.

kingpin-final.png

Oh man, that three scripting languages shebang is a complete mess.
C4 world editor gives me strong GTKRadiant (Quake-Source engine map editor) vibes, so after my book and website, i'll definitely use it for a simple FPS game. Dunno of its capabilities for complicated RPG-like projects, but solid C++ and accessible source pair is always a good start :thumbsup:

MCA
I'm resting my case. One idiot obsessed about fucking HUDs and GUIs with a mouthful of made up shortcomings and a diatribe about browser implementations, another one on a pride about gimmick features and 10 years old now-obsolete concerns about tools.

If anyone here can take either of these morons seriously, I will just pity him/her.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
C4 world editor gives me strong GTKRadiant (Quake-Source engine map editor) vibes, so after my book and website, i'll definitely use it for a simple FPS game. Dunno of its capabilities for complicated RPG-like projects, but solid C++ and accessible source pair is always a good start :thumbsup:

The full source to Eric's 31st game, comes with the library. If you are a competent C++ programmer and you know the C4 API well, you could convert his game into a first person RPG engine, with little mental challenge.

Unfortunately you only have permission to use it, as an example of how to make your games the correct way. However he did say, we can copy parts of his code to use in our games, so its a bit of a grey area.

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
Fargo is probably trying to give us the illusion that he is working, until he finds a house on some remote island to run away with the money.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I'm resting my case. One idiot obsessed about fucking HUDs and GUIs with a mouthful of made up shortcomings and a diatribe about browser implementations, another one on a pride about gimmick features and 10 years old now-obsolete concerns about tools.

If anyone here can take either of these morons seriously, I will just pity him/her.

Actually, as opposed to you who can just show some random videos without having any idea what's going they actually seem to know what they're talking about. I don't know who Drocon is (maybe he's really drog), but Davaris actually worked on games. Maybe they exaggerate, maybe they're not up-to-date, but anyone who's not braindead wouldn't take a "LOOK PURTY PICTARES MAENS ENGIEN IZ GUD!!!!" guy more seriously.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
If they were serious about it they would have made/updated their own tech.
Easier said than done. How long did it take Obsidian to develop their engine? As for updating their own tech, either it's owned by publishers or has too many limitations.

But picking the jankiest of jank engines i can't scratch that niggling feeling in the back of my skull that this game really will be produced quickly, and on the cheap.
You should have had that feeling when Fargo promised the game in 18 months.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Maybe they should just hire millions of monkeys and buy millions of typewriters.
Nah, who am I kidding? I know they are going to deliver.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Granted, half the game assets and entire framework came from FO3 but it took Obsidian one and a half year to develop FNV. That, despite having to learn the system.
There is a huge difference between learning a 'ready to use' engine with all the systems and assets and working with an 'off the shelf' engine that has nothing.

MCA
Indeed. One common thing I recall from interviews with various developers over the years is that it's usually harder and takes more time to learn all the ins and outs of somebody else's engine than developing your own from ground up, knowing all aspects, flaws and shortcomings of it as you build it.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Which is why RPGs developed from the ground up usually take twice as long. Because it's easier and takes less time.

koyima

Educated
Just registered here to say that you guys: don't know shit!

Some facts about Unity:

- Unity is the engine that brought game engines to the masses with it's cheap pricing scheme. Before Unity, Unreal only had "buy me for a million bucks".
- Unity is the engine that brought multi-platform support to become a standard. They started on Mac and currently offer: PC, Mac, iOS, Android, PS3, XBOX 360, Wii, Web, NativeCL and Flash.
- Unity is considered one of the 3 big ones, including: Unreal and CryEngine as stated by the guys making Unreal and CryEngine during interviews.

Some other stuff that might interest you:

- Unity has a very efficient art asset pipeline - Easier than both CryEngine (which is tailored more to 3dsmax) and Unreal which has limits on how characters have to be constructed for instance.
- Unity offers scripting in 3 languages: C#, UnityScript and Boo - So no limits to what you can script. CryEngine is adding C# support as we speak. Unreal is looking into how it can make it's scripting pipeline as fast as Unity's.

Beyond the already provided awesome features, in the works are:

- The new GUI system, which will make it easier to make animated UIs. Beyond that there are already 3 commercial grade GUI solutions. Scaleform is also getting a Unity version and it's easy as hell to write your own.
- DirectX 11 support - for all the awesome graphics features PC users want.

On other issues mentioned

- Unity supported both Rochard to get on the PS3 and Shadowgun to get the most out of the iOS, both are beautiful.
- Linux has always been discussed on the Unity forums and up until now there wasn't a real test case for them, nor a market need.
One of their goals is to support as many platforms as possible (as a business they have to focus though).
- Unity has more than a million registered developers and a FREE version for commercial use, this is the reason you have seen a lot of "not-so-good" games made with it.
- Unity has been used on game prototypes made by 14 year olds, to full scaled MMOs. EA, Square Enix and bunch of devs are using Unity on various projects.

Non-Unity related issues:

- Making an engine from scratch for a game in this day an age of shrinking budgets, is not really an option, unless your game has some feature that is not possible in any other engine, your
best option is to use a tried and tested solution. Simply because you don't need additional risk.

- Unigine was a graphics engine up until recently. Look for a list of Unigine released titles, please post it when you do. Even their success stories section features just one project.

- I have witnessed first hand that it is actually easier to learn an Engine, any egnine, even with limited documentation, than build one yourself. If someone says otherwise, they are
seriously underestimating said Engine or overestimating their ability to produce something that has taken over 10 years to reach this level within the timeline of one game. Basically they
are saying they can do something 5x times as fast with 1/3 of the development team (best case scenario), yep those were the guys at school that said they had a helipad under their pool.

This is a Unity Game List:
http://unity3d.com/gallery/made-with-unity/game-list

These are some Making-of style articles on Unity Games:
http://unity3d.com/gallery/made-with-unity/profiles/

Feel free to ask any questions and I would happily answer, though I would suggest using Google instead of posting what amounts to ~zero real info up until now.

Koyima

http://www.darkopolis.com

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I DON"T KNOW WHO TO BELIEVE ANYMORE! :rage:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom