Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Thinking about Swen Vincke's D:OS 2 postmortem, how its development was writers' (and testers') hell because of the complexity comes from the mix of C&C narrative, dynamic systems, and co-op. It makes me think it (at least partly) explains the successive departures of FIVE writers for WL3, the lack of KS updates, and likely delays.

Well, :salute: for new senior writer.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

FeelTheRads

Arcane
At the same time:

Wonder what this means for this game.

Couple of years ago it was Kickstarter and the awesome backers instead of Microsoft that were making an awesome future for inXile.

And in a couple of more years, they'll ban Microsoft from their press releases.

hexer

Fargo comes from a family of bankers.
Whoever has the money is his best friend and is making his future awesome.
I still remember how he trademarked name Van Buren while we were developing Van Buren Fallout fan project after somebody from this forum told him about it :lol:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
After the zone designs were done, we moved into full production, when we were writing first drafts of all the dialogue in the game. Our writers for that phase were Gavin, Colin, and Cassandra Khaw, with some help from Thomas Beekers and me. Nathan Long joined us when his work on BT4 was complete. As that phase came to an end and the heavy-duty writing wound down, Gavin, Colin, and Cassandra left for other studios.

Now we’re in an iteration and polish phase, so we need additional writers to revise dialogue, handle narrative changes and additions we’re making,

"Different needs" huh.

I dunno, it seems awfully concerning to me when most of the main writers of a project leave and all their work gets script doctored by new hires.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
After the zone designs were done, we moved into full production, when we were writing first drafts of all the dialogue in the game. Our writers for that phase were Gavin, Colin, and Cassandra Khaw, with some help from Thomas Beekers and me. Nathan Long joined us when his work on BT4 was complete. As that phase came to an end and the heavy-duty writing wound down, Gavin, Colin, and Cassandra left for other studios.

Now we’re in an iteration and polish phase, so we need additional writers to revise dialogue, handle narrative changes and additions we’re making,

"Different needs" huh.

I dunno, it seems awfully concerning to me when most of the main writers of a project leave and all their work gets script doctored by new hires.

If Ziets left and someone else was taking over for him, that would be very worrisome. But do you really think it's a problem that someone other than Colin McComb is revising Colin McComb's work? Considering his track record, that seems like a good idea to me. What about Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie of Diablo 3, Wildstar, Horizon Zero Dawn and TTON fame? Not the greatest resume, and anyone Larian would hire for a full time writing position is immediately suspect. I love Cassandra the cannibal, but she's a newb.

I'm less concerned that they left and more concerned that this was the main writing team for Wasteland 3. If Ziets still has his mojo as narrative lead, it'll be fine. If not, the game is fucked either way.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Fargo comes from a family of bankers.
Whoever has the money is his best friend and is making his future awesome.
I still remember how he trademarked name Van Buren while we were developing Van Buren Fallout fan project after somebody from this forum told him about it :lol:
rflNExf.png

1qIOV5b.png

DHBntK1.png
7YUV9m7.png

vWqQGSr.png

Brian Fargo: Believing His Lies Since 1985

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
WOW: https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3/updates/914

Building Up the Ranger Force
POSTED: 05/14/2019

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2019%2F05%2F14%2F82d7f6d6-e0a1-478a-8d0f-84a6b8e5a16b

Communications Wasteland
It’s been a while since our last update, and that’s because we’ve been hard at work on Wasteland 3, and getting a lot of the core pieces of the game in-place. As we’ve said before, the game is effectively playable from start to finish—but there’s still a megaton of work left to go. Sure, you can complete quests and navigate most of the areas, but this is the most time-intensive stretch of the project. We have the bones—the skeleton is there—but it’s filling it with all the sinew, cartilage, and guts that really make the Wasteland experience what it is. Things are really shaping up, but the most critical work is just getting started. We’ve been hiring and growing the company, as well as putting a lot of the new Microsoft development resources to good use, and that’s going to help us be able to make Wasteland 3 even bigger and better.

We’ll have development updates to share during E3, so look forward to our next update with more specifics then.

Face to Face in the Wasteland
As you saw in our Fig campaign launch trailer, Wasteland 3 is the first game in the series to feature a cinematic conversation system. It gets you up close and personal with the big story characters you’ll encounter in Colorado, and one of those is MacTavish. He’s a coarse, blustering mechanic in Colorado Springs, who wears a luchador mask because . . . well . . . you’ll have to wait and see.

In this update we wanted to share some of the process that’s going into bringing this character to life. First it starts with a character pitch or write-up, and from those largely text-based descriptions the artists work up concepts and shape studies to hone on in a final look and design for the character’s appearance and style. In an effort to not spoil too much we’ll skip ahead a bit to his final concept piece.

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2019%2F05%2F14%2Fdd4bbbff-b384-4c94-96e5-e3ed193f4a9b

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2019%2F05%2F14%2Ffc06f2d6-f265-4bdd-a971-a2ce27d2f03c

Once we have a concept done we’ll move on to a high-poly model like this one, which we’ll break down into the pieces that will help give it a high quality appearance in-game, but without requiring a super-computer to render. After that comes mocap, and then the voice recording we’ve done is married to that with final animations.

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2019%2F05%2F14%2F1ad0b01e-6736-4201-b4b8-e47071947002

This is a look at his masked face model, which isn’t too far from what you’ll see in-game. We’ll have more to share on MacTavish in the future, as well as the creative process for bringing some of our other characters to life.

Get Locked In
As we get closer to the game’s release, it’s a good time to remind everyone who hasn’t yet to complete and lock in your backer surveys for Wasteland 3.

If you already have, then you’re all set. If you haven’t and aren’t sure where your backer survey is, you can have CrowdOx email it to you again by clicking here.
  • Scroll to the bottom
  • “Did you miss or lose the link to complete your Survey? Retrieve it here.”
  • Click on “Retrieve it here” to have CrowdOx email you your backer survey
  • When it arrives in your inbox (also be sure to check junk folders), the instructions in the email will take you through the process
The Lighter Side of the Post-Apocalypse
Over the last few months we’ve had a few fun Wasteland-themed holiday posts. In case you missed them, here’s what we got up to.
Don’t forget to follow us on social media at @inXile_ent, Ranger HQ Facebook, and YouTube for these and other updates.

Game Recommendation Corner
If that post-apocalyptic gaming itch is one you just need to scratch right now, our colleagues SoCal neighbors at Armor Games released a game that we’ve been enjoying, an indie gem from solo Polish developer Scriptwelder called Don’t Escape: 4 Days to Survive.

It's an adventure game with our kind of hook: "Survive through four days at the end of the world in this post-apocalyptic point-and-click thriller where your choices could keep you alive... or not."

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2019%2F05%2F14%2F6a115e09-0a5b-4a22-bee9-5479d6c8a9d6

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2019%2F05%2F14%2F69b3f320-34da-4bfb-9d40-e440f22cf45d

Wasteland 2 Nintendo Switch Physical Edition
Do you love having a physical game box in your hands? Are you an owner and lover of handheld console entertainment system? Then you’re going to go bonkers for Wasteland 2: Director’s Cut, now available for the Nintendo Switch in physical form.

Look Forward to E3!
Thank you for your patience as we continue development and work toward more consistent backer updates. To restate it again: we’re committed to our backer promises, and you can expect the Steam and GOG versions of the game on launch day. No store exclusivity.

We’re looking forward to sharing more with you during E3!

Follow Us:

Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Silentstorm

Learned
Meh, at this point i am waiting more for the remaster of Wasteland 1, just because that game is one i know isn't bad, and i want to see what a second remaster would improve.

Meh, what am i saying, i will probably buy this game anyways, i will just likely wait for a while for the director's cut version, i mean, Wasteland 2 had enough problems it warranted one, Bard's Tale IV is getting one in the future due to it's state at release, i am pretty sure that at this point, Wasteland 3 will need a big update or new versions after release.

getter77

Augur
No update is going to resonate all that much until they finally shine a light on how character building and progression is going to play out this time around after what happened with WL 2---even the DC wasn't anywhere near enough on the systemic fundamentals.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's not just a joke - the plot hook of Wasteland 3 is the Rangers being invited to Colorado to settle a succession crisis. It's been so long that it's easy to have forgotten.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Somebody refresh my memory

In what way were the Bischoff brothers involved with Wasteland 3 and its aesthetics?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom