Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Retcon Raider

Literate
Huh, they actually included the Godfishers. I saw them in some of the very early concept art, but kind of assumed they hadn't made it into the final game.

They're weird and gross.

It's also amusing to see that they're not even trying to hide the 3 new CNPCs in this one. They edited the previous two videos to avoid focusing or lingering on them, but they're front and center this time around.

One interesting note is that Jodie seems to be hanging out in one of the Custom Ranger slots. I was working under the impression that the squad was locked to 4 Custom and 2 CNPCs. This hints that it might be a little more flexible, possibly allowing for up to 4 CNPCs at a time.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
One interesting note is that Jodie seems to be hanging out in one of the Custom Ranger slots. I was working under the impression that the squad was locked to 4 Custom and 2 CNPCs. This hints that it might be a little more flexible, possibly allowing for up to 4 CNPCs at a time.

Does the game not allow you to have all the Ranger PCs die so you can go with an all-companion party?

Retcon Raider

Literate
Does the game not allow you to have all the Ranger PCs die so you can go with an all-companion party?

I'm not sure. There are only 2 companions available in the Beta, so I've never had a chance to try it. The Dev Diaries are the first time I've seen a squad sporting 3 CNPCs simultaneously. In this case, it looks like Jodie, Scotchmo, and Victory.

Though I suppose it's also possible that Jodie is a special type of CNPC, like the emergency backup rangers from WL2. You could only recruit those guys if you had lost some of your original custom rangers.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ah, finally:

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3/updates/1258

Wasteland 3 Dev Diary #3

Player reactivity is the hallmark of a great roleplaying game, and Wasteland 3 is doubling down on choice and consequence. Brian Fargo and Senior Writer Nathan Long cover the depth and breadth of that reactivity, and how the game is being designed to respond to however players choose to play.

You’ll be directing the story and action in this expansive tactical RPG when it releases August 28 on PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Finally, a new article: https://www.gameinformer.com/2020/06/10/why-fallout-fans-should-be-excited-for-wasteland-3

Why Fallout Fans Should Be Excited For Wasteland 3

Throughout the ‘90s, Brian Fargo was eager to create a sequel to his 1988 post-apocalyptic RPG, Wasteland. There was just one problem: Electronic Arts owned the rights. More importantly, EA wasn’t interested in funding a Wasteland sequel. In 1997, Fargo and his team at Interplay Productions got so tired of waiting on EA that they released a spiritual successor to Wasteland called Fallout. Over the years, Fallout has grown into a massive franchise of its own, which is now owned by Bethesda. However, the two series still share much of the same DNA. If you’re eager to play another game in the vein of the classic Fallout titles, then look no further than Wasteland 3.

“People don't often realize it, but the Wasteland franchise precedes Fallout,” says Wasteland 3’s game director Tim Campbell. “But now that we've had a resurgence of the Wasteland franchise, there is a perception that Wasteland is kind of like Fallout, and it's funny to think that it is actually the other way around.”

On August 28, inXile will release Wasteland 3. Much like the early Fallout titles, in Wasteland 3 players explore the remnants of a world slowly rebuilding after nuclear annihilation. Players control a faction of Rangers tasked with settling disputes and establishing order in a lawless dystopia. Fans of early Fallout titles may feel at home as they manage a team of up to six survivors through tactical firefights and make decisions that have lasting consequences on the narrative. Wasteland 3 even features a dark, absurd sense of humor, much like the Fallout series.

wasteland3_beta_screenshot_2.jpg
wasteland3_beta_screenshot_1.jpg
wasteland3_beta_screenshot_3.jpg

“One of the things we've tried to do in getting back to the roots of Wasteland is really emphasize the mood,” Campbell says. “We've tried to emphasize the darkness and the dark humor that goes along with it. I think there's definitely a vibe difference between Wasteland and Fallout. Our emphasis is on tactical combat. Our emphasis is on parties. Our emphasis is on a lot of things that may have been true about the early Fallout games, but are different than the Fallout franchise that people experience today. We support some pretty extensive world reactivity based on player choices. We have radically different endings based on thousands of lines of dialogue that literally changed based on decisions you make in a split second.”

If the team at inXile prides itself on anything, it’s in creating a rich world for players to explore. Wasteland 3’s characters encounter a lot of tricky situations, but there is rarely ever one way to solve a given problem. Players can sneak, fight, or talk their way out of most situations or explore a mix of all three. Many of the survivors you meet in Wasteland 3 are morally ambiguous, and the choices they force on you aren’t black or white. Every decision you make has consequences because whenever you side with one faction, you also gain their enemies. Wasteland 3’s pillars probably sound familiar to fans of the Fallout series, but anyone hungry for a rich post-apocalyptic world full of tactical, turn-based combat might want to give Wasteland 3 a closer look.

“Wasteland 3 represents the type of game that the original Fallouts came from – that model of tactical, turn-based role-playing with a party of characters that you create and customize into a working unit,” Campbell says. “For fans of the early Fallouts, I think this is their cup of tea. If they play it, they'll be really surprised by how close it matches what they nostalgically remember. If you're a fan of post-apocalyptic settings in general – maybe you haven't even played Fallout but you enjoy those movies or books – then this setting has something for you. This is something that will stand out for those who give it a try, and I think they'll be pleasantly surprised.”

Not a very interesting one though.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Get a bigger look at the crazy factions that make up the violent wastelands of Colorado in Wasteland 3 - including the Patriarch's Marshals, The Gippers, The Hundred Families, The Refugees, and many more.

It’s been six years since Wasteland 2, but the post-apocalyptic RPG is back. This Wasteland 3 trailer shows us more about the game’s Colorado setting, and the trailer also functions as a pretty good Wasteland 3 gameplay trailer, as it shows off some of the game’s combat mechanics.

Be sure to check out Wasteland 3 on PC, Xbox One, and Playstation 4.

Note the appearance of Wasteland 1 character (and Brian Fargo self-insert) Faran Brygo at 0:24.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Sorry, no contest here, Ronald Reagan Ai, Reagan riding velociraptors and lasor firing Reagan transformer statue, I already made my choice. :lol: Anyway, will wait to see if this thing is worth a buck, if it is playable, I will check it out. What is interesting is that on Wasteland, retarded shit like that could work but the key of "wacky" humor is that the line and just plain retardation is a thin line. you need something relatable, if the world is weird, the characters must not be weird, if the characters are weird, the world must not, if everything is weird and "wacky", nothing makes sense, things stop being funny and become frustrating.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail was funny because the world was serious, the characters motivations were serious, it is just what happened was completely bonkers and the contrast of the seriousness of the characters with the bonkers events made it even funnier. If the characters on that movie had a "dont take this shit serious " attitude with illogical motivations and inconsistent world building, it would just be a bunch of retarded random events.

The rest dont interest me that much, the Patriarch's children all look like generic try hards with alot of questionable writing involved.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The key of "wacky" humor is that the line and just plain retardation is a thin line. you need something relatable, if the world is weird, the characters must not be weird, if the characters are weird, the world must not, if everything is weird and "wacky", nothing makes sense, things stop being funny and become frustrating.
To be fair, the original Wasteland wasn't even a "comedy game" - not at all. It had a lot of weirdness, some throwaway easter eggs, some joke characters - basically the devs were goofing around with a lot of it which created a very specific flavor. One gets the sense that they didn't SAY at the beginning, "Let's make an RPG that is funny." They just made a game and didn't take the setting seriously at all, and that's how it turned out. Wasteland certainly struck the balance between serious and silly that you talk about (without even trying), and I think Wasteland 2 attempted to toe that line as well. It didn't truly fail imo, but there was no way to reasonably expect it could capture that same unique taste. Leaving aside the years in between, the changes in personnel, and the changes in perspectives of those few who worked on both projects - the effortless nature of Wasteland's "let's throw something together" and the necessarily deliberate "let's try to recreate that" of Wasteland 2 were obviously going to have distinct differences in the results.

To me, W2 succeeded in being funny sometimes, largely because they stuck to the original concept of the Rangers as "straight men". If they did the same thing here I think W3 will at least have more hits than misses.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Sorry, no contest here, Ronald Reagan Ai, Reagan riding velociraptors and lasor firing Reagan transformer statue, I already made my choice. :lol: Anyway, will wait to see if this thing is worth a buck, if it is playable, I will check it out. What is interesting is that on Wasteland, retarded shit like that could work but the key of "wacky" humor is that the line and just plain retardation is a thin line. you need something relatable, if the world is weird, the characters must not be weird, if the characters are weird, the world must not, if everything is weird and "wacky", nothing makes sense, things stop being funny and become frustrating.

There is no need to guess: Wasteland 3 is plain retardation.

However for me the biggest problem is the clown world: too many colors and too much neon for an post-apocalyptic environment.

There is no place for serious themes in this kind of world and that's why they focus on cringy humor and mediocre combat.

I think this will be worse than W2.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

However for me the biggest problem is the clown world: too many colors and too much neon for an post-apocalyptic environment.

There is no place for serious themes in this kind of world and that's why they focus on cringy humor and mediocre combat.

Have you played or watched the beta?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Have you played or watched the beta?

Not completely. Why?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Because it starts with an exceptionally brutal, "serious" scenario. But some people seem to prefer to ignore the game they can actually play and instead cherry pick moments from trailers so they can keep repeating "Wasteland 3 is neon cringe wacky killer clowns, it's gonna suuuuuuck!". I just don't see it.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Because it starts with an exceptionally brutal, "serious" scenario. But some people seem to prefer to ignore the game they can actually play and instead cherry pick moments from trailers so they can keep repeating "Wasteland 3 is neon cringe wacky killer clowns, it's gonna suuuuuuck!". I just don't see it.

Ignore me. Please enjoy your cheap XCOM clone in a world which makes no sense.

I look forward to the codex's thrilling review.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Ignore me. Please enjoy your cheap XCOM clone in a world which makes no sense.

I look forward to the codex's thrilling review.

I'm not saying the game is going to have 0% wacky content. But I do think it will likely end up coming across as more serious than Wasteland 2 because of the overarching family drama plot with the Patriarch. It's a more coherent framework than Wasteland 2's "wander from town to town randomly running into robot agents" story. The idea that this game is Wasteland 2 but with even more neon clowns wtf are they doing just seems unsupported by the evidence.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Interesting factions trailer tbh. It looks and feels alot more vibrant and "fun" than WL2, which was more akin to the old tropes and dirty roads like fallout.

They seem to be embracing the zany and wackiness of the wasteland universe much more in WL3, than before, which I actually like.

Lots hope they dont go too overboard with the wacky stuff, but just enough to keep you entertained throughout.

I'm sure the game will be loads of fun

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom