Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland vs Fallout

xrm1

Educated
There is also a mediocre Wasteland sequel, Fountain of Dreams.

It is not as good and kinda short but still better than crap like The Fall.

obediah

Erudite
If you want to reach

fallout is pwned by aiming for the eyes

red ryder is awesome in wasteland

christmas story

Higher Game

Arcane
Yeah, and in one event, you even get attacked by kids, and even a baby with a gun! :lol: It was the Topeka tribe next to the train. That stupid part almost killed my rangers, but I managed to escape and come back later with assault rifles. :twisted:

Red Ryder, yep. Killing off Highpool is creepy because it says you can still hear the kids laughing somehow.

bryce777

Erudite
Oh,a nd one more thing that totally rocks in wasteland - the injury system.

Serious, critical, comatose, dead.

It got really tense trying to use your medical skill during some of the more brutal battles, and it was awesome to see doctor or medical skill finally go up when you used it.

Higher Game

Arcane
bryce777 said:
Serious, critical, comatose, dead.

Nope. It's unconscious, serious, critical, mortal, comatose, dead. A player is probably really dumb if he can't save a ranger by then. I think even an Oblivion fan could handle it. :D

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
Is there any copy protection question in this game? Like in Champions of Krynn, they were very annoying. Surprise, Wasteland has a Bard's Tale-like combat system! That is great! I am going to try it :)

Higher Game

Arcane
It has a system where you have to read the paragraphs in a .pdf that comes with the game from the-underdogs. It used to be a book that came with the game. I guess it's a type of copy protection because you need the paragraphs to get certain passwords for the game. It's a minor inconvenience at worst, though. The fake paragraphs are funny, too! :twisted:

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
I tried playing it, and found that it saved before you enter new locations, which sucks. I think I tried working around it by minimizing with the windows-symbol button, copying save files, removing and renaming, but that's tedious.

Higher Game

Arcane
I used Winace to make saved game archives by simply coping everything, which isn't a problem for a < 1 Mb game. :D

I didn't really need it, though. I'm used to roguelike conventions, so I didn't mind hauling back to base and getting a new ranger to replace a dead one. Skills are very easily trained, and the level-up benefits are very small. The newbie would always have relatively low constitution, but having 30 instead of 40 isn't a huge deal. The other stats aren't hugely important, either, unless they're seriously low. I only restarted when I got butchered in Darwin trying to get some kevlar suits (succeeded the 2nd time), when I got killed by the overpowered shadow claw in the mine, and when I was wiped out by robots in Las Vegas.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
FrancoTAU said:
Mail Order Monsters needs a sequel/remake.

Hell yeah. I loved that game.

As to Wasteland, there were gobs of Wasteland remake projects. The big problem is a lot of them were going to use the same graphics as Wasteland. That wouldn't normally be a problem, but Wasteland often used the exact same graphics for all buildings in a few locations which made it damned hard to find the object of a quest or shop. Not too many buildings stood out from one another, even though there's the occational quest or goal located in one of those big, yellow buildings.

That was pretty much my big complaint about Wasteland. That and those robots openned a huge can of whup ass on me when I first went to Las Vegas.

mvBarracuda

Augur
Saint_Proverbius said:
FrancoTAU said:
Mail Order Monsters needs a sequel/remake.

Hell yeah. I loved that game.

As to Wasteland, there were gobs of Wasteland remake projects. The big problem is a lot of them were going to use the same graphics as Wasteland.
Some guy from NMA planned to create a Wasteland mod on the Fallout engine (or hopefully FIFE ;-)).

I guess this way the game will look superior to the original Wasteland; but I've never played it so I don't know if the Fallout art catches the Wasteland atmosphere. Unfortunately there weren't many guys interested in such a Wasteland remake @ NMA. What do you think about it: is this remake worth making? I guess it would be easier compared to making it on the Fallout engine as soon as FIFE and the map editor is ready.

Here is the thread:
http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19192

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom