Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

We need more open world ARPGs like Conan Exiles (or Elden Ring)!

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
If this year's shown anything with the success of Elden Ring, it's that quality open world ARPGs is a concept worth exploring further.
Whether these are pvp based games like some MMOs, primarily single player experiences like From's latest, or even a more RPG leaning version of Horizon Forbidden West, there are a lot of possibilities here.

What would you like to see in this subgenre? Who would be a great developer?

SumDrunkGuy

Thank you Poet. What this thread is really about is Conan Exiles and how it's basically the ultimate open world ARPG. Few games match it's excellence. It allows you to run around fully nude, it lets you worship any god you please, you can build kingdoms and rule the lands. They just don't make games like this anymore. Based game is redpilled af and needs to be experienced by EVERYONE!

Words can't explain how majestic Conan is.

SumDrunkGuy

Conan Exiles is far more difficult than Elden Ring if I'm being completely honest. Every direction I've explored so far has creatures that fuck me up. I still can't seem to stray too far from the oasis and desert areas.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Open world, single player game with Daggerfall lvl of RPGsness set in Conan universe based on books, with option to be whoever you want (Kenshi style) would be GLORIOUS

SumDrunkGuy

I wouldn't recommend going into the Unnamed City unless your character is the ultimate badass. I ran into a dragon, a giant snake, a army of skeletons and their "god", and I got cursed just by stepping foot in the place. Pure evil, jfc.

Harthwain

Magister
We need more open world ARPGs like Conan Exiles
Could you elaborate? On the surface it looks like MMO sandbox survival game - one of many - so it didn't catch my attention whatsoever. The crapload of DLCs doesn't help either. And I am the kind of a guy who is usually interested in survival elements in games.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Elden Ring is great cuz is different than the generic gear farming, cooldown managing boredom that we generally see from AAA devs...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Could you elaborate? On the surface it looks like MMO sandbox survival game - one of many - so it didn't catch my attention whatsoever. The crapload of DLCs doesn't help either. And I am the kind of a guy who is usually interested in survival elements in games.

It's a great game. You can play it multiplayer on a server, or make your own local server and play it single-player. In that case, you can customize everything including resources needed for crafting, yield of resources you harvest, XP gain, etc etc, to make it more suitable for a single player experience. Or just play co-op with friends on a small private server (where you can also adjust everything to your liking).

It has genuinely good exploration with interesting vistas, no quest compass, extremely cool atmosphere, mod support with a ton of mods available to use, etc. It's a very good explorefag game.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
GTA1 stealing carts, carriages, wagons, horses/mules/sheep/goats and running over peasants?

Seriously, wth wasn't that game skinned/modded more?

Well, there is this..

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
We need a medieval Grand Theft Auto
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Yes, Kingdom Come: Deliverance is a respectable medieval crime simulator:

EsHbtxu.png

CxqxNb1.png

S89GPyG.png

SumDrunkGuy

Jarl summed it up better than I can. It is part sandbox survival and I suppose one could strictly play it that way if they chose to but that would be a huge waste. It has superb adventure elements and exploration that set it apart from shit like Rust and games of that ilk. I know people have gotten sick of Dark Souls comparisons around here but Conan really does have a similar sense of walking into the unknown, which could result in reward or disaster.

I posted earlier about wandering into the Unnamed City for the first time and getting figuratively raped in every single orifice. That was a very Dark Souls moment. There aren't really any other games that are quite like this one that I know of so it's rather difficult to explain. Like I said Jarl put it best.

mediocrepoet

Patron
I was joking before, but out of curiosity, does Conan Exiles still have that genitals slider? I sort of got confused by this one because wasn't it an MMO and then they changed it so it would play offline too?

And it's the game that has like a pretty intricate combat system isn't it? With like different angles of attack? Or am I getting my wires crossed.

I basically just remember someone screwing around with it and making his dick so long he couldn't move because it clipped into the ground and rooted him there. :lol:

mediocrepoet

Patron
What is it with you and this dick slider.
It's about the only thing I remember because it was hilarious. That and they really did AFAIK have some sort of weird split in the game where it became like two separate projects or something, kind of like how The Secret World got turned into Secret World Legends.

Besides, what is it with you and my question? Jealous?

mediocrepoet

Patron
Ah there it is, based on the MMO thread about it, all that crap is still in there. Anyway, it was a question about how much the game still resembled the original MMO this thing is based on, Age of Conan. I couldn't remember the name of that either. Like I say, I don't follow these things that closely and once they start doing things like taking subscription MMOs and splitting them into one or more projects, it can be hard to say what features each has.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom