Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

We need more open world ARPGs like Conan Exiles (or Elden Ring)!

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Not if you're just trying to show the world your glory.
That sounds gay. If I wanted to show the world my glorious pee pee I'd run outside butt naked screaming,"Look At It!"
Seems like a good way to get arrested.

SumDrunkGuy

I was joking before, but out of curiosity, does Conan Exiles still have that genitals slider? I sort of got confused by this one because wasn't it an MMO and then they changed it so it would play offline too?

And it's the game that has like a pretty intricate combat system isn't it? With like different angles of attack? Or am I getting my wires crossed.

I basically just remember someone screwing around with it and making his dick so long he couldn't move because it clipped into the ground and rooted him there. :lol:

I'm not sure. I always play as the lady as long as the game lets me make her attractive. Cyberpunk let's you play around with the dick a bit.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Thank you Poet. What this thread is really about is Conan Exiles and how it's basically the ultimate open world ARPG. Few games match it's excellence. It allows you to run around fully nude, it lets you worship any god you please, you can build kingdoms and rule the lands. They just don't make games like this anymore. Based game is redpilled af and needs to be experienced by EVERYONE!

Do you think crafting and survival mechanics are necessary in an open world ARPG? I find that the mechanics of those tend to be busy work, either because meters are draining and bitching at you and become a pain in the ass simulator (how I think of survival games in general) or a gay home decorator game making me do shit like build a hut and organize my fucking closet or something which is shit I don't even want to do in real life, nevermind in a game.

Furthermore, how do you have an incline OW ARPG and not end up with something like Assassin's Creed X or the next TES walking sim?

I enjoyed Elden Ring because it had none of that, it was basically Dark Souls transplanted into an open world environment without worrying about any of this other stuff.

I posted these elsewhere but whatever. Conan Exiles probably has the best building system in any game aside from Minecraft. I maintained this castle for 4 years on an official server and ran a slave market for real players to come and trade with me whenever I was online. Managed to recruit a few friends into being catchers to keep me stocked for a few months as well. Good times. I really wish they'd implement a mailbox to facilitate offline communication to ease business proposals between players.

Untitled.jpg

SumDrunkGuy

Do you think crafting and survival mechanics are necessary in an open world ARPG? I find that the mechanics of those tend to be busy work, either because meters are draining and bitching at you and become a pain in the ass simulator (how I think of survival games in general) or a gay home decorator game making me do shit like build a hut and organize my fucking closet or something which is shit I don't even want to do in real life, nevermind in a game.

Furthermore, how do you have an incline OW ARPG and not end up with something like Assassin's Creed X or the next TES walking sim?

I enjoyed Elden Ring because it had none of that, it was basically Dark Souls transplanted into an open world environment without worrying about any of this other stuff.

Not at all. I actually hate survival games. They feel like busywork to me. The reason it works in Conan is because it's not the central focus of the gameplay. There's much exploration and adventure to be had, and adventuring often yields new materials and opportunities for expanding on the building process. There's also plenty of things to create and perks that sort of trivialize hunger and thirst which are two things I hate in games.

Basically the exploration enhances the survival/building elements and vice versa, and that elevates this from being just another lame survival game. Like if Minecraft and Elden Ring had a baby together it would be something like Conan Exiles. That's the best way I can explain it.

FriendlyMerchant

Yes, Kingdom Come: Deliverance is a respectable medieval crime simulator:

S89GPyG.png
I'm glad pillows are plentiful nowadays. Kill a man that way just looks gross as you get the man's dirty goy breath on your hands. Even worse... Henry is killing them with his left hand. That's even more disgusting knowing the hand use customs in the middle ages.

Codex Year of the Donut
I'm glad pillows are plentiful nowadays. Kill a man that way just looks gross as you get the man's dirty goy breath on your hands. Even worse... Henry is killing them with his left hand. That's even more disgusting knowing the hand use customs in the middle ages.
killing someone with a pillow is way harder than they make it look in the movies tho

Machocruz

Arcane
Exiles is one of the few "set your own goals" games that succeeds in not being an aimless, pointless, busywork bore. It succeeds where games like No Man's Sky fail. Better, more substantial systems, more interesting universe, more and better combat, better building, better crafting, better explore,harder survival, etc. No playing errand boy for random NPCs. No shitty half-baked plot to follow waypoints along to.

I'm a dungeon crawler at heart, so my main aim is to get to the point where I can find and tackle the dungeons, everything else I do in the game currently is just to prepare for and support that, making basic, shabby bases as I move up the resource/crafting tier. After I've had my fill of that, then maybe I'll put some real effort into building/aesthetics.

Lhynn

Arcane
Conan has some superb mods available too. Medieval armors and weapons, rp mods to make you able to create your own character sheet, with skills like lockpicking that allow you to open closed doors of other players bases, mods with custom races, to let you play everything from dark and gritty realism to low fantasy to high fantasy.

And it is soon getting an overhaul adding magic to the game, conan magic, using corruption mechanics and very in line with the conan universe, meaning no spammable fireballs but ways of affecting other players and the environment, also adding rituals, to be able to summon your horrible abominations.

Lately ive been playing rather heavily on a witcher rp server, they have ported the system in a fairly faithful fashion. Admins run a tight ship and everyone is asked to remain in character at all times.

SumDrunkGuy

This level design is Demon's Souls levels of brilliance.

Aw damit I had to retreat. I'm comin back to it though, this time with a third water flask and a ton of grilled steaks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Generic-Giant-Spider

I posted these elsewhere but whatever. Conan Exiles probably has the best building system in any game aside from Minecraft. I maintained this castle for 4 years on an official server and ran a slave market for real players to come and trade with me whenever I was online. Managed to recruit a few friends into being catchers to keep me stocked for a few months as well. Good times. I really wish they'd implement a mailbox to facilitate offline communication to ease business proposals between players.

Untitled.jpg

I need all the hot goth girls you got and quick.

Gamezor

Learned
Is it a proc generated world or is it always the same? Also is best to play on pc?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ah there it is, based on the MMO thread about it, all that crap is still in there. Anyway, it was a question about how much the game still resembled the original MMO this thing is based on, Age of Conan. I couldn't remember the name of that either. Like I say, I don't follow these things that closely and once they start doing things like taking subscription MMOs and splitting them into one or more projects, it can be hard to say what features each has.

Age of Conan is an MMO from around 2008 or so, which they kept updating and releasing expansions for.

Conan Exiles is a completely different gaming running on an Unreal Engine (UE 4 I think?) and while it is designed for multiplayer, it features private servers and the ability to play single player by making your own local server and not inviting anyone lol. Also the option to adjust literally EVERYTHING on your private server to make the gameplay pace and difficulty more to your liking. There's also a pretty massive modding scene that makes everything from cosmetic mods, gameplay balance adjustments, quality of life additions, and even completely new worlds to play on.

It's kinda like Elder Scrolls, except without friendly NPCs that give you quests. The focus is on a hostile world with lots of exploration, and player-built settlements interacting with each other if you play multi.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Ah there it is, based on the MMO thread about it, all that crap is still in there. Anyway, it was a question about how much the game still resembled the original MMO this thing is based on, Age of Conan. I couldn't remember the name of that either. Like I say, I don't follow these things that closely and once they start doing things like taking subscription MMOs and splitting them into one or more projects, it can be hard to say what features each has.

Age of Conan is an MMO from around 2008 or so, which they kept updating and releasing expansions for.

Conan Exiles is a completely different gaming running on an Unreal Engine (UE 4 I think?) and while it is designed for multiplayer, it features private servers and the ability to play single player by making your own local server and not inviting anyone lol. Also the option to adjust literally EVERYTHING on your private server to make the gameplay pace and difficulty more to your liking. There's also a pretty massive modding scene that makes everything from cosmetic mods, gameplay balance adjustments, quality of life additions, and even completely new worlds to play on.

It's kinda like Elder Scrolls, except without friendly NPCs that give you quests. The focus is on a hostile world with lots of exploration, and player-built settlements interacting with each other if you play multi.

Thanks. I got confused because of the introduction of the single player mode to Age of Conan. Like I say, I didn't follow this stuff all that closely and even at the time, I wasn't overly clear on what was what.

Anyway, I tried this on Game Pass. I can see why the gameplay loop appeals to some people, but personally, I find it pretty janky and to basically be a survival crafting game, even if the survival portion is pretty relaxed. It's not really my thing though I found it sort of interesting and don't regret spending time on it which already elevates it above a lot of things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom