Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

We need more open world ARPGs like Conan Exiles (or Elden Ring)!

SumDrunkGuy

Jfc Klael's Stronghold/Warmaker's Sanctuary is one of the most unrelenting dungeons I've ever gone through. It's non-stop pressure. Me and my thrall just barely made it out alive and my thrall is a fuckin badass. I was so close to clearing that beast.

Last edited by a moderator:

SumDrunkGuy

Last run in Warmaker's Sanctuary was going pretty well at first. I managed to keep Arena Champion stunlocked with this nice legendary mace I found and we took her down.

Then shit went south fast...

I managed to pull her off but then my ass got killed while we were trying to escape. Fml.

edit

I DID IT! I finally cleared that mother fucking dungeon. The end boss was surprisingly a pushover compared to the rest of the shit in the dungeon but it was a satisfying victory none the less. Probably gonna check out The Arena next. I'd be amazed if anything tops Warmaker's Sanctuary. That was some damn fine dungeon crawling.

Lhynn

Arcane
Last run in Warmaker's Sanctuary was going pretty well at first. I managed to keep Arena Champion stunlocked with this nice legendary mace I found and we took her down.

Then shit went south fast...

I managed to pull her off but then my ass got killed while we were trying to escape. Fml.

edit

I DID IT! I finally cleared that mother fucking dungeon. The end boss was surprisingly a pushover compared to the rest of the shit in the dungeon but it was a satisfying victory none the less. Probably gonna check out The Arena next. I'd be amazed if anything tops Warmaker's Sanctuary. That was some damn fine dungeon crawling.

You are such a fucking noob its endearing to watch.

Sacibengala

Prophet
Do you guys recommends any mods that enrichs the gameplay but do not compromise or changes the conan style atmosphere?

SumDrunkGuy

You are such a fucking noob its endearing to watch.
Hey I made it into Warmaker's Sanctuary. That takes some skillz. Just wait until I'm done with my castle, I'll show her off. Ain't no noob capable of creating this monster.

Machocruz

Arcane
I stopped playing to get into Sekiro, but I kind of miss it now. It really has to be your only or main game you focus on if you want to really see what the game has to offer. It takes time to get there unless you have all your server settings set to make things trivially easy, which I don't advise at all. The Hyborian Age SHOULD bend you over a rock.

I saw someone claiming that they didn't bother with building anything and are just using legendary weapons dropped by bosses. I call bullshit, you can't get past stone age weapons and hemp clothing without crafting at least a furnace, armorer, and blacksmith bench, and stone doesn't do shit against bosses and iron doesn't fare much better.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Built with blood, sweat, and tears.

I don't get how/why people do this. I have barely enough patience to make a one tile thing with walls so the fucking sandstorms don't kill me and a sleeping bag in it and then a bunch of crafting desks and camp fire outside it + a chest by one of the walls. Later on, I stuck torches to each side of it so I could see anything in the dark since you can't sleep to pass time apparently. (Or if you can, I didn't figure it out during the time I spent on the game.)

Even doing that much was kind of a pain in my ass. I don't think I'm the target audience for this sort of thing. :lol:

SumDrunkGuy

Built with blood, sweat, and tears.

I don't get how/why people do this. I have barely enough patience to make a one tile thing with walls so the fucking sandstorms don't kill me and a sleeping bag in it and then a bunch of crafting desks and camp fire outside it + a chest by one of the walls. Later on, I stuck torches to each side of it so I could see anything in the dark since you can't sleep to pass time apparently. (Or if you can, I didn't figure it out during the time I spent on the game.)

Even doing that much was kind of a pain in my ass. I don't think I'm the target audience for this sort of thing. :lol:
Make yourself admin and you can shape the game the way you want it to be. I messed with a few things myself but nothing that trivializes the difficulty. I lowered stuff that I personally found to be tedious like thirst and hunger. That shit has nothing to do with difficulty and it doesn't make the game more immersive. It's just busy work.

I also disabled the mechanic where you lose your items on death and must return to your corpse to recover them. I didn't want to. Being the giant Soulsborne and Diablo fan that I am I love the thrill of trying to retrieve my stuff after failure but the mechanic is bugged in this game. My body/items kept randomly disappearing after death so fuck that shit. I just turned it off. If Funcom ever fixes it I'll be more than happy to use it.

SumDrunkGuy

Those giant snakes are the fucking worst man. I don't see any possible way of solo killing them because they're always in areas of corruption and their venom is potent as hell. You have to have assistance from some kind of thrall, either warrior or dancer (dancer to cancel out the corruption) and the MFer will most likely kill them anyways. Snakes are assholes.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
1460165_10151814836928284_1988966688_n.jpg

SumDrunkGuy

How tf is this game over 5 years old and there are still bugs where bodies and companions are randomly disappearing? My long-time adventure companion Deirdre Deathbringer just up and vanished the other day while we were fighting a 3-skull scorpion. She just fell through the mother fucking earth or some shit. I spent hours and hours looking for her and am forming more search parties today. How tf could you do this to me?! These are major bugs!

Lhynn

Arcane
How tf is this game over 5 years old and there are still bugs where bodies and companions are randomly disappearing? My long-time adventure companion Deirdre Deathbringer just up and vanished the other day while we were fighting a 3-skull scorpion. She just fell through the mother fucking earth or some shit. I spent hours and hours looking for her and am forming more search parties today. How tf could you do this to me?! These are major bugs!
She will naturally return to the last guarding spot, or she died. Check on your followers tab.

Can always retrieve her from there too, though I believe she loses her shit. Either way, its a shit thrall, you should aim for dalinsia or teimos, failing that just get cimmerian berserkers.

SumDrunkGuy

She will naturally return to the last guarding spot, or she died. Check on your followers tab.

Can always retrieve her from there too, though I believe she loses her shit. Either way, its a shit thrall, you should aim for dalinsia or teimos, failing that just get cimmerian berserkers.
Me and Deirdre have been through a lot together. She was with me the whole time I conquered Warmaker's Sanctuary. I can't just cast her away! Anyways I'm always on the lookout for new thralls to "recruit". I frequent Sep and Sinner's Refuge, though the latter place is starting to feel pretty limited in what t4 thralls spawn there. I keep getting the same 10 or so spawns.

Also even the lesser thrall fighters feel a bit overpowered. They can tank just about anything that doesn't poison or cause other status affects. Also Arena Champion. She seems to eat thralls for breakfast. Can't leave them alone with her.

Lhynn

Arcane

Me and Deirdre have been through a lot together. She was with me the whole time I conquered Warmaker's Sanctuary. I can't just cast her away! Anyways I'm always on the lookout for new thralls to "recruit". I frequent Sep and Sinner's Refuge, though the latter place is starting to feel pretty limited in what t4 thralls spawn there. I keep getting the same 10 or so spawns.
Sinners refuge is fine in pvp servers because the area has little of value. But if you are playing solo, then the mounds is where its at.

SumDrunkGuy

Sinners refuge is fine in pvp servers because the area has little of value. But if you are playing solo, then the mounds is where its at.

Ah yes, I briefly strolled through that place on my way up the mountain. I think I only ran into one NPC, he was a non-hostile. Seemed like a chill dude so I resisted the urge to give him a good clubbing. I need to start spending more time over in that area. I already have an epic set of Vanir gear crafted for the higher elevations. I kind of want to finish up all the desert and oasis dungeons first.

SumDrunkGuy

Huh, seems I may have inadvertently trivialized the difficulty a bit. I didn't realize Warmaker's was one of the last dungeons you're supposed to do and I did it first. Whoops. The other dungeons have been cake walks by comparison. Midnight Grove was pretty cool but not super challenging. I just assumed the toughest dungeons would be in the far north and east but apparently that's not the case.

Sacibengala

Prophet
Is it only me or these damn mobs are sponges of HP that takes ages to die in SP? I want to change that in the options but I'm concerned to screw the difficulty in the process.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Is it only me or these damn mobs are sponges of HP that takes ages to die in SP? I want to change that in the options but I'm concerned to screw the difficulty in the process.
Conan Exiles is designed for multiplayer, where a group of several players, each with one follower, will travel around killing mobs and exploring dungeons. For single-player, you'll want to spend a great deal of time upgrading your base, gaining levels, and learning new feats, so that when you do finally set out to explore you will be over-levelled and better-equipped relative to a multi-player group. You can also implement a mod that permits having more than one follower at a time, although the followers aren't as capable as other players. For server settings, you should reduce the damage done to you, and if you're still having an issue with enemies being HP-sponges despite being relatively over-levelled and better-equipped then you can also increase the amount of damage you deliver, though this should be a last resort. Keep in mind there are vast differences in difficulty between regions, and even some specific dungeons that are intended to be much more difficult than the surrounding region.

SumDrunkGuy

Pfft you do NOT want more than 1 follower. The leveled up t4 thralls are tanky as fuck. They're borderline OP.

Anyways I messed around on an official PVP server for about 24 hours. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be. Seems the community has a pretty strong honor code. Endgame players don't mess with the low level players and the low levels players seem to stay out of eachothers way. I did have one guy sniffing around my hut so I promplty chopped him in half. I had steel weapons built at that point and he was just a lowly bottom feeder. He never stood a chance.

There was a few extremely frustrating moments where I died and lost all my shit. If you want your stuff back you're forced to run back to your base which is god knows how far away and come back with another weapon. Had to do that more than a couple of times only to die again. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to spend 20 minutes running back and forth. I was ready to smash my tv.

Kainan

Learned
This game looks gay. I read some Conan stories and don't remember him building houses and crafting? Gothic 1/2 gave more Conan feeling when defeating enemies

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
We do need more open world RPGs, and we also need more RPGs with RNG skillchecks (like PnPs used to) and with a story that is based on what all you do and accomplish along your journey to the end, rather than where you’re guided to the end via storynodes A, B, C, D, etc.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
This game looks gay. I read some Conan stories and don't remember him building houses and crafting? Gothic 1/2 gave more Conan feeling when defeating enemies
Again, Conan Exiles was intended to be a quasi-MMORPG, where on each server groups of players would form tribes/factions each with their own base(s), with extensive crafting and base-building mechanics. The game is more fun as a single-player exploration-focused Open World RPG, but there are various difficulties stemming from the MMO design.

SumDrunkGuy

Again, Conan Exiles was intended to be a quasi-MMORPG,
Oh they haven't given up on that yet. If the dipshits spent as much time creating meaningful content and fixing bugs as they do adding retarded cosmetic crap for the MMO faggots this game would be a friggin masterpiece by now. But nope it's still a buggy mess. The Exiled Lands could feel so much denser. There's too many large stretches of area with nothing going on, and some dungeons feel unfinished like Gallman's or whatever it's called. You fight a crocadile miniboss and there's a big door behind him that just doesn't open? WTF? PUT SOMETHING THERE IDIOTS. And now they are introducing the battlepass shit. I hate game devs so, so much. They are the dumbest mother fuckers on planet earth and can't do anything right. You have dungeons that are literally unfinished and you're making HORSE ARMOR!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom