Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

We need more open world ARPGs like Conan Exiles (or Elden Ring)!

Zlaja

Arcane
It allows you to run around fully nude, it lets you worship any god you please, you can build kingdoms and rule the lands
And then you forget to log in for a week and when you get back in you notice that your entire estate with everything in it is gone. Had only the items in my inventory left. Felt like punching a ponny and uninstalled.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance is a respectable medieval crime simulator
Don't usually pickpocket in games, but in KCD it was a very fun feature. Neatly designed.

SumDrunkGuy

It allows you to run around fully nude, it lets you worship any god you please, you can build kingdoms and rule the lands
And then you forget to log in for a week and when you get back in you notice that your entire estate with everything in it is gone. Had only the items in my inventory left. Felt like punching a ponny and uninstalled.
I don't touch the multiplayer. Fuck that shit. Seems like it would ruin the whole experience.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
About Conan Exiles, I've heard that they will include sorcery.

I really wanna them to make sorcery more ritualistic and dangerous. IMO sorcery needs to fit the setting. In some historical settings, sorcery should be nonexistent, in others, dangerous and lead to insanity(Lovecraftian for eg), in others high sorcery with floating castles and so on. Conan is the "low magical setting", where magic is ritualistic. I don't wanna to see large pillars of fire and meteor swarm everywhere. I wanna see the player having to do crazy evil rituals to be able to conjure a minor "hellfire bolt" and being interrupted while channeling hellfire damaging the demonologist. And most of the spells being long rituals out of combat.

edit :

Last edited:

SumDrunkGuy

About Conan Exiles, I've heard that they will include sorcery.

I really wanna them to make sorcery more ritualistic and dangerous. IMO sorcery needs to fit the setting. In some historical settings, sorcery should be nonexistent, in others, dangerous and lead to insanity(Lovecraftian for eg), in others high sorcery with floating castles and so on. Conan is the "low magical setting", where magic is ritualistic. I don't wanna to see large pillars of fire and meteor swarm everywhere. I wanna see the player having to do crazy evil rituals to be able to conjure a minor "hellfire bolt" and being interrupted while channeling hellfire damaging the demonologist. And most of the spells being long rituals out of combat.

edit :

That looks wonderful. Seems like it will be seamlessly integrated in Conan's dark fantasy world. This game is the gift that keeps on giving.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
1655820874711.png

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Sorry for commiting the ultimate heresy of commenting sorcery in a update about sorcery...

Anwyay, here is the funcon stream

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
SCUM is pretty good as well. The basis of the game is that you play a condemned prisoner forced to compete in a Hunger Games style reality show. You're dropped off on an island to fight against puppets and other players. It has a complete metabolism system, crafting, etc....

SumDrunkGuy

I've been playing playing Conan for at least 48 hours straight, no sleep. I think my brain is fried. The past few hours were pretty productive though. I made my girl look bad. I mean real bad, MMMhm.

She's my naughty little slave driving princess <3

Sacibengala

Prophet
Why are u all praising a game (conan exile) with a buttload of DLCs and ingame store? Is this game good enough for making you guys look past that?

Artyoan

Arbiter
Conan Exiles is a very underrated game even as single player. Any parameter you want can be set so the difficulty and annoyances can be adjusted as the player likes. Thats good if you have the psychology to not abuse it and make the game trivial. I'll revisit it after this next major patch but I played 270 hours before getting tired of it. If the game had a better lighting system it could be extremely immersive with the day/night cycle.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Conan Exiles is a very underrated game even as single player. Any parameter you want can be set so the difficulty and annoyances can be adjusted as the player likes. Thats good if you have the psychology to not abuse it and make the game trivial. I'll revisit it after this next major patch but I played 270 hours before getting tired of it. If the game had a better lighting system it could be extremely immersive with the day/night cycle.

I've never seen a proper SP setup as far as variables go. The heart of the game is the MP.

Artyoan

Arbiter

I've never seen a proper SP setup as far as variables go. The heart of the game is the MP.
I have no regrets about ignoring MP entirely.

SumDrunkGuy

Mark my words Conan Exiles will be in the Codex's top 101 CRPGs some day. I'll see to that. No way queer shit like Ass Effect and Dragon Gayge make the list over that prestigious triumph. Conan Exiles is peak codexian entertainment.

Lhynn

Arcane
Why are u all praising a game (conan exile) with a buttload of DLCs and ingame store? Is this game good enough for making you guys look past that?
All cosmetic, a good number of them good quality.

Theres no ingame store, there will be with the new patch. Trying something different after the siptah DLC failed horribly due to several reasons, biggest of which was that it split their player base and therefore was completely abandoned by players.

Their latest dlc, the nemedian stuff, is just superb though, you can build some beautiful places with it, and the weapons look very good.

SumDrunkGuy

Seems I hit a bit of an impasse in gear progression. I've got endless amounts of hardened steel but star metal is scarce af. I managed to almost build a full set of epic heavy armor. I just need a bit more hardened leather to finish the set but that stuff is a pain in the ass to make. So I've been spending most of my time farming tier 4 slaves and smelting a fuckload of ore. I'm still not quite strong enough to take on a lot of the dungeons. Oh and I've also been farming fragments of power for feats. So much to do in this game.

Sacibengala

Prophet
Since everything is just cosmetics, what is essential on conan to get the most out of the game? Steam sale is on and I'm tempted to get a try.

SumDrunkGuy

Since everything is just cosmetics, what is essential on conan to get the most out of the game? Steam sale is on and I'm tempted to get a try.
Not sure what you mean by the bolded part. You start with nothing, not even clothes. The idea is you want to build tools, gear, a base of operations, and strengthen your character to the point that you can start exploring dungeons and eventually you'll want to expand to different regions of the map that have their own unique challenges. Contrary to what a lot of people think the game isn't aimless. There is a single overarching quest. It's kind of like Breath of the Wild but even better imo. You have one single task and the bulk of the game is pretty much you preparing yourself for it. You can also ignore the quest entirely and just play around in the world like any generic sandbox game. You do whatever you want.

Sacibengala

Prophet
Not sure what you mean by the bolded part. You start with nothing, not even clothes. The idea is you want to build tools, gear, a base of operations, and strengthen your character to the point that you can start exploring dungeons and eventually you'll want to expand to different regions of the map that have their own unique challenges. Contrary to what a lot of people think the game isn't aimless. There is a single overarching quest. It's kind of like Breath of the Wild but even better imo. You have one single task and the bulk of the game is pretty much you preparing yourself for it. You can also ignore the quest entirely and just play around in the world like any generic sandbox game. You do whatever you want.
Sorry, I should've been more clear. What is essential to buy, from the DLCs package. But your post helped me to see how the gameplay should work, thanks.

One more question, though. Compared to other dungeoncrawlers, How are the dungeon exploration in this game? A lote of games have great overworlds but pitiful dungeons to explore.

The base game. If you like the look of one of the cosmetic building packs then go for it, but really there's no point on even buying those until you're level 30-40 in game. The cosmetic packs are for tier-3 (Endgame) construction. You won't have the technology to create the materials to build the building pieces until you unlock the appropriate feats in game when leveling up. It doesn't take that long to get to end game, but there's no need to spend more money on something if you're not even sure you're going to make it there.

SumDrunkGuy

There's an expansion pack that adds a whole new map. Other than that I don't know anything about it but somebody in this thread said it wasn't very good. I bought it and might check it out at some point. It will be censored unlike my base game which is infuriating. I wish I knew that before I bought it.

A rundown of the cosmetic packs for those interested:

People of the Dragon - Saxon/Frankish/Germanic pack.
Architects of Argos - Greek pack.
Riders of Hyboria - Horse Armor, various building pieces to make better looking stables.
Debaucheries of Derketo - Treehouse platforms, luxurious silks and other assorted furniture, skimpy outfits for chicks.
Blood and Sand - This one is tricky. Has some cool armor, the building set is useful when combined with others but it's missing a few pieces to be able to use it as a flat replacement for the default pieces. Vaulted ceilings were introduced here.
The Riddle of Steel - Some decorations and armors from the Arnold Films.
Treasures of Turan - Persian pack.
Seekers of the Dawn - Japanese pack.
Savage Frontier - Supposed to be Pictish which are Conan's Native Americans. The armors are pretty cool looking here. The building pieces are another like Blood and Sand, best combined with others sets imo.
Jewel of the West - Roman pack.
The Imperial East - Chinese pack.

curds

Magister
What RPG mechanics does Conan have? I thought it was just a survival-craft game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom