Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

We need more open world ARPGs like Conan Exiles (or Elden Ring)!

Conan Exiles is a very underrated game even as single player. Any parameter you want can be set so the difficulty and annoyances can be adjusted as the player likes. Thats good if you have the psychology to not abuse it and make the game trivial. I'll revisit it after this next major patch but I played 270 hours before getting tired of it. If the game had a better lighting system it could be extremely immersive with the day/night cycle.
Thinking about getting this and trying it single player. Do you have any advice on what settings changes you made so it wasn't too over tuned while not being trivial?

Artyoan

Arbiter
Conan Exiles is a very underrated game even as single player. Any parameter you want can be set so the difficulty and annoyances can be adjusted as the player likes. Thats good if you have the psychology to not abuse it and make the game trivial. I'll revisit it after this next major patch but I played 270 hours before getting tired of it. If the game had a better lighting system it could be extremely immersive with the day/night cycle.
Thinking about getting this and trying it single player. Do you have any advice on what settings changes you made so it wasn't too over tuned while not being trivial?
The only thing I would absolutely change is the thrall enslavement time. Make it a small fraction of the default time. The rest you are probably better off leaving as the default and then adjusting bit by bit as you go. I think I ended up having damage dealt increased by 30%, damage taken decreased by 30%, longer day and night cycles, and a small decrease in resources needed to craft.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
A few possible server setting alterations, after the player has experienced the default settings:
  • Progression - No XP rate changes should be needed
  • Day/Night Cycle - due to Conan Exiles being an MMORPG, there isn't a means of waiting / skipping time
    • Nighttime speed increase
    • Dusk/Dawn speed increase moderately
  • Survival
    • Consider unchecking the option for dropping all equipment & inventory with your corpse on death, which then requires a 'corpse run' to retrieve everything
  • Combat
    • Player damage multiplier - increase as a last resort, if you're encountering HP sponges (but consider first whether the area is too high level)
    • Player damage taken multiplier - decrease
    • NPC respawn multiplier - increase (longer duration to respawn)
    • Durability multiplier - decrease (affects non-combat tools as well)
  • Harvesting
    • Item spoil scale rate - decrease
    • Harvest amount multiplier - increase greatly
  • Crafting
    • Crafting time multiplier - decrease drastically
    • Thrall crafting time multiplier - decrease drastically
    • Fuel burn time multiplier - increase drastically
  • Abandonment
    • Disable building abandonment should be checked
    • Disable thrall decay should be checked
  • Chat - Irrelevant in single-player
  • Purge
    • Purge preparation time - Set to whatever is comfortable for you

SumDrunkGuy

I didn't realize that joining a clan means that the leader automatically owns all of your shit. That's the dumbest fucking thing I've ever seen. Fuck clans, turning that shit off.

Also this game should let you send your thralls out to collect resources for you. That shit gets super old after a while. I've just been cranking the harvesting multiplier in singleplayer. Fuck it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would have been awesome if there had've been a "designate architect" function so that the game would remember who owned any given building. That way if your clan was helping in a construction you could place the ghosts of all the building pieces, they could come fill them in, and the building when complete would be permanently flagged as your personal property and retained upon leaving the clan.

As it stands, the only way I'd ever join a clan is if there's a firm policy of "What's mine is mine, what's yours is yours, except in dire emergencies or given consent." upon entry. Even playing with a group of friends this can be annoying, when you have "that one guy" who constantly dies and drains resources re-equipping himself.

SumDrunkGuy

Would have been awesome if there had've been a "designate architect" function so that the game would remember who owned any given building. That way if your clan was helping in a construction you could place the ghosts of all the building pieces, they could come fill them in, and the building when complete would be permanently flagged as your personal property and retained upon leaving the clan.

As it stands, the only way I'd ever join a clan is if there's a firm policy of "What's mine is mine, what's yours is yours, except in dire emergencies or given consent." upon entry. Even playing with a group of friends this can be annoying, when you have "that one guy" who constantly dies and drains resources re-equipping himself.
I got fucked. Basically they sent me an invite and kicked me out shortly after so they could have my building. Seemed like a noob move considering I didn't have anything of value. I'll remember their names. Would have been nice if the game gave you a warning about that shit but oh well. Live and learn. I wont be associating with clans anymore.

WaterDrinker

Anybody try out the new expansion? How is it? I miss dis game :(

Lhynn

Arcane
Sorcery for conan? pretty good. Revamped attribute system thats a step up from the old one, weaker thralls, smoother animations and loading times, the magic system is very well made. Overall the game finally feels feature complete, it is a system that makes you explore the world.

The bad is mostly the new cash shop, its overpriced and while everything there is just cometic, it still leaves a sour taste on the mouth. Also the battlepass is grindy cancer that I would not advice anyone to make an effort to finish.

Sacibengala

Prophet
Sorcery for conan? pretty good. Revamped attribute system thats a step up from the old one, weaker thralls, smoother animations and loading times, the magic system is very well made. Overall the game finally feels feature complete, it is a system that makes you explore the world.

The bad is mostly the new cash shop, its overpriced and while everything there is just cometic, it still leaves a sour taste on the mouth. Also the battlepass is grindy cancer that I would not advice anyone to make an effort to finish.
And the game is 20gb lighter.

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Thank you Poet. What this thread is really about is Conan Exiles and how it's basically the ultimate open world ARPG. Few games match it's excellence. It allows you to run around fully nude, it lets you worship any god you please, you can build kingdoms and rule the lands. They just don't make games like this anymore. Based game is redpilled af and needs to be experienced by EVERYONE!

Words can't explain how majestic Conan is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom