Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

We Who Are About To Die -- Gladiator-themed Roguelite with Physics-based Combat -- now in Early Access

Fargus

Arcane
I'm generally not into rogue shit because it pisses me off and i consider this type of games low effort trash that makes you waste more time that you would if it was just a normal game. But this one is very fun, i managed to get to level 16 so far with criminal scum background and i'm still alive. Gadiator difficulty.

Combat has mount&blade with rubber dolls feeling to it but you can break armor or targed already exposed bodyparts. Fights can be extremely intense.

But the prices for good gear are ridiculous and some matches just obliterate your weapons and armor. The way item prices, purchase and repairs are handled makes it feel like a fucking gacha or mobile shit at times. Often i end up with all of my gear broken because to repair some weapon or piece of armor you have to put it in auxiliary slot and go fight for 1 match. Not to mention to restore at least 400 condition you have to spend 5 thousand gold. And if you have no spare stuff... well fuck you then and go pick up trash thrown by the crowd and pray to the gods. I had a fight with some spearchucker very late in my run and considering how bad spears are in this game it was my only saving grace because all my stuff was nearly broken and i had no cuirass, no suitable weapon, had no option to buy one before the match other than rerolling store inventory like a retard and i had little money so i went into fight empty handed. The arena was covered in grass so it took time before i found a weapon so i was just bashing my opponents head with whatever trash that was on the ground - amphoras, sticks, stones, boards lol. Spearchucker failed to land a single decent hit. Crowd was pissed of course because it was the worst match ever but very funny non the less.

It's good idea to get skollo upgrades for cheaper and better healing and maybe better repairs asap. Entourage is costly but great upgrade because it gives you two goons in some battles to even the odds and they hold their own well while you can stab enemies in the back. Faction matches are the easiest and best way to get money, they give no influence however. But influence is never a problem it's the gold.

My worst run so far was with a slave background because 50% of your earned gold is taken away from you. I managed to survive some matches and then a sole gladiator ended me because i was running around in underpants with just sword and shield lmao.

Had a run that was promising at start as some rich nigger with free entourage upgrade and nice amount of starting gold. But i was goofing around too much and got raped by one of the champions with a two handed sword.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom